1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Tried your 1520's headphone jack?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by EnderSaves, Jul 13, 2007.

?

Does your 1520's headphone jack transmit hard drive/internal laptop distortion/feedback?

1. Yes

244 vote(s)
    73.5%
  2. No

88 vote(s)
    26.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adamkost

adamkost Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anyone know if using USB headphones solves the problem?

2. davron

davron Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well It's not a business laptop. But yes, it's bad - I'm not saying anything

I don't believe so - it's the same sound, which is produced by the sound card.

Also, Today I've noticed that the "Wifi catcher" really messes up the sound when you turn it on

3. ojchillinndc

ojchillinndc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Davron, that's not noise you hear. That's your 1520 saying, "Send me back, send me back."

4. phios

phios Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Actually, I've been reading the people who use USB headphones don't have any issues.

This again makes me think that it's not the sound card, but possible a bad ground. If anyone here has ever hooked up a cheap car stereo and heard horrendous engine noise through their speakers, that problem more often that not is cause by a poorly designed ground bus in the head unit itself.
    I'd say that it's a manufacturing issue that could quite possibly be solved eventually, once the motherboard maker (Not Dell) has time to revise/tweak their design.

5. bizekiel

bizekiel Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My USB headset (Logitech Premium USB Headset) has no sound problems on my 1520. It's only when it's through the headphone port.

6. ~}Zaif{~

~}Zaif{~ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That sound seems to be in sync with HD Light....But i get no problem on my bluetooth headset.

7. davron

Reputations:
    :) I want to send it back but this would be the third laptop to send back and I'm kind of tired - can't wait

but maybe I will, but a little later

8. coperi

coperi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I am on the chat with Dell Technical Support and she asked me 3 questions on the third question she asked me if my headphones were USB and I said no... She immediately told me there was no fix for the problem and they had to switch the mother board.
    So I am guessing they know about this because of people complaining.

9. stormchas4

stormchas4 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    so are you gonna get your motherboard replaced?

10. ojchillinndc

Reputations:
    I think by Dell going cheap and using only a 2 prong power adapter has caused this issue.

I've seen a lot of Dell NB both at home and work and this is the first time I heard about Dell using only a 2 prong power adapter for a NB.

I wonder if the noise level changes when you touch the NB while you're wearing headphones.

The reason why people don't hear it through Bluetooth or USB headphones is because they are not physically touching the NB.

The problem should be correct or the NB returned 'cause if it is a grounding issue and you hear noise cause something isn't grounded properly inside the NB. It will diminish the life of the NB 'cause the internal components will degrade much faster from the static electricity being caused within the NB. The problem may seem small but an improper grounded NB bring more headaches for you in the future. The noise problem is just the beginning.

11. ojchillinndc

Reputations:
    That could be the problem. Dell could've gotten a bad batch of MBs or their maker got a bad batch of components or used the wrong capacitor or something. They propably have 1520s with the new MB in them but don't have enough to go around for their new orders and customers demanding a new one. That's why there isn't a major recall going on for the bad NBs.

Dell won't fix the MB even if they know your 1520 is one of the ones with the bad MB in it. If you decide to deal with the noise, then that saves them money and one less MB to replace.

12. Scypher

Scypher Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So, does dell offer you the replace the notebook mmotherboard if you have this headphone jack problem ?

13. bmnotpls

bmnotpls Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What's the ratio of good MB's to bad MB's?

14. bmnotpls

bmnotpls Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    bump........

15. ojchillinndc

Reputations:
    Probably low right now. But Dell probably has the manufactor working overtime in anticipation of customers screaming and yelling. That screaming and yelling will only get worst when word gets out that the MB is the fix.

Dell wants the 1520s to be highly successful so they want to squash this sound issue as soon as possible. So their probably leaning pretty heavy on the manufacturer to get them some good MBs if that indeed is the fix.

16. bmnotpls

bmnotpls Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I ordered mine on 7/28. It's still in pre-production. You think mine will have the problem fixed?

17. ojchillinndc

Reputations:
    You would hope so since this problem has been going on for sometime now.

18. davron

Reputations:
    damn.................... i don't wanna return it.. but I think I will.

19. Scypher

Scypher Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I havent received an answer to my question. If you receive a laptop with this problem, is it possible to have your motherboard repaired ?

20. davron

Reputations:
    Well that's what you have warranty for

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.