Toughbook CF-30 - Odd Power Issue

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by SugarD-x, Jun 5, 2017.

1. SugarD-x

SugarD-x Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Well I may have spoken too soon! My fingerprint reader apparently doesn't want to play nice and be detected in Windows 10, however it is in BIOS. I'm trying to debug it as we speak. I remember I had issues sometimes getting it detected upon startup in Windows 10 every so often, but it would eventually show up after a restart. Unfortunately that trick isn't working this time with the new motherboard.

On a side note, does anyone know what the best place to get a new thermal pad for the CF-30's CPU is? Mine is pretty beat up and I'd like to replace it. I've only ever used thermal paste on my systems before, so thermal pads, (especially in Toughbooks), is new territory for me.

Edit: There goes the neighborhood! The diagnostic utility in BIOS is also saying my WWAN test failed, (which it passed prior). That may be my fault, though. I had to do a lot of guessing to trace some of the antenna wires back to the correct locations. I'm guessing I mixed one up...

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  2. SugarD-x

SugarD-x Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Well...not sure why BIOS is unhappy about WWAN. It seems to be working fine, (other than my inability to sign up for a plan through T-Mobile still hahaha).

The fingerprint reader is driving me insane. I've tried absolutely everything I can think of, and Windows just will not detect it at all. Before it would, and I'd simply have to change the driver to a different version which allowed it to work with Windows 10. Now I'm getting nothing. Anyone have any ideas? I've checked and reseated the cable at least a dozen times, and even tried flipping it in case I had it upside down and wasn't paying attention. I'm not even getting any unknown or unreadable devices in Device Manager. It simply doesn't know it is there. Playing with the cable while Windows is booted doesn't cause it to briefly play the connect/disconnect sound either.

3. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    defective cable maybe

SugarD-x likes this.
  4. SugarD-x

SugarD-x Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    That's what I'm fearing, and I sure hope not. It is attached to the reader directly on one end, which means that is a $30 replacement from eBay, not to mention a ton more needless effort at pulling my CF-30 apart for the billionth time.

5. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    If you can see an unknown biometric device in Device Manager... Then you have a driver issue. If you don't see it at all... You have a hardware issue.

With regard to the possible driver issue... I want to say that I had to track down a driver from the manufacturer once. I did get it to work... But the look wasn't the same.

Shawn likes this.
  6. SugarD-x

SugarD-x Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Unfortunately I'm not getting anything in Device Manager at all, unless it is being mislabeled as something more generic and I'm just not seeing it.
    I did read somewhere in this forum that older BIOS versions had issues recognizing the Bluetooth hardware and needed updates. Any chance that can be the case with the fingerprint reader too? This new motherboard may be outdated.

7. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    Did you enable the FP reader in BIOS?

8. SugarD-x

SugarD-x Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It doesn't come up for me to enable or disable it, however it does give me the option to set the fingerprint security on or off for booting up the system.

9. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    Then to me that tells me that your BIOS is built to recognize it but your OS doesn't see it... IE... You need to fix it! A bad reader or connection most likely.

SugarD-x and Shawn like this.
  10. SugarD-x

SugarD-x Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I really hope the new motherboard isn't bad. The cable for the reader is physically connected to it on one end, so the other end just goes straight into the motherboard's slot. I don't see any damage, and I didn't remove the fingerprint reader when I changed out motherboards, (other than unplugging the cable, obviously).

Unfortunately I don't have a second reader laying around to test which is bad, and I'm not about to swap motherboards again for such a simple check. Looks like another $30 down the drain in repairs come payday for a new reader then. :p