Toshiba romless MXM-II HD4650 DDR3 1 GB @ Acer 5920G soldering project for beginners

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ergoon, Oct 19, 2012.

1. z0id

z0id Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello! I'm here to bring some life into this (awesome) thread. I plan to mount the HD4650 into a HP Elitebook 8530w laptop, which currently has a Nvidia Quadro FX 770m MXM II video card. (I'm doing it for the drivers, in case you're wondering). I already ordered the HD4650, and now I'm about to place the order for the flash and 10kOhm resistors. I have a couple of questions:

2. Since I'll be using an empty EPROM, how do I go about "blind flashing" this chip. Any link/reading material would be welcome. If there is such a thing for a HP 8530w, that is. I realise I may be in the wrong thread with this one.
    3. What is the TDP of the 4650? Does it really require a copper shim? As far as I understood from this thread, I can use a non-metallic thermal paste for the CPU and thermal pads for the RAM. Is this ok?

Hopefully, the laptop won't give me any nasty surprises, linke not being fully MXM compliant or who knows what. I'll post an update and some pics once I have all the stuff.
    Cheers!

I'll post some pics once I have all the stuff. Hopefully, it will work. :)

EDIT: Nasty surprise #1: apparently, HP has wifi card/video card whitelist whith the latest BIOS (which I have). I'll have to find a way to overcome this.

EDIT2: So there is no solution to this; the sBIOS cannot be modded to remove the whitelist or reverted to a previous version (of which there is a modded version, with WAN card restrictions removed, although that wouldn't be very helpful either). No WWAN/WAN/GPU card other than the HP approved ones can be used. This laptop turned out to be more of a walled garden than an Apple product. I cancelled my orders for the card and electronics; luckily I fount out on time about the restrictions.

Safe to say, I won't be buying HP from now on. :)

2. xxxlello83xxx

xxxlello83xxx Newbie

Reputations:
    How do I put this on a 5920 Ati HD4650 ROMless? I loaded the bios_mxm_v3(download post 60) on phoenix bios editor, went to option rom and the rom hd4650ddr3(download post 60) loaded and saved. Was I right? Or something wrong?

Inviato tramite corriere espresso

3. PelzigesOhr

PelzigesOhr Newbie

Reputations:
    I successfully replaced a faulty Geforce 8400M GS with a romless ATI HD4650 in my Acer Aspire 7720ZG. I bought the flash chip M25P05A and all other components from https://www.darisusgmbh.de/, if any other german board readers wonder where they can get the parts.

I glued 0805 resistors onto the flash chip, soldered the chip onto the board and then soldered the required connections using wires. It looks like an abomination and may come in contact with the heatpipe, which is why the heatpipe was isolated using electrical tape, but it works.
    IMG_0392_KL.jpg

The system BIOS was replaced by the appropriate BIOS linked in thread http://forum.notebookreview.com/acer/575866-acer-mxm-bios-mods-discussion-x920g-vs-9600m-gt.html, but I'm not sure if this is needed.

The video BIOS was replaced by the file linked in post #60.

ATI Winflash 2.6.7 was used to flash the video BIOS onto the card. I installed Windows 7 on a spare hard drive, enabled remote desktop connections, put the hard drive into the Acer laptop and was able to connect from another system to the Acer machine in order to flash the card while having visual feedback of what is happening.

Thanks for the information on how to install the BIOS flash chip.

4. wawru

wawru Newbie

Reputations:
    first thing... sorry for my english
    and thanks a lot for this tutorial :-D when I bought new card for my 6930g and replace old 9600m i think my new card is broken but this thread give me hope for more FPS :)

Well... when I had a 4650 1gb ddr3 without bios and start looking for M25P05. Found one M25P10AV in hdd matrox 80gb (also in seagate baracuda 80gb) and flash it with bios from topic 60. Next soldered 3x10kOhm resistor... mount in MXM2 slot i my acer and... I cant see nothing. I supose GPU is working properthy becose win os starting normaly but i heve blank screen. I supose need flash sBIOS but I cant mod this myself, can somone help with this?

WP_20140304_001.jpg
    WP_20140304_008.jpg
    WP_20140304_006.jpg

5. ergoon

ergoon Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @pchatzop, z0id, xxxlello83xxx, PelzigesOhr, wawru [...] : Thanks for your reply, nice results and information. - I hope, somebody can help you...

Hi there and sorry! I forgot to visit my thread for a very long time. Actually, I didn't expect more activity after user "valuxin" posted the softmod idea:

It works! - :rolleyes:

Valuxin's original idea:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/ace...5950-gddr5-need-help-get-work-acer-7738g.html

There is the guide about that topic:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/notebook-dummy-guide-articles/729560-guide-how-integrate-video-bios-file-into-motheboard-s-system-bios-based-phoenix-how-get-romless-video-card-work.html

BTW: I still use my 5920G and still use my EEPROM-modded HD4650 and still use the X9100 CPU! :thumbsup:

Starlight5 and propolkin like this.
  6. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    I know, I've tried it myself :)

7. KRSOLAR

KRSOLAR Newbie

Reputations:

Hello everyone! Could you give me some links to finished Acer Aspire 5920g sbios which contains Toshiba MXM-II HD4650 DDR3 1 GB vbios? Thank you very much in advance.

8. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    Here you go. As with all stuff of this kind, the usual warning that if your laptop explodes in your face, I'm not responsible :)

Starlight5 and downloads like this.
  9. pchatzop

pchatzop Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, i have some problems conveying my thoughts across the internet :). What i truly meant is the thought, effort, money and broken card(construction v1 :( ) that had to go before the mod worked, only to be superseded by a simple bios softmod. Thank to your efforts though, we now know how to install such cards and other romless mxm 3.0 cards in laptops that cant be softmodded safely, such as the hp elitebook or more obscure locked mxm machines(Complal IFL90 etc.).

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  10. KRSOLAR

KRSOLAR Newbie

Reputations:
    Triturbo, I would like to thank you once again for the bios. My Acer 5920g with new graphic card works fine. After blind flashing, I have also discovered, that my old geforce 8600gs is still working. :)

By the way, is it possibile to softmode Geforce GTS 360M from Asus G60J ?