toughbook w8 for 379

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Boo Boo, Feb 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcompton1973

mcompton1973 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I really dont think so to be honest. There is a different set of guys dealing with this mostly...from what I have understood there are a lot of people that ordered and confirmed and everythng else that are not getting one because we did not shut off ordering fast enough. If so, I will make a post (separate topic) on here to let you guys know...but I really doubt it.

2. old busted

old busted Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks for the deal. My wife loves hers. I'll keep you guys in mind 10 years from now when it's time to replace my 31.

3. Kardan

Kardan Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks for your honesty! -- and for the "heads-up" offer!

4. Regnad Kcin

Regnad Kcin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Even though I've decided not to keep this computer I have to say I rather like the screen. The color quality etc isn't great but I really like the 12" 4:3 aspect ratio. It just works nicely. It gives you pixel/font sizes about the same as you would get on a 15" 16:9 screen (if there was a 15.0" screen) yet the foot print of this computer is almost the same as my Toshiba netbook. With a 4:3 VGA screen I do find the resolution a bit on the limiting side but not badly. I mean the vertical is the same as our 16:9 screens. The horizontal is only occasionally limiting. So unlike most ultra portables (this computer is an ultra portable in every measure save thickness) this one is easy to sit back and read the screen from arm's length. If say Lenovo made the X120e in both 16:9 (the current version) and a 4:3 VGA version, I might actually pick the 4:3 version. I know I would pick a 4:3 version if they used a 12.1" 1152 x 864 screen.

5. Boo Boo

Boo Boo Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    its nice to see the scammers on craigslist trying to get 50-100% profit from these. its the ones who do this ruin it for the people who actually want one for themselves

6. cyrilng

cyrilng Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Well, I finally got my W8 today but via eBay. :eek: Still no word from my US forward shipper if my order was processed beyond acceptance. :rolleyes: Still saved a bundle off the current price here which is nearly twice what I paid. :p

Great thing was I decided to just try popping in the 128GB Kingston SSD which had Win7 Pro 32-bit installed on it from my old W7 into the W8 & hey bingo! After a few restarts & one anxious moment to see if Microsoft would allow me to activate the OS again, everything seems like business like normal without having going through the hassles of reinstalling the OS & various programs again! :D

Now I'm deciding if it'll be worth the cost & effort to upgrade to a 64-bit version (mine's an OEM 32-bit only version). :p

7. db04p71

db04p71 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    IMO, it is not worth installing the 64-bit version. Panasonic has 32-bit drivers for the W8. There are no 64-bit drivers. People have been using 64-bit drivers from the S9 and F9. They may or may not work properly.

Keep the 32-bit version and add a 1gb stick of memory.

32-bit W8 drivers:

http://tpgweb2.net/panasonic/CF-W8_Win7_Drivers.zip

8. Regnad Kcin

Regnad Kcin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    For the time I had mine the 32 bit windows 7 seemed fine. I have 32 bit on my netbook as well (I don't think the Atom can do 64). My M4400 has 64 bit. So far I haven't noticed any issues one way or the other.

9. cyrilng

cyrilng Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks. I added 2GB already (although only 3.4GB is usable under Win7 32-bit whereas 64-bit would support more).

10. beaulieu

beaulieu Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi

Has anyone figured out a simple way to use the DVD player to hook up to a regular TV , probably with RCA plugs ?

I would like to use it in my hotel room when I am on the road

Thanks for your ideas

Beaulieu

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.