Toughbooks, Hurricanes, Gobi, and other "Prepper" questions...

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by thewanderlustking, May 6, 2018.

1. r0tati0n

r0tati0n Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Wow.

That is some story...

Regarding the ham radios, they can operate at high (8 watts) and low power. I could cover kilometers with mine.
    (It is not allowed because of no license but a short test burst is hard to triangulate)

2. theoak2

theoak2 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    In addition to already mentioned MREs, lanterns, hunting rifle, and small generator or power bank, also recommended:

A weather band radio with a hand crank generator built in. It also has a solar charger, flashlight, and USB port to recharge cell phones.
    A paper map, and orienteering compass (battery will never die)
    A Ronco portable fishing pole, and filet knife, so I can catch dinner (if water is deemed to be safe/uncontaminated).
    Drinking water filter straw if water is contaminated.

EDIT: and don't forget extra prescription medications, and USB drive with copies of all important papers (insurance policies, birth certificates, deeds, vehicle titles, etc.)

3. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    No sir... I jumped over to look on amazon and that one stuck out. When you started this thread it got me to thinking also that there are several things I need to get and to restock. I had a great Grundig SW radio with the hand crank. I let it sit for a few years in a box without being used and the internal battery exploded and it was beyond repair. So I'd like to get a new one.

That is a story of extremes.... WOW! Prepping for hurricanes is part of life down there. I am continually surprised year after year regarding the stories of those that live there that aren't prepared. Heck... I prep for hurricanes and I live 100 miles off the coast of VA where we rarely get a direct hit and only a few glancing blows every decade! But I would not get lulled into complacency because you, "always have cell service and TV."

Every person on Earth should have 3 things... Food, water and a means to defend yourself, your family and what you have. If something like Katrina hits, an earthquake, asteroid or coronal mass ejection... and there is civil unrest, I don't care where you live on the planet... People are going to want what you have and they will be desperate enough to take it from you. This is an extreme scenario... But then you have already been through one I would not have predicted!

4. thewanderlustking

thewanderlustking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Heh, and those are just the stories I can safely tell without incriminating myself!... I have lived in some rough areas. The one place I lived that was broken into? In the timespan of 2 years, I had at least 3-4 other attempts, that I KNOW about. I had a wolf, he was a very effective, deterrent.

Again, a really good guideline to go by for these things is versatility. Any item whose cost is not insignificant, say less than $20, needs to have multiple uses. Or it needs to be something that will get used year around. I only made one big exception to that, our generator. And it is a small one.

I love the idea of the 1000 gallon in ground tank and LPG generator. But I live in the city(ish). Any scenario needing that much back up power is going to have me heading elsewhere... In some ways, I wish I did live somewhere in the mountains or wilds. Then these things would just be a part of day to day life.

Going through hurricane Irma added a very interesting needed feature to any radio put into use. It HAS to have a digital display. Changing between stations on an old style needle just doesn't work well on such a small radio. It was a big frustration of the $10 radio we had on hand.

Speaking of radios and Toughbooks, has anyone tried out any of the "software" usb radios? Considering the price on them is frequently in the $20-50 range, that looks like a super cheap way to get into a VERY good radio setup with full features. And add in more super cool mods and functionality to our already awesome Toughbooks.

I mean really turning our beloved CF-19 into a world band radio ALSO?! How wicked cool is that?! I am pretty sure I can fit the radio bits inside the computer. And we all know that most of this are simply excuses to further mod our little workhorses...