Tools! What do you have/prefer/want?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by hizzaah, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hizzaah

hizzaah Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'm thinking it's time to start investing in a few tools. Now ideally I'd go with Snap-On, but alas, I cannot afford them. This is what my uncle has and is what I used for most of my car projects until I moved away. I'm thinking a nice craftsman mechanics set and a one of their new bolt on 20v drills with a few attachments would put me in the right direction..

What tools do you guys keep in your garage? Anything new that you can't wait to get your hands on? Anything you dream of having one day?

2. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Spanners, extensions, ratchet AIO tools are nice. I buy Japanese cars so metric > standard. I buy alot of my tools from Harbor Freight, couple from Craftsman = $$$.

3. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    Craftsman is good, sometimes you can find them for pretty cheap too. I personally use Husky tools alot, yep the cheap ones. They are lifetime and honestly I've never had any issues with mine. Though on their biggest set the 'deep' sockets are only hexagon shape for about 3/8" where as craftsman is more, and something like Snap-On is even more than that.

4. hizzaah

Reputations:
    I've got a socket set from harbor freight. got it on sale for ~10 i think and it has done alright for the few times I've use it.. I saw recently that some model of harbor freight drill has been recalled for fire risk. I've twisted apart a handful of harbor fright sockets and a few husky sockets working on my car with snap-on wrenches though.

I'm hoping there will be some good after christmas sales on crafstman. Any of you ever exchanged broken craftsman hand tools at Sears before? how'd that go?

5. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Just go in and show your receipt and they will exchange it IIRC.

6. hizzaah

Reputations:
    Think I changed my mind on the Craftsman Bolt On to the Makita 18v brushless LXT line.

7. Qing Dao

Qing Dao LORD OF THE UNDERWORLD

Reputations:
    About half of my tools are craftsman, and half aren't. Although for electric tools, they are all Japanese except for Dremel.

My favorite tools of them all are Craftsman breaker bars. With a metal pipe over the largest's already lengthy dimensions, it can remove any axle nut with absolute ease. My second favorite is my Dremel. I was always using my dad's dremel, so instead of borrowing it from him all the time, I ponied up for a top of the line piece and zillions of extensions. I have used it more than anything else. My third favorite is my angle grinder, just because of it's power. It has cut through so much metal and produced so much metallic dust that I'm sure the EPA was watching me.

For craftsman I don't even think you need your receipt. I had a friend who worked at sears, and he said that people brought in really really old craftsman products every now and then.

8. hizzaah

Reputations:
    Yeah, I didn't think I needed a receipt for craftsman.. Maybe I'll start going by garage sales/estate sales and try to pick up some hand tools

9. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    That Makita is pretty good, I've got the old Makita that isn't brushless, and the one after it that was brushless but wasn't the LXT, and the LXT. Along with 3 different 18V models from Milwaukee, the 14.4V Hilti, 18V Dewalt, and a 18V Hitachi that sucks.

Right now I think the Makita LXT and Milwaukee Fuel are probably the top. Though I haven't tried Dewalts new 20V MAX Brushless, I'm pretty mad at them for switching the battery style and not giving the old 18V any brushless tools.

10. hizzaah

Reputations:
    Aren't the 20V just 18V packs that over charge? I know they're both 5 cell packs, 3.6v cells in an 18V, and in the 20V they charge up to 4V or something like that.. Apparently they did it as part marketing gimmick, part in order to "help" people to differentiate the new from the old 18V's. I saw the topic in a few places when I was researching the Makita's

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.