1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Toshiba AMD Quad or i3? Which is better?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by ikarah, Jul 23, 2011.

1. ikarah

ikarah Notebook Consultant

2. Leoben

Leoben Cylon

3. Altered Phoenix

Altered Phoenix Notebook Evangelist

Well the only difference seems to be the CPU, GPU, HDD, and battery life.
    The 5214 has the worse CPU and GPU which leads to the better battery life (By an estimated 0.55 hours). And it has the larger HDD.

The 5218 will perform better but has the more limited memory (granted, an external hard drive is very cheap these days). Also you lose 33 minutes of battery life.

Personally between the two I say the 5218 is the better one, especially for only $7 more.

Edit:
    Here is a link to a CPU comparison:
    http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/723/AMD_A6-Series_for_Notebooks_A6-3400M_vs_Intel_Core_i3_Mobile_i3-2310M_%28PGA%29.html

4. ikarah

what if i upgrade to an i5 will the AMD still be better?

5. Leoben

Leoben Cylon

6. ikarah

Alrighty then thanks a billion ! =]

7. Bill Nye

Bill Nye Know Nothing

i3 would be faster. i5 wouldn't even be on the same wavelength. You're almost twice as efficient on a per clock basis that the two extra cores won't even make up the gap in heavily multi-threaded apps.

The fastest AMD Llano DESKTOP CPU is only as fast as the lower end first gen MOBILE i7s.

8. ikarah

hmm ok so i3 or amd? The dude above mention the amd is better bargain...Your saying the i3 is?

9. Bill Nye

Bill Nye Know Nothing

No, he said AMD has the better on-board GPU chip.

10. Leoben

Leoben Cylon

Benchmarks please. (Preferably done by someone other than Intel.)

11. Altered Phoenix

When you say i5 wouldn't be on the same wavelength, do you mean it is waaay better or are you saying it is waaaay worse?

12. Altered Phoenix

13. Leoben

Leoben Cylon

Thank you Altered Phoenix. (I'd +rep you but apparently I can't at the moment.)

So by passmark, the AMD A6-3400M quad core is considerably better than the i3 dual core and slightly better than the i5 dual core.

I doubt the AMD A6-3400M would stand up against an i7, but we aren't comparing it to one.

14. Altered Phoenix

Nope but for the price of this laptop, that is a really nice cpu!

15. Bill Nye

Bill Nye Know Nothing

AMD is cited to be similar to Core 2s/quads. This can't be news to you.

SB is like 50% faster (more efficient?) than Core 2s per clock.

Stop citing Passmark. They're terrible. Don't they have the 6770m listed as being twice as fast as the GTX 460m?

EDIT:

2.5 ghz i5 vs C2D

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i5-2540M-Notebook-Processor.40106.0.html
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-2-Duo-T9500-Notebook-Processor.25704.0.html

Cinebench R10: Rendering Multiple CPUs 32Bit

T9500 - 5441

2540M - 9127.8

64-bit 2540M - 11010.3

50% more efficient, 25% turbo, sounds about right.

EDIT2: The Llano thing:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-A8-3850-The-fastest-Llano-desktop-in-review.57650.0.html

Keep in mind this is a desktop processor, yet it's only really comparable to notebooks.

And that's an A8 in question. We're talking about an A6. Yeah, but no. I think the entry level i5-2410m "might" be comparable to the top of the line A8-3850MX, but that's about it. That's what I mean by not on the same wavelength.

EDIT3: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4444/amd-llano-notebook-review-a-series-fusion-apu-a8-3500m/9

A8-3500m:

Single - 2037

i5-2410m:

Single - 4495

C2D T8100:

Single - 2310 (32-bit, so score is lower than 64-bit tests from the previous)

16. npaladin2000

npaladin2000 LOAD "*",8,1

If you want to play games, buy the AMD. If you absolutely will never ever need to play any 3D games on it...buy the AMD anyway. The Core i3 doesn't stand a chance since it has no TurboBoost. An i5 on the other hand...

17. Altered Phoenix

No..... 6770 Ranked as 1454, 460m Ranked as 1208....

Edit: That is place 73 vs place 58.
    Anyway you look at it, it is not twice as fast...

18. Leoben

Leoben Cylon

Benchmarks and additional features. I don't do arbitrary comparisons.

Then provide something you claim is better.

Your missing something very, very important - a benchmark for the AMD A6. Without that any comparison is useless.

19. Bill Nye

Bill Nye Know Nothing

Edited with comparison to an A8. The AMD's "advantage" is in the two extra cores, but even in multi-threaded benchmarks, it's 50% slower than the 2520m.

If we step down from the A8 to an A6, that would only increase. But then again, the comparison is with an 2410m, which should bring us back to square one - A6 and the i5-2410m are not on the same wavelength.

@altered phoenix: That's terrible still. The 460m is 30-35% faster than the 6770m. They have it listed at a 15% skew the other way. That's over a 50% discrepancy from real world tests... that's HORRIBLE for a synthetic benchmark.

20. Leoben

Leoben Cylon

OK, step in the right direction.

One benchmark is actual mentioned in the article. In this one benchmark the desktop A8 is found to be worse than a mobile i3 at a single threaded task. It wouldn't be far fetched to suggest that the laptop A6 would also be worse in this one single threaded benchmark than the same mobile i3.

This is only one single threaded benchmark however. Judging a quad core by single core performance seems rather unfair, that's not what the chip was designed for.

There should be more benchmarks listed here (Mobile Processors - Benchmarklist - Notebookcheck.net Tech) but apparently notebookcheck is too lazy...