Toughpad FZ-A2 - honest (!) opinions? 8-)

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by sunrk, Dec 6, 2016.

1. sunrk

sunrk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Pricing on new FZ-A2's here is still high and the prices have jumped up a fair bit, so I'm finding it harder to justify A$2 to 2.5k for one. Given that FZ-A1's used now sell for around A$200 a pop (basically because they cannot be upgraded beyond Android 4.0.3 so basically nothing can run on them). I actually extracted all my image files, etc. off my FZ-A1 just recently and have parked it since it's useless now. Android 6 should be supported by everything? 4.4 Kitkat is pretty much the baseline level now.

UNCNDL1 and toughasnails like this.
  2. towelie

towelie Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I have a CF-20 and it offers me way more flexibility than a Panasonic android tablet ever will. You can install android on it as well if you really want to use it.
    Made a quick video with android 8.1 x86 on this tablet, not sure about bluetooth functionnality but almost everything else seemed fine. Even the keyboard and play store works!

toughasnails and UNCNDL1 like this.
  3. safn1949

safn1949 I'm sure I'm on the wrong planet

Reputations:
    I wouldn't do it. I'm running Android 6.0 right now and already having problems with app compatibility.

For the kind of money you are looking to spend you are going to end up at the same dead end as the A1.

Shawn likes this.
  4. sunrk

sunrk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    And this is the view I'm getting from people who work in the tech industry. My phone (Sonim xp8) just did an Android 8.1 update a week ago. My FZ-A1 is now a useless brick (the camera is ok but to keep using it just for that - no thanks).

I'd be better off with a Samsung galaxy tab s4 in a protective case, sad to say.

5. safn1949

safn1949 I'm sure I'm on the wrong planet

Reputations:
    I'm seeing a lot of the D1 tablets for sale but its a Windows 10 and big. This 6.0 tablet I'm on can be a pain but it was $65 US new.

Off brand but if I replace it someday I will go Android 8 at least.

6. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    CF D1 runs Linux nicely.
    I have MX-18 on mine.

UNCNDL1 likes this.
  7. unclemack

unclemack Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey, sunrk, I still use a Samsung S4 - it's been in a £30 Trident case since new, been dropped lots, been too hot to touch from using it as a hotspot - sometimes had 3 Toughbooks and an ipad running at the same time. Tethering has caused 3 batteries to swell up and pop the screen off and the phone still looks like new after five years or more of such abuse. Just got the monthly bill down to £5 though :D so it'll probably die next week...

8. towelie

towelie Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    It might be worth it for you to get a dedicated device for hotspot purposes as a second device on your data plan, i would be worried that the battery would end up catching on fire.