Trying Alienware one last time

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by votum, Mar 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. votum

votum Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Against my better judgement I am trying an alienware purchase again. I was deployed during the refund process the last time, forcing me to use email only, which was hopefully the root of the issues I had.

So anyway, I am stuck between 15 and 17 now. I had a 17r4 with 1070 and 1440P. That is not an option any more for some reason. I heard Dell got their **** together with the 1440P screens, and really want to try my luck. But, the laptop is mainly for trucking around the world with, and TBH the 17R4 is about 1.5" wider than it needs to be, making bags a nightmare. I also plan on doing a sweet 1080TI build at some point in the next few months.

So I got these offers from Dell:
    15R3
    7820HK
    120hz FHD Screen
    16GB 2667 Ram
    512 SSD/1 TB HDD (They wouldn't remove this option)
    99 Watt battery
    Total: $1915+tax
    ---------------------------
    17R4
    7820HK
    120hz QHD screen
    16GB 2400
    512/1TB
    Total: 2332+tax
    ---------------------------

I have a 1,000 dollar gift card, which I know I can sell, for a loss, and I have nothing to buy from Dell. If they had a 21:9 120+hz monitor I'd buy that, but they don't at the moment that I found. In addition, I'm in love with the port layout on these new laptops. I bought an MSI GS73VR as a placeholder for a few months and the ports are idiotic. Why does everyone put usb on the right?

So yeah, should I take the plunge again with Alienware? And if so, from people who've got the laptops, would you recommend the 15 over the 17. (I wish the 17 with a 1070 was an option, I'd get that)

jpsm likes this.
  2. jpsm

jpsm Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Will be getting a 15r3 too with similar specs but only at the outlet so i can save abit a bnew machine imo will be a lottery in terms of thermals. Anyway howd you get a 1k usd coupon/discount :O . Max discount a customer rep gave me over chat is 2% on the refurb laptops.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

3. GTO_PAO11

GTO_PAO11 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    How were you able to get the AW 17 to $2332? That is so dope

4. adi_aw

adi_aw Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Be careful with 120Hz screens! They don't work with the integrated graphics card so you'll be using your discrete graphics card all the time which would give you really horrible battery life.
    So I believe the 120Hz screens are TN panels. Never in a million years would I buy a TN panel again. Just no.

5. woodzstack

woodzstack Company Representative

Reputations:
    That's some crazy stats. If you face some issues, follow up with me if you can't find any help, I would love to tackle the mysteries of that laptop !
    I'd go with the 17" Just to be safe... it's thier mainstream lineup, things just might work out better. (though I wouldn't be surprised if it's like same motherboard in both series the 15" and 17"

Aroc likes this.
  6. Aroc

Aroc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This is generally good advice. Things just work out nicer in in the 17 inch class chassis (IME and in my preference)

Since you are doing a desktop build, I'd save the $417 difference then apply it towards your DT build. That is roughly what I did this time around. I went with the $2K 15 inch (Eurocom Tornado F5, for me) kept the GTX 1070 in it, then also built a DT. That seemed like an OK compromise.