1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Tried your 1520's headphone jack?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by EnderSaves, Jul 13, 2007.

?

Does your 1520's headphone jack transmit hard drive/internal laptop distortion/feedback?

1. Yes

244 vote(s)
    73.5%
  2. No

88 vote(s)
    26.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stella

Stella Notebook Deity NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I assure you, we are not. My headphone jack sounds like someone is sending a message via morse code, with loads of static laid on top.

2. Badboi

Badboi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    try using headphones with a gold plated connector!

3. clester

clester Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    quite true stella. I get better sound from my wife's inspiron 6000 with it's crappy ac97 audio. the "HD" on the 1520 is completely ruined by the faulty hardware on the 1520. Very Disappointing. Don't want to have ro replace the lpatop, but i may be forced to if they can't fix it. Add it to the slower than advertised graphics card..

4. Stella

Stella Notebook Deity NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I already have a set of earbuds and a gaming headset that I really like--I just can't justify buying *additional* hardware to make up for faulty hardware. I'm hoping the problem will be fixed quickly in successive generations for the people that stick with Dell--it seems like just some extra shielding might resolve it.

5. clester

Reputations:
    I can assure you badboi, that will make NO difference at all. all gold plating does is reduce oxidation on the jack itself. it won't fix a badly manufactured laptop motherboard.

Oh and btw, i just looked.. ALL of my headphones have gold plated connectors. they all have the noise. it just gets quieter when the headphones impedance goes up. The worst for noise has the highest sensitivity, and the lowest impedance.

6. davron

davron Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The included dell headphones are gold plated. They make the noise worse than my mp3 players' silver plated headphones.

7. limagicman

limagicman Newbie

Reputations:
    My situation is a little different. This system is in replacement of my two faulty E1505's that i received. I basically said that i wanted this card, and keep escalating me until i found someone who would give it to me. They called me back like half an hour later and gave me a dispatch number.

8. Badboi

Badboi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    well then i guess that was the fix for my d820.

9. ColdSoul

ColdSoul Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You can fix the issue if you turn on the option "run hlt command when OS is idle" in RMClock.

[​IMG]

10. clester

Reputations:
    While that works during the time that RMclock is running, the fact remains there is a problem. It still whines during boot up and shutdown, when Rmclock is not running.

That to me indicates a problem, and should be fixed by the manufacturer/ retailer, rather than a fudged fix by the end user.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.