Toshiba romless MXM-II HD4650 DDR3 1 GB @ Acer 5920G soldering project for beginners

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ergoon, Oct 19, 2012.

1. ergoon

ergoon Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @pchatzop: Very interesting idea. Maybe you can post the detailed specifications of your radeon 9600 card, so the pros can take a look...

Do I understand correctly? - You plan to boot into a flashing environment and force a flash with the "wrong" HD4650 bios, because you don't like the blind flashing option and have no programmer? -- Your card will not work anymore after that procedure. -- Then, you desolder the vbios chip and the resistors and mount them to the hd4650. -- There could be a kind of ID check, to prevent flashing the completely wrong vbios to the card. -- I cannot give the final answer, but I found a lot of threads dealing with flashing the wrong bios to a card. Example:

I flashed my 5970 wrong! - techPowerUp! Forums

2. pchatzop

pchatzop Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Blind flashing is impossible, as AlexCos has stated, because the 9600 vbios will prevent the laptop from booting up at all(as opposed to an empty chip, that allow for the laptop to boot albeit with a black screen, but still allow bling-flashing). I can make a programmer myself but would prefer the easier way of just software flashing the card in dos and then desoldering the chip and resistors and putting them in my hd4650. The primary obstacle in my endeavor is sourcing a M25P05A/10A without costing me an arm and a leg, and AlexCos gave me the idea of reusing an old's card vbios chip for the project. I will probably go for it at some point soon and tell you how it goes. The 9600 card does not even work properly(works only in safe mode in low resolution, probably bga chip failure) so using it for the project would be a godsend.
    EDIT: If someone where to send me a close up photo of a M25P05A/10A to check if the chip on the old card is compatible, it would be great. Regards.

3. ergoon

ergoon Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @pchatzop: Ok, take a look at the chips - some good and some badly damaged parts - and some more info (the unit of the scale is cm --- 1 inch = 2.54 cm):

[​IMG]

4. pchatzop

Reputations:
    Sadly, my cards have the kind of bios chip suited for gt 230/330 mods. I was unable to source a M25P05/10-A in my inventory, so it would be really convenient to send me some of your leftover chips,(i would cover the shipping charges and the cost of the chips) so i can continue the project. PM me for info if you are interested. Thanks for all your help.

5. tomba2k

tomba2k Newbie

Reputations:
    there's nothing missing, I have the same toshiba, identical MXM card, this place is empty, and card is working on toshiba laptop. will try to make it working on acer 5920g soon^.^

6. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    You can try to include the vBIOS in the sBIOS as described in this topic. Basically all you have to do is open the sBIOS in Phoenix BIOS Editor, place the vBIOS in the "Option ROM" folder, save it, and then flash it. For more in-depth guidance check the thread.

You can use whichever method suits you better.

No hard feelings, ergoon :p

7. ergoon

ergoon Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    OMG, that would be a real cool solution for everybody without any soldering stuff! Good job! I will take a look at the given thread. So I could declare this thread closed. :rolleyes:

8. ergoon

ergoon Notebook Guru

Reputations:

IMPORTANT UPDATE 2013: "valuxin" suggested a mod of the bios WITHOUT soldering a chip (thx to "triturbo" for the link):
    My question: Has anybody successfully completed the procedure with a romless HD4650 (or other cards)? It would be interesting to know!

Be careful, modding your sBIOS could damage your notebook! No guaranties!
    Needed files, system bios for the 5920G and video bios for the HD4650: Posting #60

@pchatzop: Sorry, I can't PM you until you have enough nbr messages, but maybe the sBIOS mod could be a solution for you. Be careful, I haven't checked that way. You should ask valuxin for more information. :D

9. pchatzop

Reputations:
    After a lot of time, i came across the card , and thought about giving it a shot again. I did the sbios bios as valuxin suggested, integrating hd4650ddr3.rom as oprom2 in the Option ROM in netroller3d 5920g_mxm_v3 bios using phoenix bios editor pro 2.2.1.3 . It worked with both the (reflowed) 8600 gt and with the romless toshiba 4650 card :D. So it may seem ergoon work was for nothing, but it may still pave the way of using these cards on other mxm laptops where sbios mods are risky or impossible. This thread can really close now as we really have exhausted all possible ways on making these niche cards working on the 5920g and similar laptops. Thanks everyone for your input and your contribution to the community.

10. pchatzop

Reputations:
    I should also add, this paves the way for the ultimate 5920g upgrade, the peculiar shaped 360m gts from asus. Integrating its vbios into the sbios could bring it down to plug and play level, and create the world's first 2007 laptop with a 2010 GDDR5 gpu! Thanks to the 5920g's heatsink peculiar inverted shape, it should require no trimming at all to fit this beast. Now if someone were to take the plunge... :D