Toshiba R700 / R705 /R630 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by meboy, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deeznutz206

deeznutz206 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I have the 705-p35 and F2 is to get into Bios utility whereas F12 is to set the boot sequence for a single time.

On a different note, has there been a fix to the screen washout that alot of people have experienced with this laptop?

2. intraz

intraz Newbie

Reputations:
    -------------------------------------
    Hi,

This is somewhat old but I wanted to know if you remember which caddy you used.

Thanks a lot,
    Eyal

3. gaiex

gaiex Newbie

Reputations:
    Any one with LIF/ZIF connection SSD out there changed their HDD to normal SATA connection and now have a SSD at a corner without use!?

I have... because I can't find any 1.8" HDD LIF to SATA 2.5" adaptor instead of this one at china and can't find another one with the same functions!
    1.8 24pin LIF macbook air SSD to SATA adapter with case - Sintech adapter card and test tool

It's a shame having a 128GB SSD without the hability to connect it to other PC!

Any idea guys!?

Thanks

4. TrackSmart

TrackSmart Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

I don't know which Hard Disk Caddy he used, but I used the model recommended in the various guides posted on the internet:

Ebay Description: NEW SATA 2nd HDD Hard Drive Caddy 9.5mm Universal DV22 (300558840432)
    Seller: ny-compu-tek

Current listing that looks similar: NEW SATA 2nd HDD Hard Drive Caddy 9.5mm Universal DV22 | eBay

Remember three things: 1) this will take some time, patience, and care if you don't want to break anything. 2) You will need to remove the top 'plate' on the caddy for it to fit and 3) you'll need to swap the plastic 'door cover' from your current DVD drive onto the new caddy.

I suggest you look up all of the threads on the Net that offer instructions on swapping in the HDD caddy. Do everything *carefully* and don't force anything as you remove and install parts.

Good luck.

5. flappo0

flappo0 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a Problem which occurs sometimes on startup. If I press the start button only the fan will start running quite loudly. I have to turn it off by pressing the start button, after that i can switch it on normally. What can be the cause of that?

6. Br41N

Br41N Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi there guys.

I have the laptop in the sig and I was wondering if I could replace de 4GB RAM for 16GB RAM. Will the memory controller handle it correctly? Will it worth it?

Thanks.

7. RunSilent23

RunSilent23 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I can't believe how much I still like my R705 after close to 2.5 years. When compared to the latest Ultrabooks, it still is competitive. With an Ultrabook, you would lose the full-powered chip and full slate of ports while the R705 still delivers great performance with similar weight and battery life. The only thing I wish it had is a back-lit keyboard. Are there others who are still as content as I am?

8. TrackSmart

TrackSmart Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

It's funny, I've gotten two compliments on my "new" laptop in the past week. Mind you, this is my more than 2 year old Portege R705. I agree that it holds up pretty well to the ultra-book competition in terms of weight, performance, and battery life. If I didn't already have the R705, I might be tempted by the new ultrabooks for a two reasons:
    1) 1080p IPS displays (this is only true on a couple of models)
    2) Thinner form factor (not a huge deal, but its hard not to be impressed by the thinness)

So yeah, I've been pretty satisfied and have no reason to replace the R705 anytime soon. My main gripe with the R705 is that the screen is pretty poor (low resolution, low contrast, muted colors, narrow viewing angles). And my big gripe with ultrabooks is that they are not upgradeable - at all - since the RAM is soldered to the motherboard and the SSD is often a proprietary form factor than cannot be exchanged for higher capacity models down the line. For instance it is not possible to get an Asus Zenbook, which has a beautiful 1080p display, with more than 4GB of RAM. And you can never upgrade it.

9. eljusticiero67

eljusticiero67 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Had my laptop for 2.5 years now; still going strong. Even though the flimsy screen has caused me much consternation (hinge broke 2X) I have been pretty happy with the laptop otherwise.

Has anyone had any experience with buying aftermarket/ 3rd party replacement batteries with the portege? I want to buy a 9-cell to improve on my current 3.25hr battery life (with 25% wear). I suspect the OEM battery would give approximately 6.5 hrs battery life which would be awesome, but at $130 it is quite an expensive upgrade for a laptop that is 2.5 years old. I found the following replacements that may be adequate:

Buy.com - Toshiba PA3833U-1BRS 9 cell, 8400mAh Replacement Laptop Battery with FREE Headphone Splitter (no-name but 8400mah, 1yr warranty, and seller seems reputable)

Toshiba Portege R700 Laptop Battery (duracell named, 7800mah (900mah less than toshiba OEM)-- pretty expensive still though).

10. strfr

strfr Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey! Anyone? I am facing the same problem..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.