TP Yoga 12, 14, or Yoga Pro 2 / 3?

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by MSMNick, Nov 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CapitalPrince

CapitalPrince Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    What's the Barnes and noble gold? Do you have to pay for a membership to Barnes and noble?

2. MSMNick

MSMNick Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you don't like the 1tb drive vs an actual ssd, take a look at pricing on Samsung 850s. Pretty easy to swap in a drive yourself. A 128/256 would be cheap enough, get an external drive case, an 8gb memory stick, and make a recovery memory stick. Pop in the SSD, install windows, and throw the 1tb drive into an external case w/usb 3.0. Have your windows and ssd onboard, and extra storage when you need it. GTG. I've 3 2.5" drives I swap between once case like this at home. Probably should get 3 cases instead, but its an easy enough method.

if I can get a TPY 14 for >900, that's the ticket. Was now looking at previous gen Helix on the outlet. The outlet and retail store pricing on TPY 12 and Helix 1st gen are really close, due to a lot of discounting on the retail site right now. Good deals abound.

B&N gold looks like offers through Barnes and noble on Lenovo's site. Create an account via the link, and then log in and use the link. Cheers.

mfgillia likes this.
  3. mfgillia

mfgillia Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Followed the directions, created an account and surprised to see that it now appears I can buy a Thinkpad Yoga 14 for less than 900. I didn't really expect it to work.

Any idea how long these prices are good for? They don't appear to be temporary sale prices.

4. CapitalPrince

Reputations:
    thats crazy $887. i bought mine at best buy for $1099, will try to see if they could price match it. if not i will return it and purchase from the website.

5. tkuhe

tkuhe Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Same site has y2p at $989 for i7, 8gb, and 256gb ssd. Did you still like tp14 better?
    Figure if you upgrade the HD then they are basically same price. So that leaves build, separate graphics, display, battery, and weight as the differences.
    Sorry, I am just really struggling on how to decide between the two.

6. mfgillia

Reputations:
    Actually its better than that - on my screen it shows the y2p maxed out with i7, 8gb and 512ssd for 889. Evidently these prices are quite fluid. Much thanks to xkingpin and MSMNick for leading us to this program.

On a sad note, I was leaning towards picking up that Thinkpad Yoga 14 for $886 but its gone now. ):

Edit: And now its back.

7. CapitalPrince

Reputations:
    so happy right now, best buy price matched my lenovo TPY 14 got for less than 890. :) :) :) :)
    great deal. For $1099 i think its abit too expensive.
    the price online is for "barnes and noble gold members?", but anyone can buy it?
    I find it hilarious the best buy customer service guy gave my the extra $200 so off without even carefully looking at the website or compared the specs.

mfgillia likes this.
  8. mfgillia

Reputations:
    Congrats! Now you can take that extra money and get a 512GB SSD or add another hundred and go for a 1TB SSD - that's what I'm leaning towards doing.

How are you liking the new laptop overall?

9. MSMNick

MSMNick Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Good deal everyone. I'd love to hear reviews! I am again leaning on the TP Y14... I don't think it can be beat for my situation. Digitizer be damned, the graphics and hidden keys are what take me, as well as the 14" size. I don't really care for the 12" form factor, as far as too small of a screen and keyboard space. I can tell I just like my 14" better. Compromise between size (15, 17 inch), weight/portability, and usable screen space. I can always use a workstation afterwards for more screen space, though (such as right now) Nothing beets a 24" monitor :)

I think barnes and noble gold is just a lucky thing, it may be how barnes and noble sells lenovo products? Not sure.

mfgillia likes this.
  10. mfgillia

Reputations:
    No idea what the motivation is with the Barnes & Noble program but doubtful it will be that cheap again until around February when the new models come out. Also, it looks like that sale price will expire by November 30th so we may have two more days left before need to make a final decision.