Trouble with installing XP on Asus G51VX

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Ensaine, Jan 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ensaine

Ensaine Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi there. I was hoping someone could help me with an issue I've been having while trying to install WinXP to my G51VX.

I followed instructions I found on this forum on how to make the WinXP have my correct SATA drivers, etc... and that seemed to go ok. My problem is actually when I boot up to the cd just after it says "press any key to boot from cd".

Right after that, it says "setup is inspecting your hardware" and then it just freezes. I made sure that I changed the hard drive mode from enhanced to compatible as well but that didn't seem to make a different.

I tried an unmodified WinXP disc as well to see if I could at least get past that point but it stopped in the same place.

Can anyone offer any suggestions please? Thank you very much for your time.

Ens

2. qhn

qhn Notebook User

Reputations:
    It might have a conflict with a larger drive. Try 1st partition the hard disk then try the slip-streamed installation disk again.

cheers ...

3. Ensaine

Ensaine Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for your reply and other who took a look at this thread.

I was able to figure it out by trial and error really. I had everything correct that I could find via the web research so I just started trying other things. Ended up being an obscure setting in the BIOS which was not mentioned anywhere. Only BIOS setting that I had any reference to was to make sure to set it from Enhanced (SATA) to Compatible (IDE emulation I guess) which I had done already.

4. DetlevCM

DetlevCM Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You could slipstream your sata drivers into the installation or supply them via a floppy disc... then SATA will work under XP too...

5. Ensaine

Ensaine Newbie

Reputations:
    I had actually done that already. It was freezing for a different reason. A setting in the BIOS on the G51VX. It was the one that had to do with Legacy USB Support being disabled.

I enabled it to try it and it immediately got through the hang up the next time I tried it. After that, everything was a breeze.

6. $immond$

$immond$ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  7. Amnesiac

Amnesiac 404

Reputations:
    I think he already did that.

8. Ensaine

Ensaine Newbie

Reputations:
    Fair question for sure and I have been asked that several times.

I have an easy response as well. The sheer amount of space that Win7 takes up is anywhere from 4-8 times (maybe more) the amount that XP takes up. 95% of the features Win7 offers (whether new or improved) I can already do with just a few 3rd party super small apps. I just can't justify the space for it.

I don't have a huge HDD in my system so space is already an issue at times. Granted, its cheaper now than it was 3 years ago, but I just don't have it in my budget.

Also, the bootup times between the two OS's, for me anyway, XP just wins out still. Same thing with Shutdown.

I am fairly familiar with XP's services and I know which ones I can disable to improve my performance where I can. WinXP loading bar thing goes by 3 times and I am at my desktop 2 seconds later. That's not long at all.

Overall, there is nothing that I personally do or use that Win7 can do for me that I am not already satisfied with in XP. Until a developer checks off a box that says "No XP install" for a game that I wanna play later down the road, I will keep XP. Once that happens and it's a game I want to enjoy, I'll take the plunge. No need to until then. Also, tons of tweaks and even more info will have been released so research will be even easier.

9. DetlevCM

DetlevCM Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Ehm... there is a lot more going on "under the bonnet" in Win7...
    Even Vista is better than XP.

And apparently for gaming Win7 get's better results.

Fast startup isn't everything - and in Win7 you don't need to disable any services.

Small HDD? What do you call small? If you have 160GB+ you can sacrifice a few GB for the OS.

10. Apollo13

Apollo13 100% 16:10 Screens

Reputations:
    You ought to post what that obscure BIOS setting is so that the next person who comes along with the same problem can find this thread on Google and benefit from your experience. NBR threads have been known to show up first on Google for certain queries, so it's certainly plausible that even someone who's never been to NBR before will find this thread if they have the same problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.