ToughBooks and GPS software

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Wyrm73, Mar 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iceman304

Iceman304 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So, I guess there is no use hanging on to the
    loran C we took out of the 18.

2. Alex

Alex Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I don't think that the 18 had enough metal in it for a ground-plane to work reliably for the loran C lol

Alex

3. Wyrm73

Wyrm73 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for all the info. Looks like I will have some reading and experimenting to do this weekend.

4. Alex

Alex Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I will expand on my suggestions a bit

I have used Garmin Mapsource for a very long time for land based map navigation
    I have maps for Canada and the USA and find that it is fine for my basic needs
    It is easy to understand but will lack features that the Garmin Mobile PC that nine has recommended and as I am not as experienced with Streets and Trips and Delorme as Cap is on this I would look at his road recommendations closely as I know that he takes about a month off each year for his travels and will be more up to date on what’s the best
    This software uses Vector Maps or Charts

OziExplorer is a bit hard to learn but is a very versatile program as it will work with quite a variety of maps and charts.
    You are not limited with using one manufacturers maps as it will support many map and chart formats
    It will work for marine navigation quite well
    You can download a demo from the oziexplorer web site
    This software mainly uses Raster Maps or Charts

Nobeltec is a marine based navigation program
    Easy to learn very reliable and has features like tide bars and current arrows that display on the screen over the charts
    Not cheap but the best marine navigation software program available at this time
    Nobeltec supports both Vector and Raster Charts

I will explain the difference between Raster and Vector

Raster maps and charts are direct scanned paper maps and charts, basically copies of the original
    The program will display them as you would see them on a topographical/street map or marine paper chart

Vector maps and charts start out that way but are plotted and marked by hand to a digitized file format , they become unreadable as a simple picture file and can only be opened up on the supporting software navigation program
    The Details on the chart or map can be turned on and off such as restaurants etc Objects on the chart can be clicked on to learn more details

Since this info is computer generated features like voice routing can be supported

The vector format is the most common method used today

Alex

5. SINternet

SINternet Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I use MS Street 2004 under Windows, and GPSDrive(free) and TangoGPS(free) under Ubuntu(free). Downloadable maps using OpenStreet for GPSDrive and Tango. I actually prefer using Ubuntu over Windows. I'm surprised not too many people here talked about having the MS Action Pack. My Old Subscription with XP is more valuable than the current Pack they sell now.

SIN

6. Iceman304

Reputations:
    I was reading this thread and checked out the Garmin software. It looked interesting. I ordered it. I will let you know how it goes. It looks better than streets or DeLorme.

7. Iceman304

Reputations:
    That would be a Beech 18. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.