Toughbook CF-30 CCFL Backlight Failure

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Mark Wickens, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Mark Wickens

Mark Wickens Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all. Hope you are all well. A few days ago I noticed a flickering of the backlight on my CF-30 Mk3 which progressively got worse until today when the backlight failed. If I turn the laptop off and on it will run for a bit but then drops out completely again.

I'm presuming this is the inverter that is on the blink - given that it is a failure from both sides of the display. The CCFL tubes are quite yellowed and if the numbers are correct the laptop has run up around 30,000 hours - although it is in excellent cosmetic condition.

So the question is - LED conversion or replace the CCFL's and inverter? I'm presuming the inverter is a Toughbook specific part and a generic unit wouldn't fit (although I am also presuming that the CCFLs can be bought from a 3rd party supplier)?

I *can sometimes* be fairly handy when it comes to electronics but TBH the more difficult the job the more I'm likely to mess it up. Although I have been known to swap positive and negative on the simplest of circuits!

I'd like to do the LED conversion, but need some comforting words before I take a screwdriver to my lovely CF-30!

Thanks for the help - and all the previous trail blazing that makes this even a possibility.
    I'm considering the following LED backlights: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111748838166

2. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
  3. safn1949

safn1949 I'm sure I'm on the wrong planet

Reputations:
    The LCD and inverter are easy to replace,if you don't feel comfortable doing a LED retrofit.

4. Mark Wickens

Reputations:
    Thanks for the help. I've reviewed the three posts about LED replacement again. I have contacted the seller of the LED strips to determine whether they are suitable. I'd like to convert to LED's, so if I can do it at a reasonable cost I'll give it a go.

Cheers, Mark.

5. Mark Wickens

Reputations:
    I had a response from the seller - with a question. I wonder if anyone can confirm this?

So this panel uses two CCFLs.
    First check if original inverter input has the same regulation as usual inverters
    5v on start up and 0 till 3,3v regulation

Thanks, Mark

6. Shawn

Reputations:
    Schematic lists it as Vc5, so I will say 5v.

7. CWB32

CWB32 Need parts for my flying saucer.

Reputations:
    while i like the idea of leds over ccfls the realities are another story .
    having recently had a go at retrofitting a led strip into an exceedingly dim '52 (they were like that brand-new) , there are a couple of considerations ...
    a major problem i ran into was the "stage footlight" effect ... this comes from the fact that the diffusion characteristics were designed for a lineal light source , not the "spot sources" that a led strip has .
    this effect is a deal killer for me ... with some other issues on the side (such as the way that the pwm is done with cmos driver/buffer) .
    if it were me , i would replace the ccfls and an electrolytic cap on the inverter board and call it a day .

one could always replace the whole lid assembly but unless the '30 has been sitting in a closet for many years , the ccfls in these machines are going to be "tired" .
    i do not know if it is possible to retrofit a whole lid assembly from a '31 onto a '30 base , but if all things jibed , this would be the way to go .
    the voltage supply for the inverter and the "direction" of the pwm signal are the first two major concerns (although , one could make an inverter for the pwm signal) .

8. Mark Wickens

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info CWB32. Regardless of what I decide, is there an obvious fault that causes these symptoms? I'd be quite happy to replace an electrolytic or two on the inverter board to get the machine up and running again till I decide what I want to do as a permanent fix. If I went down replacing the CCFLs - are they a standard part I can get from a 3rd party supplier? Is it simply a case of getting tubes the correct length?

Cheers, Mark.

9. Mark Wickens

Reputations:
  10. Shawn

Reputations:
    They appear to be ok.
    You may have to do some minor custom work with the rubber ends since the CF30 uses 2 tubes side by side.