Triton 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by Terreos, Jan 7, 2019.

1. spybyscript

spybyscript Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    There's a good youtube video on how to tweak PredatorSense, both the overclock values as well as the undervolt values here:

My machine apparently has a great CPU for undervolting; I can run at -180mV reliably, but I can't increase the overclock values very much at all for the GPU, especially memory. My machine does run a lot quieter than it originally did playing games and I hover around 8200 on 3DMark's Timespy, which seems pretty good for the Triton 500 with the I7 8750.

2. Krandor311

Krandor311 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yeah I came to this same conclusion awhile ago and seems like others have as well.

I never use the laptop in Optimus mode so I completely removed all traces of the Intel gpu drivers and disabled it via Device Manager, and haven't seen the issue pop up since (going on maybe 2-3 months now)

On the official Predator forums I've seen it suggested it may be specifically linked the auto installed drivers from Windows Update, if you get the most up to date ones straight from Intel it likely wouldn't be a problem. But since I never use Optimus mode on it i haven't been inclined to find out.

3. Specv89

Specv89 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone on here been successful unlocking their bios?

4. seamon

seamon Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am exclusively using the laptop in dGPU mode. I mean I bought this thing for its performance not battery life(though I'll admit it was a deciding factor in going with this particular model). I may conduct some more tests in the future or ditch Acer for MSI next gen.

5. seamon

seamon Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So I'm kind of like an upgrade junkie. I upgraded the TIM to Kryonaut, upgraded SSDs to 2TB 970 EVO and 2 TB 860 EVO, added a heatsink to the pch, added 32GB RAM, got Intel AX200, got a high res USB DAC and got 2x15.6" 1080p IPS displays for auxiliary displays. Anything else to upgrade? Is there a way to upgrade the speakers? Also anything else to upgrade?

6. ColinMacLaren

ColinMacLaren Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I just ordered a Triton 500 with RTX 2080 and 512GB SSD.

I am going to replace the SSD. How hard is it to pull it apart? Are there any warranty stickers that will be damaged? Is a repaste with Liquid metal worth the risk?

What are your eperiences with the 90W-Vbios?

- Is it still fine with the 180W PSU?
    - What are the Timespy scores between 80W VBIOS + Overclock and 90W Vbios + Overclock?

7. Redbeard

Redbeard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Here is a teardown video:

It is not terrible, but will take some time.

8. Redbeard

Reputations:
  9. Redbeard

Reputations:
    I actually sent it off to Acer recertified support. They have had it since 11/25. If I get is back I will try that.

10. ColinMacLaren

ColinMacLaren Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Looks fair enough. Thank you. I have a 1TB Crucial P1 at hand and just ordered another, so I can use them in a Raid0. Should be sufficient for a gaming machine despite QLC.

https://www.realhardwarereviews.com/crucial-p1-raid-review/11/