Triton 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by Terreos, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes the battery is a nice improvement. That was one of the weakest points on the last one. I still have not found anything on the keyboard. But I think they did go with a normal keyboard and not the fake mechanical one.

2. RMXO

RMXO Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Great find indeed, it looks like Acer has made the choice for me.Taking it apart isn't so bad as the MSI GS6x was but I prefer easy access to my changeable parts. Now I must ask myself if I value G-Sync / removing mobo to change parts over no G-Sync but changing parts will be easy plus its 17".

undervolter0x0309 likes this.
  3. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    For me gsync is almost a requirement. High fps helps make it less necessary. But only slightly. It's funny I was so ready to get the Triton 500. . .but the more I learned about it the less I was impressed. I've already decided I'm going with a Desktop Replacement this time around. Easy access to upgrades and performance is the name of the game for me.

4. RMXO

RMXO Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah, I was set on the Triton 500 as well but now i prefer the upcoming MSI GS75 over it. Extremely disappointing but glad I found about this now compared to learning it once you have one.

5. Arondel

Arondel Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, that's a shame, really. I think MSI got the message about the GS 65 and did the GS 75 right, apparently.

And while we're at it, if someone could provide some explanation/context about the gesture at 3:05 it would be appreciated

6. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Totally agree.
    I'm planning on replacing my desktop so I'm currently planning on doing so with the Alienware 51m. Should have plenty of punch and it's easy to open up. If I'm lucky I'll be able to upgrade to the 3000 series gpu's. Though I'm not holding my breath.
    If it doesn't work out then I'll consider the zephyrus gx701.

Did they flip the motherboard on the GS75? I just assumed it was the same as the GS65.

7. RMXO

RMXO Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    AW 51m very nice, let us know how you like if you end up with one, I doubt you can go up to the 3k series but at least you can upgrade until then.

Yes, they flipped it back to the way it always has been before copying the GS6x series for the past 2 revisions.

8. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well I have one preordered so I'll definitely be giving my impressions on it once it arrives. I'm getting mine directly from dell so I'll be able to give an honest opinion on how it runs out of the box. Hopefully dell is finally using some decent thermal paste. And I'm not holding my breath on a 3000 series upgrade. That would be too practical and consumer friendly.o_O

Well that's great to hear. I'll have to keep that on my short list if my Area 51m doesn't pan out. My local bestbuy normally has msi laptops. So I might be able to look at one in person.

9. rickybambi

rickybambi Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The AW 51M looks pretty awesome.

I've been hoping that one day desktop replacement laptops will have easily replaceable screens in addition to all the internal components. CES 2020 perhaps...

I'm thinking functionality wise something like a Surface Book where say your playing an esport game you have the 1080 144hz screen connected and later when your playing something with pretty visuals, swapping it out in about 10 seconds to a 4K panel.

10. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Very disappointing!
    I rarely do upgrades (might occasionally add more storage if there’s room or a empty spot)but I like to repaste the CPU and GPU if needed but if I have to take the whole laptop apart to do so I might look at something else.
    I could probably do it but I dont fell like I should have to do so much work for a simple procedure.
    Unless they have well configured laptops at a reasonable price that run cool and don’t throttle out of the box I’m not sure about this laptop anymore.

Arondel and Terreos like this.