1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Toshiba satellite A350 bios recovery (Phoenix)

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by dirak1974, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Honn

Honn Newbie

I have a Satellite A500 and got through the same experience. I am able to follow your recovery instructions except that I cannot get the Laptop to boot in crisis recovery mode. Fn+B or Fn+F or F12 none of them work. I cannot get the Laptop to see the flash drive at all.

2. Honn

Honn Newbie

I have a Satellite A500 and got through the same experience. I am able to follow your recovery instructions except that I cannot get the Laptop to boot in crisis recovery mode. Fn+B or Fn+F or F12 none of them work. I cannot get the Laptop to see the flash drive at all.

3. magician369

magician369 Newbie

hello...
    will this method work on satellit L755-16L ? how to get to recovery mod with this laptob? and another quistion: i have downloded the bios file it is called ''bios230.exe'' is this the bios flash rom file i have to rename it to bios.wph. if it is not then where is it? and btw i could not run wincris.exe on windose7 only on xp.

4. Elimaes12

Elimaes12 Newbie

I am trying to do this BIOS crisis recovery on a toshiba satellite A300-129.
    When I boot the laptop while holding the fn+esc keys, the laptop appears to be trying to read the USB Drive, but fails.
    The USB LED blinks once, then stops.

I assume I'm doing something wrong with the drive formatting/files I put on there, or perhaps the key combination I'm using which is wrong.

I've been using the above procedures, tried different key combinations, other versions of crisdisk,...

I found the service manual for the satellite A300 online, but I'm confused about which button it says to push.
    'Turn on the power while holding down the [`~] key (on the left of the space key). (Keep holding down the key until a message appears on the screen.) The BIOS rewriting starts.'
    On some keyboard languages the key they mention is below the escape key. So they mean all the way to the left of the BACK space key. It doesn't change a thing however on how the booting goes.
    http://tim.id.au/laptops/toshiba/equium%20a300%20satego%20a300%20satellite%20a300%20pro%20a300.pdf

Any advice on what I might be doing wrong is very welcome!

5. jaxzxx

jaxzxx Newbie

My Satellite Pro L300 cannot reboot after it restart during Toshiba recovery wizard activation. I'm getting a message at start-up Bootmgr is missing. Please can someone help me on this one.

6. mrroonie

mrroonie Newbie

i just created an account here to say THANK YOU for this page. was updating a friends laptop and got the bios update direct from tosh's site - damn thing froze half way through and completely bricked the system. the instructions below saved me from telling a friend i killed his laptop. LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!

7. cdoublejj

cdoublejj Notebook Deity

has one notice the first instructions say to remove the battery and ac adpter then turn it on, i'm seriously interest in what technology is powering the laptop with out a battery or ac adapter. :D :p

8. Goukie

Goukie Newbie

Hello guys i have toshiba satallite x200 with bios problem. When i plug the power cord while im pressing fn+b fan starts workng but usb drive doesnt blink if i press power button while im pressing fn+b fan gains speed but no blinking at all. what im doing wrong ?

9. dare4us

dare4us Newbie

Hi
    SSvastika could you please let me know the procedure you followed, as i also have Toshiba L450d model and no bios file or update is available on the Toshiba website, so just wondering which bios image you used.
    Thanks

10. Andi24

Andi24 Newbie

Dear alxlbf2,
    could you please help me on how to recover my satellite a350 bios or how to re-program the e-prom/rom?

thank you.

regards, Andi

11. Garsija

Garsija Newbie

Hi everyone.
    sorry for refresh this topic, by i have probably this same problem. I have prepare to update bios in my customer laptop that is Toshiba Satellite a200-1hv and this upgrade operation start without my confirmation and unfortunately he restart and now i have dead notebook. I try to use this crisis method but this doesn't work. I don't know if this is good or not, by when i complete making crisis usb stick, i have only 32KB space used. In the next step when i put this usb stick to my usb port and i start laptop with holding Fn+B keys, laptop start running and the fan is on high speed, but the usb LED is not blinking, but she is all time turned on. I was waiting for 30min, but this laptop do not want to turn off.

Maybe anyone has some idea, what can i still do?

12. mr_mufy

mr_mufy Newbie

HI.

I have exacly the same problem.
    My laptop it's a A350D-20m and i can't recover the bios...

My last oficial bios it's a 1.80.
    I use Windows 7 with admin prev. to create the crisdisk.
    The crisdisk copy the files, but the USB stick only has 34 Kb in use!!!

So I can't restore my laptop.

Can some one indicate the best way to create the usb stick?

13. patroos

patroos Newbie

I hope this is helpful for others with a bios file that doesn't fit on a diskette (&/or with an USB stick that is "too big")
    I also noticed that quite some Toshiba Satellite L550 users couldn't restore the bios.

I managed to unbrick a Toshiba Satellite L550-13K:
    Downloaded Phoenix Crisis Bios Recovery using the mediafire link & extracted it
    Downloaded the 1.90-WIN BIOS update from Toshiba | Leading Innovation, extracted using 7-zip and renamed twAA190A.ROM to BIOS.WPH

Having read all the posts on this site I used the latest GParted CD to delete the FAT32 partition on my 16Gb USB stick and create a 1GB FAT partition. (Any Windows partition prog would probably work too, but GParted is free and not that difficult to use)

Restarted Windows XP, plugged in the USB stick, ran the WINCRIS.EXE.
    This only gave me the USB stick as "Removable Disk".
    I left "Create MINIDOS Crisis Disk" selected and clicked "Start"

WINCRIS reported success.
    I checked the partition & only found 3 files there: BIOS.WPH, MINIDOS.SYS & PHLASH16.EXE
    Unfortunately the BIOS.WPH was a 1kb dummy file, leftover from previous tries - I just copied the correct (2.1 Mb) one over it.
    Somehow reason WINCRIS reformatted the drive to a capacity of 31.9 Mb! But it did work anyway (see below).

After that I just followed the instructions from this thread: unplug power (battery wasn't present), insert USB stick, hold Fn + b keys, replug power, press power button:
    fan noise + 2 secs USB activity, after about 5 secs another 15 secs USB activity, after couple of minutes fan noise stopped.

Can't remember if the PC rebooted automatically after that but boot into Windows it did!

For those who would try this too: I tried to make a bootable (?) CD using a virtual floppy (created with vfd) which I formatted with WINCRIS.
    Unfortunately WINCRIS didn't want to use my (virtual) High Density diskette, so I used a standard capacity one.
    I used the "bootable CD" option of Nero v6.5 with that "boot" diskette, & just added the BIOS.WPH to the CD. But NO GO.
    Anyway, easier to buy (or lend) a small USB stick than to try to make a CD work.

14. patroos

patroos Newbie

Regarding my previous post:
    I checked with GParted and found a 16GB FAT16 partition on the pendrive.
    So the WINCRIS format ignored my partitioning of the pendrive.
    But MSDOS can't access FAT volumes larger than 2 Gb ( and 4Gb is the max size for FAT16, see Maximum partition size using the FAT16 file system in Windows XP )

My best guess to why Crisis Bios Recovery worked anyway:
    the File Allocation just "wraps around" (adresses after 2Gb get "translated" to the 2Gb adress space), but the "wrap around" didn't kick in because I only used a very small part of a freshly formatted pendrive.
    Would be nice to hear from someone who knows for certain if this is what really happens!

I tried unsucessfully to find a program that would let me inspect the bootsector.
    So I deleted all three files from the pendrive and used it to boot another PC.
    Message: "Flash crisis recovery disk. Remove and press any key"
    So it seems certain that WINCRIS.exe puts a (custom) bootsector there - you have to use it.

btw, if you can't reproduce the recovery procedure: you MUST keep holding Fn + b (or whatever key combo works on your type of machine) while plugging in the power and pressing the power button.

15. franbugallo

franbugallo Newbie

Hi! I accidentally updated my bios and it went wrong! Now I'm trying to fix it using the phoenix crisis tool. I think I do everything ok, but my pc doesn't read my usb. The Led doesn't blink....I don't know what to do... I've tried with several usb drives and even a memory card. Get no succes. Does anyone know what could be happening? Thank you very much

16. patroos

patroos Newbie

Hello franbugallo,

btw - which Toshiba are you trying to "unbrick"?
    Do you get the loud fan noise? Because that is the indication that the Phoenix crisis code is looking for the recovery disk (or usb drive).
    If the fan stays silent you are probably using an incorrect key combination.
    Did you format the USB drive with WINCRIS.exe and did you remove the battery from the laptop?
    Did you use an USB drive <= 2 Gb?

If you did all that correctly but ran WINCRIS.exe on Windows 7, you might try formatting the USB disk on a Windows XP machine instead.
    At least one person reported that it didn't work with Windows 7 and it did work for me with XP.

patroos

17. jharvie

jharvie Newbie

I have a Toshiba Satellite A350D-005, and when I went to upgrade the bios from V1.5 to V1.8 via the download file specifically for my laptop model from the Toshiba site, the WinPlash program unexpectedly crashed part way through. I have tried to reflash the bios using various versions of Crisis using a USB drive as well as a USB floppy, with no luck. By holding fn+b, there is a noticeable difference where the fan kicks into high speed, and the usb device begins to read for a period of time. The laptop never shuts off however, so after about half an hour I try to unplug it and restart. The result is the same before, black screen, nothing else. I have tried taking the hard drive and dvd burner out as well, still no change. I have plugged the hard drive into a desktop system via sata cables and was able to navigate to the Temp folder located in the windows directory that contained the WinPhlash folder, and from this I have been able to recover the Bios backup that it supposedly made. I have tried to reflash with the backup, no difference as well. I did manage to open the log that winphlash created, and from what I can gather, it starts flashing the bios around block 18 and works its way down, and appears to have frozen around block 4. Any suggestions for what else I can possibly try to save my laptop?
    Thanks!

18. patroos

patroos Newbie

Hello jharvie
    Looks like you already thoroughly tried EVERYTHING unfortunately.

Just to make sure:
    Did you rename your Toshiba .ROM file to BIOS.WPH?
    Did you use version 1.0.0.4 of Crisis posted here by dirak1974? (mediafire link)

I hope I didn't offend you with those suggestions, but sometimes one gets so
    wrapped up in problem solving as to forget the obvious...

19. MasterWing

MasterWing Newbie

I just rescued a Toshiba Satellite A215 from a bad Bios update which almost was taken for a brick. Thank you dirak1974, just followed your post and it worked !!

If it is of any help i did it with a 2GB flash memory (Kingston-Data Traveler) formatted FAT using WindowsXP, then used Phoenix Crisis with the requested files as said on the post. Laptop is back to life.

20. Ou7-2

Ou7-2 Newbie

Model Name: EQUIUM P200-178
    Model No. PSPB2E-001002AV

Hello,

I wanted to upgrade my BIOS laptop under Windows to the latest version provided on the Toshiba support website for my laptop (1.70).

I've downloaded the bios and the windows update program. But when I've stated it, it runs automotically to the backup and then the update.
    While updating the utility was freezed and didn't respond.
    I've waited for a long time but the update never finished.

After switching off the laptop, I couldn't start it again. The power led just blinked.
    Reading this forums provided some information, but no one could help.
    I can start the laptop in BIOS recovery mode holding Fn + B keys, but don't have access to the bootable USB (usn stick led don't blink) with the bios file.
    The DVD-ROM led was blinking but didn't start the update from the bootable CD-ROM.

Can you please Provide support?

Is there any Jumper to set to get the recobery working for USB?
    Is it possible to change/reprogram the BIOS again?
    or should I send the hole laptop for repaire?

Thank you in advance for your help and support.

Regards,