1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Toshiba Portege Z835 Review: The Best Ultrabook Discussion

Discussion in 'Notebook News and Reviews' started by Charles P. Jefferies, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:

This $899 Best Buy exclusive features a 13.3-inch display, 128GB solid state drive, backlit keyboard and six hours of battery life. Read our take to find out what makes this Ultrabook really impressive.

<br /><br />Read the full content of this Article: <strong><a href='http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=6314&review=toshiba+portege+z830+z835+ultrabook'>Toshiba Portege Z835 Review: The Best Ultrabook</a></strong><br /><br />Related Articles:
    • <a href='http://www.NotebookReview.com/default.asp?newsID=6307'>Toshiba Satellite L755 Review: Basic Home Essentials</a>
    • <a href='http://www.NotebookReview.com/default.asp?newsID=6286'>Toshiba Satellite L735-S3220RD Review: A Good Deal on a Budget Laptop?</a>
    • <a href='http://www.NotebookReview.com/default.asp?newsID=6265'>IDF2011: Toshiba Z830 Ultrabook Hands On Preview</a>
    • <a href='http://www.NotebookReview.com/default.asp?newsID=6248'>Toshiba Portege Z830 Ultrabook Unveiled</a>
    • <a href='http://www.NotebookReview.com/default.asp?newsID=6229'>Toshiba Qosmio X775 Review</a>

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2015 at 10:48 PM
  2. PinoyBoy

PinoyBoy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Very good review. Sadly, I expected too much; maybe it's because it's the watered down bestbuy version.

If that is $899.99... I wonder how much would this configuration be?
    - atleast a core i5
    - 256gb SSD
    - fingerprint reader

3. alexUW

alexUW Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Great review Charles!!! I know you put a lot of time and effort into it.
    Still disappointed by the slow SSD and NON-matte screen; maybe the screen is a Best Buy thing?

**EDIT**
    Not sure if it's relevant, but BestBuy has the z835 listed as $799; review says $899.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+Port%26%23233%3Bg%26%23233%3B+Ultrabook+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i3+Processor+/+13.3%22+Display+/+4GB+Memory+-+Silver/3868228.p?id=1218437467260&skuId=3868228&st=z835&cp=1&lp=1

4. downloads

downloads Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    For $799 I can live with an SSD that breaks no records but glossy LCD is really pushing it. Other than that it seems a great value.

5. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Good review. Still, though, the UX31 looks like a far more attractive ultrabook (granted, it's quite a bit more expensive). And if one were willing to give up thinness, the X220 would fall below this price point and provide a much more attractive overall package.

On a side note, if this laptop only got 3 stars, how'd it also get Editors' Choice? :p

6. Pseudorandom

Pseudorandom Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The Best Buy version seems to have a huge discount compared to the better versions. Or is ToshibaDirect just being expensive and we should expect cheaper prices elsewhere.

I don't think that the UX31 presents and overall better package. Actually, I personally would take the X220 over all the 13" ultrabooks instantly except this one. The main thing that it has going for it compared to the others is the 2.4lb weight and the ports imho. Its nearly a full pound lighter than the X220, still has ethernet and VGA ports and useful stuff (no ExpressCard or docking connector though).

7. Jerry Jackson

Jerry Jackson Administrator

Reputations:
    I'm with Pseudorandom on this one.

Although I'm not a huge fan of Ultrabooks, I like the Z830/Z835 ... mainly because of the ports. I like thin and light laptops as much as the next person, but if you get rid of the ports you get rid of some of the reasons to use a Windows PC instead of an iPad.

On the other hand, if it gets much thicker/heavier then you might as well buy a X220.

8. Charles P. Jefferies

Reputations:
    I liked the ASUS UX31 but would also choose the Z835. It's cheaper, has the full-sized ports (biggie ... UX31 has a "mini-VGA" and "mini-HDMI", and only a converter cable for the former is provided), has a keyboard that works better, is backlit, and has a nicer layout, and the Z835 is lighter.

Edit: and although I like the Z835, these Ultrabooks are simply not robust enough to depend on as a primary machine in this author's opinion. Get an X220 if you want that.

9. makryger

makryger Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the review Charles. For the record, the SSD and RAM are both upgradeable, without affecting warranty. Yes, you have to undo a whole lot more screws on the back, but it is possible. Also, the wireless card should theoretically also be upgradable, if someone needs Bluetooth, although I'm not sure how easy it will be to access. If you take Best Buy's online price, then the $799 makes for a very impressive price-to-functionality ratio, and I think it makes this a worthwhile purchase.

10. Dreamycreamy

Dreamycreamy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I like the colour :D

11. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Toshiba Z835 vs Lenovo X220: price-to-functionality ratio

Microsoft store are selling a 160GB SSD equipped 1.45kgs (3.2lbs) 12.5" Lenovo X220 with 8GB of RAM for $800 (-$100 credit for future purchases). Microsoft Store Online - Lenovo ThinkPad X220 .

A X220 has one of the highest price-to-functionality ratio if compared to any ultrabook. Consider it is more robust, has bluetooth, swappable 6/9 cell hi-capacity battery, is internal WWAN/3G and mSATA SSD + 2.5" capable, has a more powerful full powered CPU and an expresscard slot so can add a ~$200 GTX460-768MB DIY eGPU to make it a gaming box. Full powered CPUs can run at a lower performance setting using Throttlestop and core parking, mimicking misery ULV CPU power consumption as detailed.

Supposedly Acer and Asus will add Thunderbolt ports to their systems in 2012 so they, like the 2011 Macbook Air, will be able to have faster Thunderbolt-based eGPU attached. Thunderbolt enclosures are estimated to start at US$400 without the video card, so will be considerably more pricey than an expresscard-based DIY eGPU.

See the thin-and-light link in my sig for a comparison by weight of the X220 vs other ultrabooks/ultraportables.

12. Karamazovmm

Karamazovmm Overthinking? Always!

Reputations:
    that x220 makes me want to live in the US and sell my mbp

13. makryger

makryger Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can't argue there... of course, I was moreso referring to the ultrabook category in general, which tends to be higher priced that other options. I'm personally willing to accept some cut corners for the lighter weight and smaller volume.

14. SoundsGood

SoundsGood Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Just to clarify... did you mean to say R835 or Z835 ?

15. lilydreamy

lilydreamy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    wow. x220 is very tempting..

will other retailers sell z835 ? preferably amazon.com?

I hope....

16. Charles P. Jefferies

Reputations:
    Yes, $799 is a great price for the Z835. It was originally planned for an $899 price. I would not spend more than $800-900 for this product simply because I don't think it's worth that. Too many compromises.

Good to know that the machine can be upgraded, but you're still restricted to mSATA (presumably) SSDs - those are limited right now and cost a pretty penny.

For lightweight computing - e.g. non-essential things - the Ultrabook is a pretty solid solution. It's a decent alternative to a tablet as well, depending on your uses.

17. BigNerd

BigNerd Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Great review... not sure if you mentioned that Lenovo and Toshiba are the only 2 ubooks that support WiDi.

I want the Z830 with the UX31 screen... I'm sure someone here can make that happen.

18. Phil

Phil Retired

Reputations:
    Nice review of a nice laptop.

"Best Ultrabook"? Well that title is at least missing a question mark in my opinion. Especially after looking at Anandtech's screen measurements.

The one thing all these Ultrabooks prove is that the Macbook Air is a great product. Maybe the next generation Ultrabooks will actually beat the Air.

And yeah if I didn't care about looks the Lenovo X220 with IPS screen would be my top pick.

19. brian5

brian5 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @ Charles

Thanks for your review! I was waiting to see what the HP Folio looked like but I think the Toshiba Z830 (not Z835) is my current top choice. The Z380 has the matte screen (and faster processor and more memory and costs more :) ).

My question for you is regarding the fan. You did not not identify that as a "Con". Did you not find the constant fan noise a problem? I'm trying to determine if that's a deal-breaker for me as I work a lot in a quiet home office.

Thanks

20. SoundsGood

SoundsGood Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    True. Too bad they don't make a Windows machine (with a Windows keyboard).

Fingers crossed...