Triton 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by Terreos, Jan 7, 2019.

1. piteris2

piteris2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have done some basic undervolting and it did help to eliminate some power limit throttling, but I think the power limit throttling is pretty normal and to be expected given the form factor and specs of the laptop.

I haven’t tested the 180W power supply but so far it seems to be working fine and the performance is great. I find that the auto fans aren’t very powerful so I manually set them to max and it works much better.

IKAS V likes this.
  2. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Are the Max fans overly loud? Can’t wear headphones.
    I need to be on alert when on my laptop for home and at work and hate excessively loud fans.

3. piteris2

piteris2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    They’re loud but not as loud as fans in other gaming laptops I’ve used.

4. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    Saw someone with the 2080 Max-Q SKU claim they had an option to able enable hybrid graphics mode (MSHybrid") in the BIOS.

Can one of you good people confirm that it's there, and if it actually will enable Optimus for you?

IKAS V likes this.
  5. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    MSHybrid mode is there but haven’t tried it yet.
    Just got my Predator 500 from MicroCenter after they had $300 off the RTX 2080MQ model,they also have the RTX 2060 model for $100 discount.
    Sorry for the crappy picture but only had my iPad around .:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  6. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Got the 2060 version today with the 1TB of SSD space. It surprised me, the temps with a good undervolt are decent (between 78c and 85c depending on the cores and games but this is the range I am in after hours of gaming). I use the max overclock mode for the GPU and the plus side is that the fancurve is a bit more aggressive as well so the temps are actually lower than standard mode. No clue how to permanently enable it though, after each reboot I have to re-enable it).

The build quality is decent it seems but not a tank like my AW15R3 which actually died yesterday thanks to a short after replacing the webcam -___-.

piteris2 and hmscott like this.
  7. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yup, temps are great with undervolting , I’m also pleasantly surprised how quiet this laptop is when gaming even with the RTX 2080MQ. I have yet to play anything too demanding but with the games I did try CPU temps never cracked 80c and GPU temps temps were in the low 60’s.
    I also use a laptop cooler like I do for every laptop and struggle to hear the laptop fans over the cooler fans.
    I went to Microcenter like I usually do a couple times a year having gift cards to spend never thought I’d walk out of there with a Triton but with $300 off I said I’ll give it a shot and return it if I didn’t like it , so far it looks like I’m keeping it.

piteris2 and hmscott like this.
  8. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Just curious, I left my adapter in the laptop after turning it off, but removed the plug from the wall socket. When I turned the laptop on this morning the battery was at 76%. Does the PSU drain the battery if it is not plugged into a wallsocket?

Never had htis with my Alienwares.

edit: might be on eof the periphals i left in, didnt this laptop support some form of charging when off?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  9. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I believe it does but not sure what sure what plug does that.

rinneh likes this.
  10. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I think its the left one. Has some sort of battery icon next to it.

The only thing that worries me with this laptop is the longevity of the hinges.