Toshiba Tecra M2 vs. DELL Latitude D600

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by rtknecro, Apr 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rtknecro

rtknecro Newbie

Reputations:
    Both are around $1400 for the options that I need. Both come with a Pentium M at 1.4ghz, 256MB RAM, 40GB hard-drive (M2 is 4200rpm while D600 has the 5400rpm option), and WiFi LAN.

2. Andrew Baxter

Andrew Baxter -

Reputations:
    I'd up the RAM to 512 before buying either, then weigh options such as how good a warranty is that's included (very important for a laptop), the graphics card and of course the overall ergonomics (keyboard, mouse, touchpad) of the machine. This is of course tough to do with Dell because they're purely online.

3. cknobman

cknobman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I own a tecra m2 and I looked at the dell 600 before I purchased. There is no way Id ever get the dell. Build quality is 10 times better on the toshiba and you also get a better graphics card. My toshiba came with a 60 gig hard drive that is 5400 rpm and it flies!! Not to mention toshiba has a 3 year standard warranty on their laptops that also covers the battery for the 1st year. Dell you pay extra for 3 years and there is no battery coverage.

The final blow was for the simiarly equipped dell I was going to pay almost $200 more and the quality was crap compared to toshiba.

Tecra M2 all the way no contest.

4. Hawaii-geek

Hawaii-geek Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I would add to what "ck" wrote by saying ... the 3 year "idiot proof" SystemGuard warrenty ... drop and damage coverage is only $ 179.00.
    and Toshiba has a "A" rating on PCmag Service and Reliability Survey.
    Dell from what I remember was not even close to a "A" rating.

<blockquote id='quote'>quote:<hr height='1' noshade id='quote'>Originally posted by cknobman

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  5. rhlitt

rhlitt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I also bought the M2. Toshiba's depot service is awesome. They send a you a pre-paid box the next day, and pick it up the same day a little later and it's back in 2 days...how can you beat that? Anyone that has used a laptop for years knows that this is probably the most important feature. Just make sure that the model you choose comes with the 3 year, not the 1 year warranty standard! Tecras used to always include the 3 year, but one or two this year are sneaking in the 1 year warranty. Once you get the notebook, you need to go into the bios and disable the stretch mode for the display as this was accidentally programmed on many of the Tecras, and you are all set (hold down the escape key at boot up to access the bios). Good luck. Randy

6. cknobman

cknobman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    True about the stretch mode. I wondered why the screen quality was a little off and some things seemed larger than they needed to be. If you turn off stretch mode the screen looks much better. THANKS!!

7. rhlitt

Reputations:
    Your welcome! Regards, Randy

8. cung

cung Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Randy - where did you end up getting the M2? Many sites seem to be on backorder...

Thanks

9. rhlitt

Reputations:
    Chris- I got a great deal on the model I was looking at and received it really fast. I e-mailed you the info just now. Regards, Randy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.