TP Yoga 12, 14, or Yoga Pro 2 / 3?

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by MSMNick, Nov 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CapitalPrince

CapitalPrince Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    After using the laptop for two days here are my thoughts. Amazing screen very bright and sharp, excellent keyboard, great build quality, the 1tb HDD/16gb ssd isn't too bad, trackpad feels very nice. its very clean and professional looking laptop and 14 inch is perfect size. At 4.2 pounds surprising it doesnt feel heavy at all. Apart from the pros i want to point out some problems i encountered.

-the display is heavy (probably do to touchscreen) so if you tip the screen too far back (like around 120 degrees) it sort of tips the front of the laptop *very slightly* so when you are typing there is a VERY slight wobble. but i probably use my screen at 100 degrees and there isnt a problem. but i want to point out that the display is unusually heavy compared to a nontouchscreen laptop. the hinges are very sturdy though.

-windows 8.1 sucks. 3 times today i got the BSOD like "you pc ran into an error and needs to restart" not sure what the hell is going on. maybe i messed up something? Also compatibility issues. will try to install windows 7 later today

-i installed the witcher 1 from GOG.com. for some reason it wont detect the 840m gpu. tried everything (control panels, drivers, running in compatibility, admin) still cant get it to work. However borderlands 2 had no problems with the 840m (smooth at 900p medium-high settings).

- the harddrive/fans is not the quietest. i think its the harddrive that is producing the noise. probably a good idea to swap for a 256gb ssd

-there is very very slight light bleed in the upper left. you can barely notice it during startup. again its *very* slight.

overall i would give this laptop a 9/10, especially for less than $900. if you guys have any specific questions i would be happy to answer. the cons are very little compared to how excellent the laptop is so i would definitely recommend this laptop. also best buy has a holiday return policy until jan 15 2015 so if you dont like it you can always return. i recommend you get it through best buy and have them price match for $887.

2. tkuhe

tkuhe Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am not seeing this deal? anyone else?

3. mfgillia

mfgillia Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Either I got it wrong looking at the incorrect page or its gone now. I definitely don't see it anymore.

Their current price for the Y2Pro is okay but its not all that much cheaper than the prices we've seen over the last year.

4. mfgillia

Reputations:
    If you are an anti-windows 8.1 kind of guy and will use windows 7 instead then I would guess this likely isn't the laptop for you. You aren't going to be able to use that touch screen very effectively nor tablet, stand or tent modes.

5. saman.sh

saman.sh Newbie

Reputations:
    That $887 price for TPY14 appears to be their EPP price. I work for another company and I'm getting the same price. However as I mentioned in another topic, I'm not still sure if I should wait for other configuration options or just get the current one.

By the way, if we swap the HDD with SSD, it voids the warranty, right?

6. marcv123

marcv123 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    anyone else having trouble getting onto lenovo through the link posted above? Webiste never connects. I wonder if they blocked it somehow?

7. CapitalPrince

CapitalPrince Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    i have no idea if you can actually get the laptop on the BN gold account website but just show the price to Best Buy and you will get it for $887 instead of $1099.

Next year when haswell comes out, they might have other configurations or a better base configuration. Better processor, maybe slightly better graphics card, maybe SSD. then again thee laptop is fast enough with the current i5 4210u and 840m. makes no difference unless you want to play the lastest game.

8. MSMNick

MSMNick Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Should void warranty on HD only, so the rest of the laptop is covered. Moss-maguson act deal. Fairly certain a SSD can't fail ram, technically, but I could be wrong.

Either way, I have an Ev0 840 in my HP and I still get warranty coverage/tech support/etc. I've also added memory and never had a problem with warranty before in multiple products. Just saying.

as for windows 8.1, it takes a bit of working through the bugs and a bit more of getting used to. CP, I would get ahold of lenovo on their website for tech support right off. For my HP, I had the touchscreen stop being recognized once, and I had Sleep mode not working once. The sleep mode issue was solved by a bios update, and the touchscreen not being recognized was solved by rolling back a few windows updates. But it took troubleshooting to set up on windows 8, and then even more on windows 8.1, and every now and then an update takes some work as well. after a while, I still like the new OS in most instances over 7. I use both OS' daily, and prefer 8 for a touch laptop.

9. mfgillia

Reputations:
    How do you like that Samsung EVO 840? I'm seeing the 1 TB version for about $350 and tempted to get it. Some reviews had stated there were flaws causing slower performance over time that may or may not have been corrected with a firmware update.

10. MSMNick

MSMNick Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Correct. Me, personally, haven't noticed anything like that. However, aside from benchmarking it for the first few months,I haven't tested since. Windows 8 still pops on in 3-5 seconds, so no big deal really. I'm more stressing my memory than my SSD anyway. Most people agree if you are a movie/music hoarder, you may want to go another route, but I'm very happy with the Evo. I may benchmark it sometime soon and see how it is a year later. Can't argue the prices, though. The 850 is a nice , shiny new drive, but much more expensive, about 50% more right now. Either way, like I said, compared to an HDD I will never go back, and the evo still performs to my liking. My biggest issue is memory because I like to cache some 30 days worth of work, I.e. I don't restart my computer. I'm at 9.1gbs of ram used right now, for instance, because I have music and moves on chrome that get cached so I can watch them offline. Just really hard to get internet here so this helps, I open dozens of tabs and let them load and watch later.

Looks like the deal went belly up, can't get the site to load anymore. Kinda bummed, I missed my own party.