TP Yoga 12, 14, or Yoga Pro 2 / 3?

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by MSMNick, Nov 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mfgillia

mfgillia Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Interesting. Sounds like you didn't clone the HDD to the SDD using Samsung's software and a usb to sata3 cable - is that right? Guessing that approach would have been a bit smoother keeping the recovery partition and allowing you to ditch the cache drive and software earlier than later.

2. MSMNick

MSMNick Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Didn't even know that was an option. The way I've always done it was make a recovery drive, take out the old drive, and use the recovery drive to reinstall. I suppose you just Download the samsung stuff and run it, didn't think of that. And I dont have a usb-sata cable, but close enough, I have USB 3.0 HD caddies. Probably would have worked.

It is finally all running now, and I'm going to remove express cache, put a hibernation partition on the M.2, and leave the rest for storage.

3. cognus

cognus Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    MYSTERY: does the Yoga 2 11 i3-4012Y model have a Fan or NOT??
    I have read "reputable" online sources that say both.... one says it has a fan and even measures the noise level, and another credits the glorious Fanless design

4. MSGaldenzi

MSGaldenzi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Pretty sure it does not have a fan. There is the yoga 11s that DID have a fan as well as an i5 and i3 both y series, but to the best of my knowledge the Yoga 2 11 did not have a fan in any configuration.

I just wanted to add 2c to this discussion and note that I just got another Thinkpad Yoga 14 and really forgot how great a machine this is. I had one when they were semi new and ended up selling it bc it was one of many and pretty much all my stuff is on CL (buying problem and I like new/different things). Either way, I missed having one and found a well priced one on Cowboom and decided to go for it. Let me point out that this computer was clearly a display model and has some odds and ends missing and its fair share of scuffs. For that I am actually kinda thankful, it lets me know how well built this computer is. I do wish this one had broadwell and the updated trackpad/pointing stick, but being more of a trackpad user anyway, its not a big deal. After owning every computer on the thread title (except the pro 3 which has core m and does not interest me for the price), I really think the TP14 is a winner. Great screen, build quality, keyboard, trackpad, yoga ability, and most importantly a dedicated graphics card.

Kinda funny how my ideas changed from about 9 months ago, lol. (I was also post #3 in here).

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  5. hytekjosh

hytekjosh Newbie

Reputations:
    Does anyone know how many external monitors the Yoga 12 can support with the Onelink Pro dock? My IT had two external monitors connected to the dock and the Yoga screen itself was still functional. Can I plug-in one additional monitor via the mini hdmi or can I daisy chain 3 off of the displayport on the dock? Thanks!

6. UncleSpam

UncleSpam Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    According to Lenovo:

"OneLink delivers data, driver-free dual video, and power through a single convenient connector"

So, probably a dual display capability, with perhaps the computer display as a third screen.

Unfortunately, the displays will have dissimilar maximum resolutions, depending on the port used.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015