1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Toshiba budget notebooks

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Gayboyworgen, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Gayboyworgen

Gayboyworgen Notebook Enthusiast

I was wondering about this but over the two models listed which is overall the best budget notebook?

Toshiba C55-A5104

Toshiba C55D-A5304

2. Zero000

Zero000 Notebook Deity

3. Gayboyworgen

I don't want older stuff so it has to be new ones. Also I' am in a tight budget.

Anyways how about these two which is better.

ASUS X551CA-HCL1201L

Toshiba C55-A5104

4. Zero000

Zero000 Notebook Deity

The ASUS X551CA-HCL1201L has a faster CPU.

5. Gayboyworgen

Really? But it said it had over 2gHz speed and the Asus one has only 1.5gHz. Are you sure the Asus is faster?

6. Zero000

Zero000 Notebook Deity

The architectures are not the same. You can't use that comparison unless you are talking about the same architecture.

These links give a better explanation why:
    Intel Celeron N2820 Notebook Processor - NotebookCheck.net Tech
    Intel Celeron 1007U Notebook Processor - NotebookCheck.net Tech

FYI , a laptop from five years ago can be faster (overall) than the ones that you are considering.

7. Gayboyworgen

Also another thing is which has best battery life? Does the Asus one have a good lasting battery as the Toshiba ones?

8. Zero000

Zero000 Notebook Deity

The Toshiba C55-A5104 should have better battery life in theory. It was made to be more power efficient and slower.

9. Gayboyworgen

Oh ok well if I was comparing the Toshiba C55-A5104 and the Toshiba C55D-A5304 which would have best battery life? Thank you for helping me btw.

Do both Toshiba notebooks have same battery life? Both intel and amd?

10. raptir

raptir Notebook Deity

11. Jarhead

Jarhead Luigi #1

OP, you should really fill out the sticky that raptir links to. We can't give you any meaningful advice without knowing a bit about your budget, wants/needs, etc.

My two cents though, I bought a budget Toshiba Satellite a few years ago (L505) and that thing died a silent death on me after only a measly two years of average use. I personally wouldn't buy another one.

12. Zero000

Zero000 Notebook Deity

Toshiba has really went downhill. They used to make good computers many years ago.

If you could only choose from those two notebooks , I would say get the one with the Intel CPU.

They should have around the same battery life depending on what you are doing but I'd advise you to fill out the form that raptir was talking about.

Battery life depends on various factors such as how much you are stressing the GPU , CPU , HDD , etc.

13. Jobine

Jobine Notebook Prophet

I always recalled them as being bottom of the barrel. They have a few decent models in the high end, Qosmio X70, Tecra W50 and Kirabook, but none are really impressive compared to some of the alternatives from the competition. Also their tech support is pretty awful in my experiences.

My 2 cents, feel free to disagree.

14. Zero000

Zero000 Notebook Deity

OP , when you are looking to buy a laptop there are many factors to keep into account. If your budget is extremely low , there is only so much I can do.

I did find a laptop cheaper than what you were looking at but I can't give you a detailed analysis of it.
    ASUS X401A-BCL0705Y 14" 4GB

15. Gayboyworgen

Well I did goto best buy and get the intel one. But Are you sure that the intel one has better battery life than amd? Also are you sure that the intel one has better battery life and is faster? If so why is amd slower.

16. Jobine

Jobine Notebook Prophet

AMD is like 3+ years behind Intel in the CPU department, only their GPU's are better than Intel.

AMD's single core performance is comparable to the Core 2 Duo (2006-2009) era, and their Multicore performance is nothing to dream of, the top of the line A10-5750M only matches a lowly Haswell i3 in CPU performance, let alone Intel's improved power consumption.

If you think i am fanboying Intel, i can show you relevant data to back up my claims.

17. Zero000

Zero000 Notebook Deity

The battery life should be similar for two notebooks that use netbook grade CPUs.
    You should realize that I can't give you an exact figure since battery life depends a variety of factors. I can only give you an approximate answer.

Software tends to run better on Intel CPUs for more than one reason. From my experience , more things are optimized for Intel CPUs.
    Since software is not optimized for AMD CPUs, in most cases , AMD CPUs will seem slower.

Some people will say that the architecture that AMD uses is not as good as what Intel uses but I never looked thoroughly into that.

18. Jarhead

Jarhead Luigi #1

Not to start an Intel/AMD war (which would likely close the thread), but I haven't felt much difference CPU-wise between most of my computers. The FX-6300 and i7-2720QM feel the same to me and I don't notice much difference between those and the G630 either. Only with the C2D L7500 do I feel I'm somewhat CPU limited (and that system has a SSD, so it's definitely not I/O related). However, that's also a very, very old CPU...

Assuming that OP is only performing very basic, non-demanding tasks (I'd imagine so, considering the laptops mentioned), then the performance differences between AMD and Intel are for all intensive purposes irrelevant.

19. Gayboyworgen

Well if you compared the amd e1-2100 and intel n2820 is the intel one really better? The amd one is still new compared to the other e series like e-300 or so.

Also I play older games or games like wow or the sims 2,3 so maybe amd will be better since the video card is better. The amd has ati radeon hd 8210 so I assumed it's better than intel hd. But you guys said intel is better so that's why I got the intel one.

20. Jarhead

Jarhead Luigi #1

Newness doesn't really have a factor in performance. For an extreme example, the E1-2100 is newer than the G630, but the G630 still outperforms it.

To answer your question though, I doubt the differences really matter for what I'm assuming you're doing with the notebook. Really, the most important spec for most everyone would be the display resolution, and none of the laptops mentioned have anything good (they're all 768p junk). For the money you're looking at, you would have gotten a better display through a used or refurbished laptop. My X61t, ~7yo, has a better display than any of the mentioned laptops (12.1", 1400x1050), and that was bought within the same budget range as the other laptops too. Only major downside to it is the battery life, though it's old tech, what are you gonna do? :rolleyes:

Tmets likes this.