Triple Screen Laptop MKII - Electric Boogaloo! (Ongoing)

Discussion in 'Notebook Cosmetic Modifications and Custom Builds' started by TheUberMedic, Jan 18, 2021.

  1. TheUberMedic

    TheUberMedic Notebook Evangelist

    Reputations:
    44
    Messages:
    374
    Likes Received:
    141
    Trophy Points:
    56
    In May 2020, I finished the MKI version of this project which can be found here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/diy-project-valerie-triple-screen-laptop-complete.831841/
    It was pretty jank, with a lot of half measures to keep it together. Now, I have upgraded the size of my 3D printer, gotten more tools and refined my 3D modelling skills (ehhhh... maybe not? xD) so time for an upgrade!

    New tools! - 400x400x500mm 3D printer (Ender 3 Extended), Digital Vernier Calipers (more accurate measurements), soldering iron + threaded inserts (no more using bolts, integrate threated ends to the design itself)

    The plan here is to reuse the parts from the MKI but with a new casing design so that it's easier to use and less janky. The bigger printer means I can now print what normally was 4 different parts + something to hold it together can now be done as one. The biggest issue when using the MKI was attaching it to my laptop. I had to use velcro on both the back of the device and my laptop which meant I had permanent velcro on my laptop even when not in use. Suffice to say, it looked a little weird. This time, I've got 2 new ideas for mounting it. But that comes later.

    First plan of action: design! The biggest redesign is no longer having a mainboard to attach the circuitry to and to attach to my laptop, instead having the circuitry with the screen itself.While this would make each screen individually thicker and heavier, I'm hoping the overal thing will be lighter and thinner. This also means I can put each screen's OSD controls on the front of the screen instead of the back of the laptop.
    [​IMG]
    Overall, everything is going to be about 1mm thicker to improve the strength of everything. I've relocated and added in the holes for the threaded inserts. The thicker bases are mainly for the inserts since they need 4mm at least to be inserted so this being a THICC boi can't be avoided. The circuit case at the bottom is not attached here so it's two pieces to print. The OSD controller is also shown as a dummy for where its general location will be. I'll do the weight saving part afterwards.

    I've already ran some prototypes for the circuit casing and gotten the size about right. I put it in the old casing to show how much space I'm saving.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Next step is prototyping the actual screen case to make sure the holes for the cables and such will fit fine. I'm making the prototypes out of PLA but the final prints will be out of PETG.
     
    triturbo, ole!!!, Starlight5 and 3 others like this.
  2. Reciever

    Reciever D! For Dragon!

    Reputations:
    1,355
    Messages:
    5,134
    Likes Received:
    3,684
    Trophy Points:
    431
    subbed!
     
  3. TheUberMedic

    TheUberMedic Notebook Evangelist

    Reputations:
    44
    Messages:
    374
    Likes Received:
    141
    Trophy Points:
    56
    Current progress report!
    A prototype for the bottom part of the casing was done and tested. I've updated the 3D model to reflect the new additions. I've also added in a basic bezel for the bottom and changed the position of the OSD from planning on being on the bezel to now the bottom of the casing. Next printing prototype will be to see if I can print the top bezel already attached to the main casing using supports or if I'll need to print them separately and use my soldering iron to fuse them together (plz no)
    [​IMG]
    Here's a cross section view of the latest model. I'm still debating on whether I should attach the circuit to the main casing, then the box or attach it to the box and then to the main casing. Decisions, decisions...

    Also the prototype I printed out is now renamed to the "Improvized BONK stick"
    [​IMG]

    Since I want to print the main parts in PETG, I'm also going to be upgrading my hotend to a V6 clone so that I can print it both faster and safer. I had to crank up the temp on the default hotend with the larger nozzle or the filament would come out mostly solid. Any higher and I'd end up wrecking the tube inside it and apparently that can release noxious gases when it gets too hot.
     
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
Loading...

Share This Page