Toshiba R700 / R705 /R630 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by meboy, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrackSmart

TrackSmart Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

I have the R705, which I believe is identical to the R630.

1) These computers have a "sleep and charge" feature activated by default. It lets you charge devices over USB when the laptop is 'off'. However, I find that the battery drains a bit faster with this feature enabled. Turn it off if you don't use it. Second, the default power management settings have the laptop *never* go into hibernation, so the computer will continue to lose power in sleep mode, rather than conserving power by hibernating. Turn "sleep-and-charge" off and enable hibernation (say after 2 hrs) and the battery will drain at the same rate as any normal laptop.

2) I've never timed it, but it takes a long time to go from empty to 100% battery charge. I'd guess about 4 hours (about 25% recharge per hour). That's just a rough guess...

3) I haven't had a problem with this, but I don't use the laptop daily. I mostly use it for travel and giving presentations. So not so much wear-and-tear.

4) I replaced the DVD with a hard disk. My setup: Solid State Drive (SSD) in the main hard disk location. Original 500GB hard disk in the optical drive slot. It's not easy to do the swap, but it can be done with some patience. Here's a link on this topic: Toshiba Support Forums: Portege R700 - Replace DVD unit with ...

And another link: http://forum.notebookreview.com/tos...al-drive-bay-portege-r835-p56x-hdd-caddy.html

My main concern with these laptops is 1) the low-quality screen (narrow viewing angles and poor contrast ratio) and 2) the constant 'whine' from the fan. It's not loud, but it is clearly audible in any quiet situation, which can be a bit annoying. Otherwise they are decent laptops and a good value for an ultraportable. Just my two cents.

2. joseignaciobp

joseignaciobp Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    has somebody a gelaskin on this laptop?

3. oldy

oldy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i have a gelaskin on r700 and loving it. Is somewhat tricky on the edges coz they are curved but overall it works great.

4. joseignaciobp

Reputations:
    thank you!
    where did yo buy it?

5. grendude

grendude Newbie

Reputations:

I'm trying this: 2nd HDD SSD Hard Drive Caddy For IBM ThinkPad x300 x301 DVD-ROM 7mm Optical Bay | eBay
    2nd HDD SSD Hard Drive Caddy For IBM ThinkPad x300 x301 DVD-ROM 7mm Optical Bay

It fits perfectly but I can't get the bios / windows 7 to recognize it.
    Plus, boot time just jumped by 30+ seconds.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

What did you use to install a second hdd in your r705?
    I had to go with a 7mm drive.
    But, I can't get it to recognize in the bios. In windows 7 I get a driver error.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

6. TrackSmart

TrackSmart Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    1) Did you follow these instructions? I got the Caddy they mentioned and it installed just fine. You have to remove the top cover of the caddy which allows more space for a normal sized HDD or SSD. And you can replace the plastic side piece (the DVD 'door' cover) with the one from your own DVD drive. It works fine, but there's some labor involved:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/tos...al-drive-bay-portege-r835-p56x-hdd-caddy.html

2) You should install the primary boot drive (i.e. the SSD) into the place where the original hard drive is located. The BIOS on the laptop thinks that the optical drive bay is still an optical drive (it lists it as an optical drive, even when and SSD or HDD is there and offers to let you eject it in Windows). It's better to put the primary boot drive in the place where the original hard disk sits. I can't guarantee that will fix your issues, but hopefully that will help.

3) It's also possible the SSD has issues. A surprisingly high proportion of SSDs are either dead on arrival or have firmware issues that cause problems with specific laptop hardware. I couldn't use any original SandForce based drives to work properly in my R705 (OCZ Vertex 2; Corsair Force; Microcenter SSD with SF 1200 controller). I went with a Crucial C300 and it has been rock solid. I recommend Intel or Crucial (non-SandForce) SSDs for these laptops. The SandForce drives have some compatibility issues with our hardware.

7. amisha

amisha Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all ,

i searched the web for some info for changing my HDD to SSD , and i came to conclusion that , sand-force based SSD are NOT recommended for the R700 .

does some one have the crucial M4 ( or the micron C400 ) ?

second thing ,
    did anybody switch his keyboard for the a one with a back-light ?

thanks a lot !

8. grendude

grendude Newbie

Reputations:

Hi, thanks for getting back to me.
    I did follow the instructions and my ssd works fine in the primary slot.
    But, my DVD is PATA (usb) so I had to get a different Caddy:
    Take a look at the photos to see how it's different:
    2nd HDD SSD Hard Drive Caddy For IBM ThinkPad x300 x301 DVD-ROM 7mm Optical Bay | eBay

I still can't get it to work.
    Please help!

Attached Files:

9. grendude

grendude Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a r705-p25 without a port replicator.
    Can someone help me locate the esata pins so that I can solder in a 2nd hd.
    A photo would be wonderful.
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

10. joseignaciobp

Reputations:
    Hi!

Does anyone installed W 8 in his laptop?
    I did, but I'm having some issues with drivers. I can't turn off the optical drive...

For now, that's the only problem so far.

(sorry about my bad english)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.