1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Tried your 1520's headphone jack?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by EnderSaves, Jul 13, 2007.

?

Does your 1520's headphone jack transmit hard drive/internal laptop distortion/feedback?

1. Yes

244 vote(s)
    73.5%
  2. No

88 vote(s)
    26.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bmnotpls

bmnotpls Notebook Deity

If I have the in-home warranty, will they come to my house and replace the motherboard?

2. ojchillinndc

ojchillinndc Notebook Evangelist

Yes they will. But I would stand over those techs and watch them closely. And make sure they ground themselves. You also want them to do an ops check before they go.

Remember, Dell hired them 'cause they were the cheapest the bidder.

3. davron

davron Notebook Evangelist

True that.

4. Duke2007

Duke2007 Notebook Deity

lol dell better fix the problem please.

5. coperi

coperi Notebook Enthusiast

Yes, they will change the mother board for me they gave me a number for DHL to come and pick my computer and send it back this is not good for I wonder how long is going to take for me to get my computer back?

6. davron

Maaan... I don't wanna send it back :(

7. HI DesertNM

HI DesertNM Notebook Deity

People who have received replacement systems say the headphone jack issue is still there. At this point it sounds like Dell has no fix. But you can bet they know about it. I doubt they will ever admit to it because of the legal issues. This reminds me of the old creative Zen micro mp3 players that used to have head phone jacks that would lose soder connections giving you only one channel or nothing. It was pretty common and widescale but creative never admitted there was a issue. Many people were burned with that crap player. In their recent players the headphone jack issues suddenly dissapeared.

I own a 1420 and the sound is fine. However, if I were looking at the 1520 I would probably not buy one. After viewing these threads I would have to assume the worst that the issue may never be fixed. It may take a another generation or a different MOBO design modification to rid the sound issue. Maybe dell can fix it with software.... or maybe not. Remember, you only have 21 days from ship date to send it back. Unless you are willing to use a creative express card sound option etc... you could be stuck with this issue for years after the 21 days are up.

If enough people send their 1520's back you can bet Dell will speed up a fix.. even if it means a major MOBO design to do it.

8. Duke2007

Duke2007 Notebook Deity

D- Deal with crap.

E- Expect delays.

L- Lose your time and money.

L- Lose all sanity.

9. Dragoneye1589

Dragoneye1589 Notebook Consultant

I'm having this problem too, I refuse to send my laptop back for a problem that won't be fixed with replacement. Has anybody tried to get Dell to give them a X-Fi expresscard sound card because of the problem?

HI_DesertNM: Funny you should mention the Zen Micro, I got one about 2 years ago when they were having the headphone jack problem, and it was the one worry that I had about buying one, I have never had a problem with it though, I still use it to this day.

10. mosquitogang201

mosquitogang201 Notebook Enthusiast

If this noise is caused by poor shielding of the notebook or particular components, shouldnt it be possible to fix it by strategically placing aluminum foil inside the notebook to shield it?

I had a similar problem a couple years ago in my dorm room where my speakers were picking up radio station 88.1 and would not stop, it was quite audible too. I wrapped the speaker wires in aluminum foil and the problem went away. Maybe someone could try wrapping their headphone wires with aluminum foil? If the noise is being picked up by the speaker wires this would likely fix it and show what the problem is. Its not sightly though I know.

I am planning to order a 1520 this weekend since itll be tax free so if mine turns out to have this problem I will do some experimentation.

11. crash

crash NBR Assassin Super Moderator

Good luck experimenting... in a month from now :(

12. southend517

southend517 Notebook Enthusiast

my vostro does the same I ran rmclock and put a check in hlt OS at idele box and that helped alot but the noise is still there.

13. theTORCH

theTORCH Notebook Evangelist

i'm experiencing no noise from my headphone jack. and even if i was, couldn't that problem be avoided by using a pair of bluetooth or USB headphones?

14. davron

Wait wait wait - 21 DAYS?? What if you have a 1-year warranty??

15. HI DesertNM

HI DesertNM Notebook Deity

Under warranty they can try to fix it. But their is no guarantee that will work. If you don't want to take the chance that Dell will not fix the problem properly, then you only have 21 days to return notebook. At this point I would try to get a free creative express card or tell them I will return it. Actually, I would not even buy it in the first place. This is the kind of issue these forums were made for. To avoid catastrophic issues that the consumer may be stuck with. This is a true deal breaker if I ever saw one. Just my 2cents.

16. davron

I guess I'll keep it. I believe they have to fix it or replace it - anything that's wrong - be it a mobo, soundcard or anything

because when my previous laptop's (inspiron 5150) sound stopped working properly - they replaced the whole mobo for free,

If they don't fix or replace it under warranty - I will sue them :)

PS: it's just not much of a problem for me now, i don't use headphones that much.

17. kmg9000

kmg9000 Newbie

Does anyone know how long it will take for them to fix it? I called them and they told me they would send a box in for them to fix it

18. davron

No one does. Not even Dell. It depends on how many laptops they receive back. But I would say not less than a week.

19. coperi

coperi Notebook Enthusiast

they told me 5-8 days to fix my computer.

20. SoupCanStevens

SoupCanStevens Newbie

to "fix" your computer. Let us know if they succeed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.