Toshiba laptop that will not turn on.

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by Thomo2106, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Thomo2106

Thomo2106 Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a laptop that is about 8 years old that has had hardly any work at all. It has been lying dormant for a couple of years. I set it up to use just the other day and it would not turn on. Both batteries would not charge.

I took it to my local repair computer shop and he said it was no good as it would not operate. I can't believe in this day and age a laptop could not be taken apart and repaired. I would appreciate your help.

Regards
    Thomo2106

2. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Remove the laptop's battery (if possible) and plug in the power adapter. If the laptop doesn't turn on at that point, there could be a number of causes. The CMOS battery on the motherboard could be one; you might look into replacing that. It should be inexpensive.

There could also be a physical issue with the notebook. If it was exposed to moisture or high humidity, the internal components could have corroded over time.

Generally speaking, though, your repair shop is correct that laptops are less repairable than ever. Replacing parts is sometimes the only solution. If you're that interested in getting this notebook working, you might look on eBay for the same model laptop that you can use as a parts source. The laptop really isn't worth anything given its age.

Charles