Toshiba R700 / R705 /R630 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by meboy, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrackSmart

TrackSmart Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This doesn't exactly answer your question because you specifically ask about HDMI and about the R700, but you should be able to set any resolution that the graphics card and driver allow if you use a standard VGA cable. That's always been my fail-safe when HDMI or DVI fail to provide native resolution support. I've heard people say that the image quality suffers when using a VGA cable, but I have not been able to notice the difference on the displays I've used. Good luck.

2. SSDperformance

SSDperformance Newbie

Reputations:
    I would like to add a small SSD drive to my R700-15Q to boost it's performance, and lengthen it's life a bit.

Unfortunately, my toshiba portege r700-15q (bought in the UK) does not have a CD/DVD/optical drive bay, and does not have an obvious cut-out/panel to remove to install one either, so I can't use the common optical drive caddy as a solution to install a second drive.

I am also still loving the machine, it still looks modern, the main downside for me, is the constant noise the fan generates, presumably due to slight overheating. I use it as my everyday machine, I maxed the Ram at 8GB from crucial, and when docked in my toshiba docking station it is driving 2 Dell u2412m (one via VGA and one via HDMI, one in portrait, the other in landscape).

My fall back position is one of the new seagate hybrid SSHD's (8GB SSD and 1000GB magnetic), but I would prefer to install a second 32 or 64GB SSD drive, and place the OS and frequently used applications on it, and leave the normal internal drive for storage.

Does anyone know if I can install a second drive inside a portege r700 that does not have an optical drive??

Thanks!

3. alexUW

alexUW Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If you have the non-optical drive version, it most likely is not probable nor possible to add a second harddrive [although, if a r700 owner has more information, please comment].

Another option is to replace the existing harddrive with a SSD [perhaps a 256GB SSD?]. Although the storage is most likely less than what you have now, you'll still have the benefits of having a SSD. [so there's a trade off].

The hybrids are nice, but still do not offer the true SSD experience.

Good luck and keep us posted with any updates

4. maocheia

maocheia Newbie

Reputations:
    I fixed it by doing a fresh windows 7 install and not updating the intel graphics drivers on windows update. Also works fine with ubuntu.:)

5. nareth

nareth Newbie

Reputations:
    I've had a 240gb ssd in my r700 for a while, and it's absolutely worth it!

6. immix

immix Newbie

Reputations:
    My R705 needs a motherboard replacement and I am thinking of retrofitting a motherboard from either a R835 (Sandy Bridge) or R935 (Ivy Bridge). Motherboards for R705, R835, and R935 look identical and are available on ebay for $50-$60. Apart from USB 3 ports and processors, I couldn't find any other differences between the three models. Has anyone done this before and is this even possible?

7. CarlosA

CarlosA Newbie

Reputations:
    I own a Toshiba R630 and recently replaced the original disk with a Crucial SSD one, gaining a big boost of performance. I've been using the old Hitashi drive in an external case through the eSATA port without any problem.
    Today I replaced the optical drive with a new caddy containing my old disk. Physically all went good (apart from the fact that I had to take off the back cover, more than 25 screws; I took the opportunity to clean the fan) but when I turned the computer on and accessed the BIOS the Hitashi disk is recognized as an optical drive!
    You may see an image here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxkqpkWLS8_nMFotaUlEbE4xTnc/view?usp=sharing
    In Windows 7, Disk Management recognizes it as a disk, but can't initialize it.

Any help would be appreciated!

8. Trystam

Trystam Newbie

Reputations:
    Just out of not so sheer curiosity anyone replaced the palmrest ?
    The one on mine near the "cooler" the "paint" has started to get all bubbly all due to heat.
    Would i need to buy a new isolant or just adding 3m double tape do it on top of the isolant ?

Cheers

Francisco

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.