1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Tried your 1520's headphone jack?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by EnderSaves, Jul 13, 2007.

?

Does your 1520's headphone jack transmit hard drive/internal laptop distortion/feedback?

1. Yes

244 vote(s)
    73.5%
  2. No

88 vote(s)
    26.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elscorcho

elscorcho Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    this is an issue that has plagued motherboards for years - i remember this type of electrical noise on my old computers dating back to my first 733 celery system. sure, you can use software to mask the problem, but it'll never truly be 'fixed' since at heart it seems to be an engineering issue with the boards (be it flaky capacitors or a fundamental design flaw).

judging from various boards, this seems to be a somewhat widespread problem with notebooks using Intel's chipset. that this was a pervasive issue even before Santa Rosa's release spells how little effort there is to resolve this issue.

2. satdog

satdog Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    In that case prepare to return. If those options are greyed out, then there is no use. Also, keep in mind that they will just agree to send u a replacement which will have the same problem. Just return it if it bothers you and go for another company.:)

3. Walter_S

Walter_S Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Has anybody heard this problem on the Vostro 1500?

4. davron

davron Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I don't think so, since there's no topic called "Tried your Vostro 1500's headphone jack?" - I'm assuming

5. coperi

coperi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a Vostro 1500 I have the same problem

6. davron

Reputations:
    Oops............ Let's all return our laptops - and dell's gonna learn a good lesson.

:) I don't see any other option

7. satdog

satdog Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    ooops didn't notice that there was already thread going on about the noise. sorry. I thought my settings would help u guys, but i seems like some of the important options are greyed out in new rmclock verson for 1520owners. oh well. You guys shouldn't put up with this , please return if u have a problem so that they will learn.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=143015

8. HI DesertNM

HI DesertNM Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What? Who makes rmclock? Dell? Looks like Dell does not want people messing with rmclock. Probably since it increases the core temp?

9. farelli09

farelli09 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    this guy sums it up nicely.

10. clester

clester Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    spoke to escalations today. they said the noise has no fix, and the graphics card is as advertised (it's not). no other offer but to return the laptop for a refund, which could take up to 3 weeks to refund my money from when they recieve it.

needless to say this will be my last dealings with dell. I shall also be sending a strongly worded e-mail to comeone high up to complain.

very very disappointed here.

I just don't see why i should have to wait for my money for 3 weeks when they sent a defective product.

11. davron

Reputations:
    Any laptop has "+s" and "-s", pros and cons. I prefer to have this noise as a "con". Because if I get something else - It might be worse - nothing is perfect (unfortunately) :)

PS: But I still hate Dell customer Service. HP's customer service was so good, the lady actually spoke good English and I got my money back in about 7-10 days (canceled 1 order recently)

12. ojchillinndc

ojchillinndc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    IMO, they're all bad. I read in some forums that Dell is worst then HP and others it's the other way around. IME, HP is worst then Dell. The HP folks were mean and nasty and very unhelpful and this was with more then one phone call.

I would recommend Dell to friends with a cautionary tone. With HP, I would tell them not to waste their money.

On the sound issue. If a flood of 1520s came back requesting a refund, you better bet Dell would find a way to fix the problem. They don't won't Wall Street catching wind of this. One customer here and one there, Dell will be like, "Whatever". Thousand customers here and a thousand there, Dell will be like "We need to fix this day-umm thing!!!!"

13. Duke2007

Duke2007 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    SO START RETURNING!!! I need my laptop soon and i really want a 1520...minus the annoying noise issue.

14. Britackle

Britackle Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey everyone, had a chat with a dell rep online tonight about this problem (as well as the grainy screen) but he had me change the power management scheme to high performance from the dell recommended. This seemed to eliminate almost all of the noise, just some low level static is left but it is now comparable to my previous laptop.

Now as long as this works I am happy with this fix, but are there any downsides to this setting (other than i am assuming worse battery life) like increased heat or something? Just want to make sure its not trading one problem for another.

Thanks!

15. Duke2007

Duke2007 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    you sure about that? i remember i tried that too...it sort of helped but still nowhere near where it should be to begin with...

16. phios

phios Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So, let me get this straight... Setting the performance to high will eliminate the noise? At the cost of how much battery life? I'm guessing that the sound is tied to the CPU fan. It might have some resonating frequency that creates static on the line out jack. I wonder if wrapping your earbud wire in tin foil (and then grounding that tin foil) would affect the noise level. If so, then the laptop isn't properly shielded. Another thing someone could do is bust open the bare wire on their headphone, connect the return line to ground, then see if the system makes noise still... I'm sure there are some intrepid techies out there willing to experiment.

17. davron

Reputations:
    Well... What I do is USE SPEAKERS.

18. Stella

Stella Notebook Deity NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Using laptop speakers is all well and good when people around you don't mind listening to your music too. What about on an airplane?

19. ojchillinndc

ojchillinndc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

I don't think that will work 'cause early in this post people were saying that this problem occurs with multiple brands of headphones. And it didn't matter of the quality or price. It also happened on some high quality head phones.

The point about the NB not being properly shielded or grounded is a good one though. Which could indicate that Dell has a problem on the assembly line or the design of the NB is bad.

But Dell will not move on this problem until they see a sea of 1520s hitting their doorstep. Flood of 1520 = More Market Share loss

20. Ash_P

Ash_P Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    bump
    this is a bad problem

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.