1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Toshiba Portege Z835 Review: The Best Ultrabook Discussion

Discussion in 'Notebook News and Reviews' started by Charles P. Jefferies, Nov 15, 2011.

1. weinter

weinter /dev/null

Reputations:
    That is a very weak reasoning to defend your stand because reviewers opinion doesn't reflect the views of people who do real work on it.
    If you do real development work on computers the lack of ports really affects how you work.
    Ports are not there to make the laptop look ugly, it is to attach devices for working.

2. Phil

Phil Retired

Reputations:
    OK so my reasoning is weak and Anand Shimpi doesn't do real work on his computers. Interesting.

I'll agree with you though that for people who need a lot of ports the Air would be a horrible choice.

3. Pseudorandom

Pseudorandom Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ultrabooks don't exist in a vacuum. If we only compare ultrabooks to ultrabooks, yes the MBA would probably come out on top, but ultrabooks compete with high end netbooks (HP dm1, Thinkpad X120e), high end thin laptops (VAIO Z, Fujitsu SH771), and traditional ultraportables (Thinkpad X220, Toshiba R830).

The Z830/Z835 is actually the most portable of the 13 inch ultrabooks.

4. Phil

Phil Retired

Reputations:
    No they don't and my post was a reply to the phrase "Best Ultrabook". A phrase that can stir a lot of discussion as we can all see.

5. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    I think one of the keys to the MBA 13's success is that Apple isn't cutting corners to make a $999 price point. Sure, they offer an 11" model with a tiny SSD that costs $999, but the MacBook Air 13 ranges from $1300 to $1600. There's no $999 MacBook Air 13 for a reason. On the other hand, the 13" ultrabooks are all trying to reach that magic $999 price point, and a significant amount of corner cutting (whether it be cheap keyboards, no backlighting, cheap screen, heavy weight, flimsier case, etc) must be made in order to make a 13" ultrabook cost 25%-40% less than a MacBook Air 13. Every ultrabook cuts a different set of corners, so maybe someone can find one where they don't care about the corners that were cut, but every single one inevitably cuts serious corners to meet that magic $999 price point.

6. BigNerd

BigNerd Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Even at $1300 (the lowest MBA 13")... seems like PC makers are having issues with building a similar ultrabook.

Only 2 of the 4 currently out are priced below $999... so why aren't they able to match Apple?

In my opinion, the myth of the Apple Tax is a bit overblown.

7. Pseudorandom

Pseudorandom Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There a few reasons to get an ultrabook other than style. I would argue a lot of things like value, ergonomics, etc matter significantly less, since if they mattered, you would be looking for a traditional ultraportable and not an ultrabook.

From this thought that style matters over all else for ultrabooks, I think that the MacBook Air and the IdeaPad U300s are the best ultrabooks. The MacBook Air looks better than all the MBA lookalikes, and the U300s has a unique styling of its own.

From a functionality and value standpoint I completely agree with the review that the Z830 is the best ultrabook.

8. Phil

Phil Retired

Reputations:
  9. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    I think there's something to the "Apple Tax" with the MBP line, which are very well-made machines, but even so, more expensive than I would expect. But I think the MacBook Air, iMac, and iPad are very reasonably priced for what they offer.

10. flyingsilverfin

flyingsilverfin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey this looks like my still functioning toshiba r200... even the # ports in the back (minus modem :p) top view's almost the same haha