Toughpad FZ-A2 - honest (!) opinions? 8-)

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by sunrk, Dec 6, 2016.

1. sunrk

sunrk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Seen Toughpad FZ A2's for sale. Didn't know Panasonic had actually released a new 10.1" format Android tablet to replace the nice but annoying FZ A1's but from first glance the specs look good.

Price wise they seem to be selling for over A$2500 new at present.

So can anyone offer any honest real world opinions of the FZ A2 or is it too early to tell?

Seems Panasonic may have listened to many of the complaints about the FZ A1 but I'm yet to see one in person to enable a side by side comparison.

Craig.

2. safn1949

safn1949 I'm sure I'm on the wrong planet

Reputations:
    Just saw one on ebay for 2k US,at least it uses a conventional ac adapter now. Problem is by the time the price drops,will it be completely obsolete or will we be able to update the OS?

3. sunrk

Reputations:
    At least it's running a much more 'developed' version of Android (4.4.x kitkat) compared to the fz-a1 which only runs 4.0.3 and cannot (officially) be upgraded.

I've seen a few ads for new fz-a2's in tech mags here but not laid eyes on one in person.

As with any tech product, the day it's released for sale it becomes obselete! Hence the day the Samsung S8 went on sale, it was already out of date!

It's how effectively we make use of the hardware in it's offered form that matters.

4. SHEEPMAN!

SHEEPMAN! Freelance

Reputations:
    Part of the joy of living in the "west" and 62 miles from town is that anything is new. Yeah there are two "cities" closer than that but they regard laptops as doorstops with handles.

toughasnails likes this.
  5. CWB32

CWB32 Need parts for my flying saucer.

Reputations:
    ehhh ...
    the town i grew up in was so small that the electrical supply was via an extension cord from the "big city" .

yeah ...
    the situation aint much better here .
    i think i have bought about maybe 40 bucks worth the electronic parts locally in the last 10 years .
    no more though ... the trash shack here shut down and the parts selection had gotten very thin over the years ... as with all of them .
    all i buy comes from yourselves , ebay , mouser , digikey , aliexpress and dealextreme .

surely panasonic would have seen what was going on and made the unit/os upgradeable .
    android is an interesting os ... just as with windows , the backward/foreward compatibility can be limited only with android it seems to be more so .
    a quick check of the "compatibility" of programs with older os versions will show this .
    i liken it to where W98-2 was when XP was released .

6. sunrk

Reputations:
    Speaking of Windows I still run my old CF28 occasionally, and it's still run Win XP pro, as is the CF18 and CF29 I do still use quite often. Never had a need to change.

I guess the FZ-A1 and it's smaller 7" cousin were the 'prototype' hardware so nothing was really set in stone for upgrades. I think the FZ-A1 originally had Android 3.2 though, so at the time 4.0.3 would have been a significant change.

Hopefully Panasonic gets smart and at least creates an upgrade to 5.1.x for the FZ-A2 as lots of apps will not run on older versions.

7. sunrk

Reputations:
    I'm considering getting a FZ-A2 and noticed Panasonic Australia doesn't acknowledge there existence.

I doubt that really matters as I never cared about support for the FZ-A1. ;-)

Is there anything specific to the FZ-A2's that won't work here? I'm presuming the radio hardware in them supports 3g and 4g (fz-a1 only supports 3g [plus now-defunct 2g]) with all the most common bands?

Does it *properly* support the use of a micro-SD card?

I'm coming across two main configs for sale - FZA2A200GAA and FZA2A200MAA - does anyone know what the difference(s) is(are) with them?

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  8. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
  9. sunrk

Reputations:
    Haven't seen any FZA2's come up for sale in the used market here yet. Is or has Panasonic offering any Android OS upgrades for it or is it knobbled with an old release (stuck with 4.4 maybe but at least that's a quite 'mature' version in the whole 4.x stream) and not upgradable through any vendor-supported route?

10. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations: