Triton 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by Terreos, Jan 7, 2019.

1. spybyscript

spybyscript Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Haha, I'm not sure how great hwinfo is at testing the GPU power! Because, running TimeSpy, it appears my max is 104W. It seems that the Nvidia and/or 3DMark updates over time has "lowered" my score since I used to get about 8400 in the summer.

hwinfo.JPG

2. yeray

yeray Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Looks like after all the GS66 is going to offer a MUX. Probably reserved for the upper tier models like Acer and Asus.

It looks very very nice, while I think the Triton 500 is a better package than the MSI GS65 now with the GS66 MSI has again the upper hand. It will be interesting to see how Acer responds.

Motherboard is not flipped and that cooling solution looks nice.

EDIT : From the comments, no G-SYNC, no mini Display Port... mmm... a bit disappointing then. Probably I'd still favor the Triton 500 only downside is the flipped M/B.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  3. seamon

seamon Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'll take a second USB 3.2 with DP over mini DP any day. I hope the second USB C ports supports DP over type C

4. mediadoctor

mediadoctor Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can anyone please share the dumped by gpu-z vbios of RTX 2080 max-q?

5. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    https://gofile.io/?c=1ZcQN6

Just fair warning I really believe the latest BIOS for the Triton 500 likely contains the 'fix' to disable Undervolting on the Triton 500 in reponse to the Intel security vulnerability. I really recommend you do not upgrade to it unless you want to lose the ability to undervolt your 8750H or 9750H.

On the plus side I did figure out a way to roll back to an older BIOS quite easily, however I have not tested this after updating to the latest BIOS version. I don't dare flash that crap as I'm almost certain it will break undervolting.

6. mediadoctor

mediadoctor Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks!
    This is vBios 80 Watt from Triton 500 with i7-7850h.

Can anyone please share the dumped by gpu-z vbios of RTX 2080 max-q from new Triton 500 with i7-9750 ?

7. yeray

yeray Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm sorry but at the end returned the Triton 500 on the last day of the return window. The BBleed, rattling GPU fans,coil whine during 3D apps and Predator Sense LCD overdrive bug were too much to swallow for 2000 EUR.

I think I´ll give a try to the GS66.

Acer has just announced the new Triton 500 with Intel 10th Gen, 300Hz panels and NVIDIA Super graphics cards. The keyboard is now RGB per key and the cooling system has been improved.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1569...ates-10th-gen-intel-core-and-nvidia-rtx-super

Today Acer is refreshing the lineup with even more performance with the latest CPUs from Intel, and GPUs up to the NVIDIA RTX 2080 Super Max-Q. But Acer has also added a few new features as well, including an optional 300 Hz IPS display, up from 144 Hz last year, and Wi-Fi 6 thanks to the Killer AX1650i. And as a bonus, the new model offers a per-key RGB backlit keyboard, stepping up from the zoned keyboard backlighting last year.

Acer has tweaked the cooling with their Vortex Flow design, offering three fans, 4th generation AeroBlade 3D fans with serrated edges, and five heat pipes.
    Overall, Acer says they are getting 33% better thermal performance than the 2019 model.

The updated Triton 500 will be available in May starting at $2199.99 USD.

8. seamon

seamon Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Why the heck are these companies not going AMD for high end?? Intel high end processors are objectively bad. I hope AMD releases a laptop with 2080 super + R9 4900HS/H

9. sms.moosavi

sms.moosavi Newbie

Reputations:
    Is there a way to monitor my NVIDIA GPU power consumption? HWMonitor and HWiNFO don't show anything.
    I suspect the GPU power limit has been decreased since NVIDIA driver v442.19 and it's not fixed yet. I'm consistently getting lower clocks (and slightly lower temps) and almost 10 percent worse frame-rates in every game compared to v441.87. Even in RDR2 despite the game asking for a driver update and warning me that 441.87 is not supported.
    Anyone have similar experience?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  10. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    Because it's financially suicide. And it would be a STUPID move. AMD doesn't make the call it's the companies making the laptops that make the call. Intel has money. Companies want to make money. Intel pays more than AMD. Simple. AMD only just now and I mean literally now just made a good mobile CPU. So is Acer took the risk of making a laptop with a 2080 and 4900HS and it doesn't sell well, then they're in the red. And it's not a simple as putting an AMD CPU where an Intel CPU was. A WHOLE NEW BOARD would need to be made. That isn't free or cheap.

Don't expect high end AMD laptops until 2021. Because no manufacture is going to take that risk for a few thousand enthusiasts. AMD has to prove they can keep up and stay competitive. Once that happens we will finally see them on the high end.

Mr. Fox likes this.