Trouble Overclocking 980m

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by kissof_Death, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Try witcher 3.

2. kissof_Death

kissof_Death Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Will a heavily modded skyrim do? Also will the prema bios let me set a custom fan curve because the stock one sucks?

Vasudev likes this.
  3. Vasudev

Reputations:
    I don't think you can change fan curve, but the boost clocks are stable and don't throttle.

kissof_Death likes this.
  4. kissof_Death

Reputations:
    I think at one point precision x let me set one but not anymore

5. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Older versions will work. Update to newer versions and newer kernel builds of w10 will force users to update to MSI AB.

6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Laptop fans are not controlled by the GPU itself. They are controlled by the EC and the vBIOS has no code relating to fans as you would find on a desktop GPU. The way you change fans curves on laptops is by changing the values in the EC. The OEM Nazis are very overprotective, to the point of being totally silly, of their proprietary EC filth, so finding any information on editing the EC is as rare as unicorns and leprechauns. Seems they love to play god more than having satisfied customers with machines that function correctly.

Vasudev, kissof_Death and bennyg like this.
  7. kissof_Death

Reputations:
    You work with prema right? Could you tell me how to get bios mod? I looked at his websites but they don't tell you where to get it.

8. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Ask @j95 and @Prema when their site goes live

9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    If your machine was not purchased from a @Prema partner, the only way you can secure it is on an exception basis directly from Prema. His firmware mods are no longer available to the general public. That may change in the future after current models become obsolete and he can figure out the best way to keep dishonest people from stealing and claiming his work as their own.

He has many irons in the fire right now trying to keep up with firmware mods for so many models, so your best bet is to wait until the public site is active again, then reach out to him about it. You can only imagine the volume of messages and emails he gets from people begging for firmware mods. Totally understandable that this would happen considering how bad stock firmware sucks, but trying to keep up with and respond to all of those requests would be a full time job in and of itself, with no time available to work on anything else.
    @j95 and I will both have featured content on the new and improved @Prema web site.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    kissof_Death, Vasudev and Prema like this.
  10. Vasudev

Reputations:
    A screenshot is needed w/o the address bar. I want to see the revamped site of @Prema for OC'ers enthusiasts and students.

Mr. Fox likes this.