Toshiba R700 / R705 /R630 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by meboy, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meboy

meboy Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  2. meboy

meboy Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I just got mine the other day and and am very happy with it.

I did a double take when I was handed the box. This thing is light.

The body of the notebook is a nice black brushed sort of look that does a good gob of not showing fingers and gives it a nice sophisticated look.

I think the keyboard is great. The keys are feel like an extremely hard plastic with an action that's very similar to the apple aluminum keyboard. I almost like the Toshiba's action better. The apple springs back a little more.

The trackpad is very good and multi-touch works as intended. I tweaked the settings a little for the PalmCheck, moving it one to the right. I also added one more Tap Zone for middle click.
    There are tons of other settings in the Synaptics that I haven't played with yet.
    The left and right trackpad buttons are a little stiff but still better than a lot of others I've tried. Most users will probably have a mouse for prolonged use so no biggie.

The screen is just about what I thought it would be. It's not a Macbook pro or Sony Z but the machine also doesn't cost what those cost.

I did some tweaking and am now much happier with it.
    If you want to try my settings here's what I did.
    Under Intel HD Graphics icon go to Graphics Properties>Display>Color Enhancement

Brightness: 0
    Contrast: 49
    Gamma: 0.9
    Hue: 0
    Saturation: 5

The contrast and gamma settings get the monitor as close as I could get to the 2.0 sweet spot and showing good black and white.
    The saturation is technically above accurate I'm sure but it does look better without going overboard. You can play around with saturation but I found 4-5 best.

The audio was pretty awful at first. I could tell that an equalizer was needed just to make things livable. I went into Realtek HD Audio Manager and under the Sound Effects tab, selected Party and then backed down the top two frequencies on notch each. This is a big improvement but could be tweaked further.

I'm using tweaked windows power settings instead of the eco utility.
    In the bios I found the settings that the eco utility is changing and tweaked them myself. It now runs full time in a user setting eco mode.
    If anyone wants to know more about where this is or what my settings are, just ask.

For Battery it looks like I'm going to be getting at least 4 hours with regular use.
    I think 5 hours is doable with just office tasks and screen brightness a little lower.

Overall I'm very happy with it no complaints at all.

3. PhillyBen

PhillyBen Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm going to repost this from the longer thread to see whether I can get any responses here. The Desktop Hardware (monitor) forum seems to have little activity.

Can anyone recommend an external monitor for use with the r700? At work I have a 27" iMac (I mostly run Windows on it) and I love being able to view 2 documents at once. I don't know anything about the 16:9 vs. 16:10 debate or other resolutions (720, 1080, 1200) but I do know that I'd like something 25" or bigger. I was thinking about the Asus VE27q b/c it doesn't have the annoying speaker grille that some of the other Asus models does. I don't want to spend more than $350.

Oh, and as I've said before, I'm not a gamer.

Any thoughts on this, based on your knowledge of the r700s? With its 16:9 ratio, will I need a 16:9 monitor (as opposed to 16:10) to be able to get my screen to expand all the way to the sides of the monitor?

4. Nelson1

Nelson1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Very enlightening write-up meboy...thanks.

5. Oscar2

Oscar2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I use an Asus 25" 1920x1200 monitor (vw266 i think) and it's great. You have to look around a bit for the 1200 line monitors (most are 1920x1080 nowadays) but it's worth holding out for the additional vertical resolution.

6. outnumbered

outnumbered Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey everyone. I'm back from my first roadtrip with my r700. It has served me extremely well. But I have to ask again (and I hate to do so on the first page of this thread) -- am I the only person who hears a high-pitched whine in the fan? Like, dog-whistle high. It's just the right pitch so that, even if it's really quiet, it's really annoying. If this is only me, then I will definitely trade it in for a new one, because otherwise this computer is amazing.

7. mishkaya

mishkaya Newbie

Reputations:
    I guess I will add my post to the thread. I have an R700-1320 with which I am very pleased. It was decent out of the box, but is even nicer with some faster Ram and an SSD. :D
    To answer outnumbered's question, I do not hear a high pitched whine from the fan on my unit, but I certainly did on my older Lenovo unit. I think it's a hit and miss type of thing...

8. Nelson1

Nelson1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've read a number of posts in different forums and there seems to be a very different response from various folks on the fan sound. Here's my input.

My fan makes a 'fan noise' but not anything that is high pitched or irritating. When I first turned the R700 on I heard the fan and thought 'wow...I hear the fan'. Then I had the R700 on at the same time as my older Satellite R25-S3513 and I realized that the older unit made more noise and that had never been an issue. Just like the older unit the R700 fan noise has now drifted into the background and is a non-issue. With all of that said there may be some units with a high pitched squeal and they should be fixed or returned.

On a separate sound issue my R700 has an SSD so I have not had any HDD sound issues that others have reported.

9. PhillyBen

PhillyBen Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Oscar, thanks so much for responding. I've been looking at the model that you have, b/c with rebates it's available for about $240 and it doesn't have the silly flowery speaker grille that some Asus models do.

Interestingly, your VW266H has a 16:10 ratio and 1920x1200 resolution, whereas the more expensive VE27Q has a 16:9 ratio and 1920 x 1080 resolution.

Is it your opinion that 16:10 and 1920x1200 are preferable to 16:9 and 1920x1080 even for a computer such as the Portege r700, which (I think) has a 16:9 ratio on its screen? If so, I would probably go with the model that you have.

10. cjb169

cjb169 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Can't say I have that on my R705, though my XPS 16 has it from time to time...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.