Triton 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by Terreos, Jan 7, 2019.

1. vorob

vorob Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sorry, it's my fault. I disabled all energy-saving stuff here: http://www.pichost.org/images/2019/07/31/Optimus3.png
    They were useless on my older laptops, so I carried on here. Now i've enabled all back and I'm getting +4 hours...

Okay, next issue. I can't install iGpu driver from intell, it tells me that i've got incompatible hardware but i'm sure im getting proper one. What's the issue?

2. MSGaldenzi

MSGaldenzi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just an update here. Acer wants me to pay for the return shipping to them so they can fix it. Anyone know if I can complain and get them to cover the shipping back to them? I got the laptop on the 15th. At this point, I may just send it back to Amazon and say forget it...

3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    If you are nice, ask politely for a pre-paid return box, and tell them you don't have the budget to afford sending it back - please cover the cost for this warranty repair.

That's worked many times, so it's worth a try.

Also, if you get rejected the first time you ask, try calling back at a different time of day - or on the weekend to try again. Ask for a manager and if you don't get someone different ask them again.

If that doesn't work and you send it ground Fedex / UPS / USPS - just know that the industry standard is to return it to you using the same method and speed. If you pick the cheapest slowest method, so will they.

Also, don't forget to pay to have it insured to the retail value of the laptop - because that's what you would need to replace it should it go missing.

Returing it to Amazon for a full refund, and then try again at from another Amazon vendor might be a better alternative - at least it should be quicker than waiting for the full RMA cycle.

Terreos likes this.
  4. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Yes, they can offer a prepaid return label (through Fedex Ground) but it is in their terms that they only pay for return shipping. I was able to get one for my Helios 500 repair I sent last week, but it took a couple of calls before I was offered one. I was actually originally trying to get an onsite warranty but it turned out Acer only offers it if you live within 50 miles of the Temple, TX repair center.

The quoted repair time is 7-10 business days but looking at reviews it can sometimes take longer.

4W4K3 likes this.
  5. willyg1971

willyg1971 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    There is a new bios out for the triton 500 (Version 1.08). Im not sure what it does yet. There is also a new version of predator sense too. Im hoping both the updates sort the black screen issues

hmscott likes this.
  6. vorob

vorob Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Using Triton 500 for two weeks now. Didn't face and issues so far, really happy with this machine! Now I can carry my whole gaming world with me :) Previously I had Predator 15 and it was a real challenge, 5kg over 2,3 here.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    IKAS V and hmscott like this.
  7. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It’s a great laptop, I got the 2080MQ version and it been running flawlessly for the past 6+ months.

hmscott likes this.
  8. nxh

nxh Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My cpu idles at 48c with only nothing else running except the predator monitoring program however soon after a few mins of use the fans come on.

What's idle temps are folks getting here with their Triton 500?

Also I noticed my Triton randomly turns on turbo mode automatically without me pressing the turbo button. This happens 3 to 5 times this past week.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2019
  9. vorob

vorob Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Turbo may be used for cooling cleaning. It lasts for few seconds and then automatically turn off? Anyway that doesn’t work, compressed air will clean way better.

Also with dgpu it always will be hotter, but in Optimus it rarely turns on coolers.

10. vorob

vorob Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Reference just for myself,
    Acer Triton 500 (i7 8750H / RTX 2080 MAX-Q) 3DMark Time Spy Stock - 7 500

Overclocked (+150 on Core and Memory) - 7 900