Toshiba A135-S2276 XP Upgrade Problems

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by chuck50dvdr, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chuck50dvdr

chuck50dvdr Newbie

Reputations:
    I bought a Toshiba A135-2276, pre-loaded with Vista. Installed XP Pro, then ran the drivers and applications from the backup disk. There are a number of devices that aren't running properly. From the device manager they include:

Ethernet Contoller
    SM Bus Controller
    Unknown Device
    Unknown Device
    Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

I assume one of the unknown devices is the Wireless Adapter, which isn't recognized. Toshiba customer support wasn't any help.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks

2. tripinva

tripinva Notebook Consultant NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    You'll probably need to run over to ATI's site and look for their chipset driver, and figure out where the Atheros wireless driver is at the very least. That should resolve your SM Bus, Video, and one Unknown Device, I'd assume. As far as the Ethernet goes, I'm not able to figure out which chip is in your system (it's not on the spec sheet) so I can't tell you for sure on that one.

See if that helps.

- Trip

3. IamNeo

IamNeo Newbie

Reputations:
    I am having the same problem with installing XP on the same model. I tried installing the right driver from ati's site but while installing, it gives me eror "Inf Video Error" followed by "setup display adapter with standard vga driver before starting the setup". Any idea what should I be doing? In my device manager, there is no tab corresponding to monitors and in my display settings, monitor type is set to default. Am I missing something?

4. yowisto

yowisto Newbie

Reputations:
    I am assuming you installed your own WinXP (not include by your laptop packaging) ?
    I suggest you go to Toshiba support web page and download the corresponding drivers that go with you serie of laptop.
    I was thinking these drivers that you need most:
    1. Video Card
    2. Sound Card
    3. WIFI LAN
    4. LAN

optional:
    5. Card Reader ?
    6. Firewire ?
    7. Infra Red ?
    ...what else...

Hope it helps

5. chuck50dvdr

chuck50dvdr Newbie

Reputations:
    Unfortunately Toshiba doesn't post XP drivers for these components on this laptop.

Has anyone successfully found them

6. grizzly

grizzly Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  7. yowisto

yowisto Newbie

Reputations:
    Yeah, I can not also find the drivers for A130 series.
    I think you should seek for individual components then.
    ATI from ATI websites
    the sounds card from their own manufacturer website.
    and so on

8. dougie85

dougie85 Newbie

Reputations:
    No, the driver above from Toshiba gets the same "video driver not found" error. Funnier yet, the X200M driver from ATI doesn't work at all. It says it can't find compatible hardware.

9. dougie85

dougie85 Newbie

Reputations:
    One piece of advice since I see you’re poking around in Device Manager. For the love of god don’t disable the device driver that is installed (vgasafe) like I did. It’s unrecoverable and you’ll have to reinstall XP again, like I did.

10. cheet0

cheet0 Newbie

Reputations:
    I have the same issue with a p105-s9337 I just purchased. The annoying part is the laptop has almost the exact same hardware as previous p105's (s9312) that came preloaded with xp, so Toshiba could easily fix this problem by posting those drivers for the s9337. I haven't fixed all of the driver problems yet, but almost all the hardware is working now in xp since I installed drivers posted for the s9312. Hope this helps. I am going to contact Toshiba and see what they say.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.