Trying to decide between 2014 Mazda6 4-door and 2014 Mazda3 5-door...

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by allfiredup, Dec 18, 2013.

?

2014 Mazda6 4-door or 2014 Mazda3 5-door?

1. 2014 Mazda6 i Touring 4-door

25.0%
  2. 2014 Mazda3 s Touring 5-door

75.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knight427

knight427 theenemysgateisdown

Reputations:
    I just ran across this:

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2015
  2. allfiredup

allfiredup Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    My mom and I have been shopping for a decent used car around $5000 for my aunt. She is 78, still works full-time as a waitress at Cracker Barrel and commutes 20 miles one-way to work. She has a 1996 Olds 88 with 250k+ miles on it and it is constantly in need of repair. She also only gets about 17mpg despite 90% of her driving being on the highway. She paid paid off her house a few years ago and could easily buy any car she wanted, but she is one of those people who won't spend a penny on herself unless it's absolutely essential. She also has two sons, one with with a grandson that she has also raised and the other is on 'disability' and both he and his 'girlfriend/fiance' live with my aunt and don't work. Basically, her sons are parasites and have always taken every penny they could from her while she drives a sickly 17-year old car, works 40+ hours per week at the age of 78 and shops for her own clothes at Goodwill. I hate them.

(NOTE- this aunt is actually my mother's half-sister but I've always been as close to her and loved her as much as I could if they 'full' sisters. However I don't even call her children my cousins because of the way they're basically trash and treat her horribly.)

My other aunt (my mom's oldest half-sister, she was 82 and my mom was 59 at the time) died last August. She had a 2010 Honda Accord LX-P with only 8500 miles on it and she changed her will in April of 2013 (four months prior to her death) to leave the Accord to my 78-year old aunt because she wanted her to have a safe, almost new, reliable car. Immediately after her death, her daughter called my aunt to inform her that she and her brothers would be challenging the will in court if she accepted the car! I've always hated her daughter and knew she was witch (with a capital B....or that word that rhymes with "runt")! But I was still shocked and extremely p!ssed off when I found out what she did. Not wanting to cause any trouble, my poor old Aunt Betty refused to accept the Accord. Some anonymous person sent a letter to everyone in the family telling them about her threatening and intimidating my aunt into refusing the car! That person also sent the letter to the church she and her family attends and where she has worked part-time for years, just so they knew what a charitable and loving person they have in their midst. I have no idea who sent it, but it caused quite a backlash against that awful troll of a woman. Meanwhile, on a completely unrelated note, I didn't realize how high postage is just to mail a letter until I had to send a stack of them a while back.... =)

When that happened, my mom and I decided we could spend $5-$6k of our own money to buy her something better to drive. I found a few that looked promising, they were all 10+ years old but one-owner, in excellent condition and with only 45-88k miles on them! They were efficient and very likely would be reliable, but then a friend on another site made me start thinking about safety. The difference in crash test results for a 1997 Honda Accord and a 2013 Acccord is mind-blowing! I also read the results of a study on the severity of injuries suffered by the elderly in car accidents compared to the injuries experienced by a 30-year old in the same exact accident and, again, the results were astounding!

Mom and I decided that instead of buying a $6k used car, we'd just make a $6k down payment on a safe new or CPO vehicle that cost no more than $16k. That would leave my aunt with a $10k balance to finance and she would have no problem paying the monthly payment on that. She would never have bought herself a new car otherwise, but my mom made it clear that we would be offended if she refused our gift of the down payment! I quickly settled on a new 2013 Mazda3 i Sport 4-door as the best car for the money. It stickered for $20,020, but the dealer where I got my CX-9 had one left and agreed to let me have it for $15k plus sales tax OTD! That included a $1k owner loyalty incentive and the car would have to be co-titled in either mine or my mom's name to get that $1k. But that was great because in Georgia, as long as she doesn't mention the car in her will, it will automatically become my mom's property upon her death. We'll dontate it or sell it and give the money to charity, but her blood-sucking sons won't get their hands on it, which is a plus!

I went to write up the deal on Saturday afternoon and was planning to bring my aunt back on Monday to sign the loan docs. The only 2013 Sport they had left was Black with black interior, not what I would choose but for the price it was fine. When I went to see and drive it, a Graphite Metallic 2013 Mazda3 i Touring 4-door caught my eye. It had 'Sand' interior which is what Mazda likes to call Beige, but it was a nice contrast with the exterior and it brightened up the inteiror a lot. On their Beige/Sand inteirors, they still use Black carpeting, Black dashboard and the door panels are two-tone with part being Black and part Sand. The seats are covered in Beige fabric and the entire look is very upscale for a compacy car at any price. The Touring would cost another $1025 or so, but it added alloy wheels, Bluetooth phone connection, 6-speaker audio, Dual-zone automatic climate control, leather-wrapped steering wheel and shifter, Advanced Keyless Entry & Ignition (smart key), Rear-seat armrest with cupholder and delay-off courtesy lights. Definitely a LOT of features for $1025!

Ultimately, we got the Graphite Touring model for $16,025 plus $1082 in tax for a total of $17,107. The sticker price was $21,195, so it was a great deal! Mom and I picked up the $7,107 ( I only gave $2,107 and mom did $5k) and my aunt qualified for 0.9% financing for 36-months on the balance. Her payment will just be $281/month for 36-months and she'll save at least half of that amount in gas thanks to the high fuel economy.

She cried when I took it to her house and told her it belonged to her, or it will officially on Monday when she signs the papers! She has never had a new car before and I'm so happy that we were able to help her get one.....

While I was waiting around for them to detail the car for me and to prepare the papers that I needed, I had to wander around the lot and look at the Mazda6 inventory. I found a 2014 Mazda6 i Touring with the Touring Technology Package in Blue Reflex with Black leatherette interior. I happened to notice the production date was April 2013, so it had sat on the lot for 9-10 months. I don't even remember how it all transpired, but I told my salesman that I knew they'd had it for almost a year and would be motivated to sell it. I told him if he could get me in a 36-month lease with $1000 or less due at signing and a payment of $275/month, I'd take take it off his hands....and not to come back with some wild counter-offer that wasn't even close or I might not take EITHER car! He was back in five minutes- $1000 due at signing, $0 first month payment and 35-months at $283/month! I told him if they would include the rear lip spoiler including installation, we had a deal (retails for $350 plus about $200 labor). They agreed and my parents took me back over to pick it up Saturday night after I had delievered Aunt Betty's car to her....

I've gone back and forth between the Touring and Grand Touring models,but the Touring with Tech Package has the Bose 11spkr audio, Navigation, Keyless Entry & Ignition, Smart City Brake Support (auto-braking), Rain-sensing wipers and heated, auto-dimming mirrors plus Homelink remote. The seats are "leatherette' but they actually look and feel better than the 'real' leather ones in the Grand Touring model. They also feel like they will be more durable and hold up well in the long run. I find it odd that they aren't heated, but I never use the heated seats in my CX-9 thanks to a heated garage so it's not really an issue for me. But I wish Mazda had found something better than the word "leather-ette" to call the material....synthetic leather, man-made leather, almost anything would sound better!

It is a stunning car on the exterior and looks almost identical to the Grand Touring. It has the same 19" wheels and adding the rear lip spoiler, which is standard on the Grand Touring, made it look almost perfect! I've put 260 miles on it since I got it and I've averaged 31.8mpg overall during that time. That is pretty dang impressive for an engine that isn't broken in yet and I've spent more time on surface streets and two-lane highways than I normally do. I'm anxious to see how well it does on the interstate with the cruise set at 75mph.....

knight427 and hizzaah like this.
  3. knight427

knight427 theenemysgateisdown

Reputations:
    Congrats on the car, where are the pics?

4. allfiredup

Reputations:
    Since my last posting on 2/04/14, I have only driven my new Mazda6 another 20 miles or so because I've had a nasty case of the flu! :( The dealer had to order the rear spoiler in my color (Blue Reflex) and it came in last Friday but I've been too sick to go have it installed..

And now we're looking at three or four days of snow and ice here in North Georgia, so it will probably be next week before I finally have it installed. They'll detail it then and I'll take some pics.

In the meantime, here are a few photos from the dealership website-

JM1GJ1V66E1159119-2c.jpg

JM1GJ1V66E1159119-5c.jpg

5. irkan

irkan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Here I am in the same boat as you were :p

Any regrets on not getting the 3? I test drove the 3, loved the Active Display and MZD Connect, hated the seats discomfort and the firm ride.

I had great expectations before test driving the 3, .. I am going to schedule a test drive for the 6 and see, I will gladly sacrifice the AD and MZD Connect for more comfortable ride and seats.

6. allfiredup

Reputations:
    I barely had the Mazda6 i Touring for two months when it was totaled on April 12. I was hit (t-boned) by a drunk driver as a I made a left turn (on a green left arrow, he ran the red light) and the car was demolished! But I walked away with only minor contact burns from the side-impact and curtain airbags and the seatbelt!

I replaced it with another 2014 Mazda6, but this time I got the Grand Touring (same color- Blue Reflex w/ Black interior) but it has quite a few nice upgrades vs. the Touring model. I couldn't get a sweet lease deal like I had before, so I bought this one. I got a great deal at $26,800 ($30,490 sticker) and 0.9% APR for 60 months.

I think it's safe to say that I am very happy with my choice of the Mazda6 over the Mazda3....happy enough that I did it twice! =)

I found the instrumentation on the 3 (especially the digital speedo w/ analog tachometer) more annoying than anything. The Mazda CONNECT infotainment setup is pretty cool in the 3, but the 6 offers all the same important features (in a slightly less cool-looking interface).

But the real difference between the two is in the overall ride and comfort. The 6 is quieter, feels much more substantial (even though it only weighs 200lbs more) and the seats are definitely more comfortable. I also think the 6 looks better than the 3, especially when you see them side-by-side.

I look forward to hearing how your test drive of the 6 goes! =)

7. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Please tell me you guys are opting for the 6 speed manual 6?

8. allfiredup

Reputations:
    No, actually it's the 6-speed automatic. The Grand Touring model (the one I have) is only available with the 6-speed automatic. My previous Touring model was offered with the 6-speed manual, but you can't get any factory options on the 6-speed manual model. The Touring w/ 6-speed automatic is available with a Technology Package (Navigation, Bose audio, Smart City Brake Support, Advanced Smart Key).

From 1990 to 2012, I never owned a vehicle with an automatic transmission. My 2012 CX-9 GT was my first and my new Mazda6 is the second. Driving a manual transmission in Atlanta traffic just isn't realistic anymore...

Besides, the 6-speed automatic version of the Mazda6 is quicker AND more fuel efficient than the 6-speed manual version (based on tests of manual and automatic versions by Car & Driver and Motor Trend). I can live with that! =)

9. irkan

irkan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ouch! sorry to hear about the accident and glad that you only walked with minor injuries :thumbsup:

Choosing the same car after a wrecking accident shows that you are extremely happy with the car :D thanx for sharing your experience with us.

I will test drive the 6 and will definitely post my impressions on Mazda6 vs Mazda3

10. allfiredup

Reputations:
    I must say that the 6 performed exceptionally in the accident. The guy was going 45mph+ and driving a Ford F250 work truck. The impact was centered on the rear passenger door and it spun me around clockwise and I hit a curb which folded two of the wheels under the car.

It happened on a Saturday night just after 11pm. I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly the police and paramedics arrived, but I just assumed they were nearby and someone who saw it happen called 911. The next day, I discovered that MY CAR was the one who called 911! It has a feature called "E911 Automatic Emergency Notification" that uses a Bluetooth--paired phone to call 911 and transmit the vehicle location any time one or more airbags deploy! It's a cool feature.

Anyway, I'm curious which Mazda3 model you test drove? Was it the 's' Touring/Grand Touring with the 2.5L engine?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.