Triton 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by Terreos, Jan 7, 2019.

1. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Thanks for your insights. Had a 3 day business trip and it held out well. Gonna keep it I think as my primary driver for the time being.

I like the looks of the blade but I have to import it and I dont want to deal with potential issues in that case. Also it is more expensive.

The Triton does perform very well under heavy load and my temps stay nicely under 90c with okay fan noise.

2. JuZNyC

JuZNyC Newbie

Reputations:
    Some people have said the stock180w power supply doesn't supply enough to power it while under high load, was wondering if the 230w one from the triton 700 be compatible with the 500?

3. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Just curious, I actually exchanged my first Triton 500 for it, but both had it, is the right side hinge cover sticking out slightly? It was the same on both units that I had.

[​IMG]

4. Krandor311

Krandor311 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Mine does drain ever so slightly *if* I have a laptop cooler running under it (thus giving the system more thermal overhead). Otherwise the system generally sits right at the edge of what the 180w power supply can provide. I've curbed the drain a bit in this situation by putting a more aggressive undervolt on the CPU, but the problem persists.

While I don't own a Triton 700, I compared pictures and it doesn't look like the plugs would be compatible. I've contacted Acer about it (after seeing similar situations around the web of people getting bigger PSUs supplied for this same issue, tho none specifically with Acer) and they elevated me to the next level of support, but I've unfortunately been playing phone tag with the rep all week.

5. willyg1971

willyg1971 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ive just run a light benchmark on the gpu and it seems the Rtx 2080 Max Q in the Acer Triton 500 does go up to 90w when boosting. i have also applied a 150mhz overclock on the gpu and 500mhz on the memory and it seems to run ok. if I increase to 200mhz it freezes. Interestingly i am unable to unlock the voltage control. Has anyone succeeded in doing this as i believe with a little more voltage it could be overclocked higher still.

boost is showing over 1700mhz

Im contemplating applying the 90w bios to see what effect it has on the wattage overall. Will it increase the wattage to over 100 on boost.

Attached Files:

hmscott likes this.
  6. willyg1971

Reputations:
    This is my bios compared to the Msi. As you can see the are some difference including texture fill rate and bandwidth. Can anyone tell me if the 90w bios is compatible as from what I can see I would say not.

Attached Files:

7. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The 180W power brick might limit a 90w BIOS and power throttle.

8. willyg1971

Reputations:
    That may be the case but it it may also draw down on the battery charge rather than throttle. I’ve already seen loss of battery charge when overclocking for long periods. Not massive amounts but still there.

I might reach out to svet to see if he can compare both bios

9. piteris2

piteris2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    By the way, does anyone know exactly what the Turbo button does? I thought it only puts the fans to max and overclocks the GPU...
    Does it do anything else by any chance?

10. Brightwood

Brightwood Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm sure - fans only, any overclocking, but temperatures are less with turbo on. I as gaming NFS, Starcraft, Witcher, GTA on very max without using turbo and everything was OK

piteris2 likes this.