Tools! What do you have/prefer/want?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by hizzaah, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. visiom88

visiom88 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I just wish I have a garage for now. After then, I'd want an impact gun, a spanner, and a floor lift.

2. hizzaah

hizzaah Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yeah, I'd love to have my own garage to do what I want with.. I'm renting a house with a two car garage which is nice, but one of my roommates parks on the other spot with his giant Tahoe..

3. jsipe007

jsipe007 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Craftsman warranty used to be completely hassle free, bring in a broken tool and walk out with a new tool. I have returned many screwdrivers and wrenches that way. Unfortunately they are becoming a bit more strict (reportedly) but I still havent had a problem. Craftsman tools; however, have recently moved to China and the quality is just not the same. The metallurgy has changed and the tools are not robust like they used to be. I actually broke a 15mm craftsman wrench the other day (well technically not broke, but the box end flexed, increasing the distance between the size making it basically worthless). for tools now I usually turn to Lowes. Their Cobalt tools are made in Japan and the Danaher Company is the primary owner (Snap-on). I have found their hand tools to be much higher quality than the new Craftsman and even cheaper!

As for drills and cordless tools, DeWalt and Makita are my favorite. Both are strong and have plenty of power to get the job done

Harbor freight though is the absolute best budget tool company!!! Pittsburgh tools still has a no questions asked lifetime warranty as well!!

4. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    Yeah its just an 18V with a different battery/handle style. But they have Brushless motors in the '20V' but not in the 18V. I believe even the normal 18V tools will hit 20 volts when fully charged, but the voltage doesn't stay that high for very long.

5. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    What tools do I want? I want my old/new Mac Tools and Snap-On tool-set back. Had to sell it all after I got laid off. Lotsa sockets, ratchets, and wrenches in there. Along with my IR Impact wrenches, my voltmeter (which I didn't get back after being let go), and assorted Harbor Freight and husky screwdrivers and such. Now I get to use my Dad's tools, most of which have been beaten with hammers as if every tool he's got is a nail.

:( I miss my Mac Tools.

Some are, some aren't. Some 20v ones are overcharged 18v ones, others actually have one extra grid cell in the battery to give it the final 2V it needs to be a 20V. But I've only seen one of those, and it was some weird overseas brand my old COO got while vacationing in Scotland.

6. Thaenatos

Thaenatos Zero Cool

Reputations:
    When I was going to school at Ford Asset we had a 52% discount on Snap on, Matco, Mac, etc. I used all the brands in the labs and when I apprenticed and after the first year I decided to pay full price on craftsman. I catch ALOT of crap for it, but then again they are MY tools and after working in the industry for a while I still think I made the best choice. Now that I have been out of the automotive world for a while I can take a 5 minute drive and replace broken tools....which I havent had to do yet, rather then find a dealer and wait for the next time they are "around".

Lifetime warranty and easy replacement alone are good enough for me, but add in the fact that they are cheaper and feel better are just icing on the cake.

7. hizzaah

hizzaah Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I requested a tool set for Christmas. Apparently my mom originally got me this dinky Husky set from Home Depot first and my brother saw it, made her return it, and went and got me a 153 piece Craftsman set :D he's a pain in the butt most of the time, but he works with his hands every day and understands the need for good tools.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.