Toughbook parts commonality

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by rickdog, Jan 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SiliconTi

SiliconTi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Are motherboards interchangeable between Marks? For example, if I have a cf-28 800MHz, can I install the cf-28 1GHz board in it?

2. mnementh

mnementh Crusty Ol' TinkerDwagon

Reputations:
    In my experience, the CF-28 Mk1 (600mhz) is a unique critter; the MB and bottom case fit only that model. The Mk2 (800mhz) & Mk3 (1000mhz) are interchangeable between each other, both case and MB.

mnem
    Don't git any on ya...

3. Libretough

Libretough Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I completely agree about the cf 28 mkI.It is completely different from the MKII and mkIII and even the parts that do interchange like the LCD and touchscreen cannot be swapped as a complete assembly because of a different wiring harness.Also you can swap a 12 screen assembly with a 13 on a 800mhz and a 1000mhz and it will work fine but you do the same with a 600mhz and it will not work.The 600mhz use different mobos for the 12 and 13 screens(altough they look identical)

4. Libretough

Libretough Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes, the cf28 800 and 1000mhz motherboards interchange freely but if you have a 600 mhz you are stuck with it.

5. Twocents

Twocents Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Mk1 & Mk2 caddies will fit Mk3 CF-51s, which I believe yours should be with that processor. I've no idea about the screens. The power supply that comes with the Mk3 has an output of 8.0A instead of 5.0A on the Mk1&2. I don't know that you absolutely have to have the higher output, but I think the Core Duo takes more power the the Pentium 4 M. The case bottoms are not interchangeable, the Mk3 has two more USB ports on the back among other things. That's all I can think of offhand.

6. Toyo

Toyo Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you melt down the Magnesium onthe CF-27 thru CF30 they are compatible.:D

7. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:

The keyboard compatibility confuses me. My cf 50 has one ribbon cable and from the photos I see, it looks like all the others except the cf 51 have 2 ribbon cables. Some have 3 cables. Research done from fleabay photos.
    I would like a black rubber (#1 choice)or standard black keyboard on my cf 50. I am not worried about backlighting. Which ones work for sure?

Shawn

8. Silver Trooper

Silver Trooper Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The 50/51 both use the single ribbon keyboard. There has never been a rubber keyboard for either model. I just sold my last black keyboard, but I have the grey/white version if you can use it. Many have tried to use a keyboard from other units, but they all have at least two ribbon cables and some have three.

9. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    Thanks, I have the gray/white version already. Just looking to upgrade to a black one. Rubber would be really great, but I guess that's not possible. Is the 50-51 series the only ones with one ribbon cable?

Shawn

10. Silver Trooper

Silver Trooper Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    As far as I can remember,they are the only ones. At least of the ones I have had apart.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.