Tongfang GM7MP0P / P7P / PHP / Q8P / P5R / RFR / R0R

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by BrightSmith, Apr 30, 2020.

1. gieffe22

gieffe22 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    guys, quick answer... what's you battery score on cinebench r20 and unigine heaven with maxed settings and antialiasing? on my unit is very low, about 1000 points on r20 and 13 fps on heaven

2. Elie Roth

Elie Roth Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi man,
    I have the vyper 3 17 and recently the performance on battery took a big hit. I was getting over 2600 points in Cinebench r20 and now it's roughly 1000. I checked HWinfo64 and noticed that the power limits are now set to 35W at idle and as soon as use the system it drops down to 5W. Plugged in everything works fine though.
    I wiped the drives and did a fresh reinstall of windows but this did not help, maybe it's a windows update that somehow interferes with something ?
    I've requested a bios update from PSC, I'm probably getting it on Monday hopefully this resolves the issue. If not I will RMA the system.

1. What are your power limits on battery ? (I had 50W before if I remember correctly)
    2. Did you use intel XTU ?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  3. gieffe22

Reputations:
    exactly the reason why i asked here for someone to test... here to my system goes about 1000-1500 points on r20 on battery when in other review on similar laptop it seems to be at about 2000+ points... i noticed that it starts a 2.6ghz (that should be 35w correct gauge) and then drop to 0.8ghz with only 30% cpu load, don't know why. And i think that even gpu is screwed... 13 fps un unigine heaven (i was hoping to about 25 like my older rog with rtx 2070).

So, i think that's something odd with windows or latest bios we had...don't know.

4. Elie Roth

Elie Roth Newbie

Reputations:
    1. What are your power limits on battery ? (I had 50W before if I remember correctly)
    2. Did you use intel XTU ?

still waiting for the bios update from PCS

5. mrzzz

mrzzz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is there a way to disable IRST to be able to install ubuntu? Finally got my unit but can't install due to it

6. gieffe22

Reputations:
    1 35w (that's a good value to not kill battery when there's load) but i notice that cpu wattage go much lower (like 10w) when there's 100% load and load drops to 34% like it was limited from something.

2 no, i not have xtu, only uv from bios

7. Elie Roth

Elie Roth Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

thanks for your answer. I think the 50W was from an older bios.
    I've noticed that if you set the iGPU mode in the bios, the CPU works just fine.

Yeah under load the PL1 and PL2 throttle down to 5W for some reason... I'm trying hard to find the cause and XTU is on my suspect list.

1. So you never used Intel XTU at any point in time on your unit ?

2. Could you please restart your laptop, open HWiFO64 as soon as possible after boot, and check if the PL1 and PL2 are set to 45W and 135W for a few seconds before defaulting back to normal.

That would help a lot troubleshooting the issue.

Cheers

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  8. gieffe22

Reputations:
    1= no never used xtu, only throttlestop some weeks ago (but as you know is not a extensive programs on os, not like xtu)

2= i tried (on battery right?) but i was already 35w max

Anyway i have that feeling that the problem was the gpu load that push cpu to throttle heavily... maybe the new wddm that awake gpu to monitor in task manager the temperature wake gpu and our bios see like activity costrinct to loose performance...

9. Elie Roth

Elie Roth Newbie

Reputations:
    Yeah just delete the IRST drivers or don't install them after a clean windows reinstallation.

10. Elie Roth

Elie Roth Newbie

Reputations:
    ok great that means the problem is definably not coming from XTU.

Yes it's probably the dGPU then.

2: Could you try again plugged in please ? Sorry I forgot to mention it. On battery HWiNFO doesn't load fast enough, especially not with that lagging issue. Please also check the min and max values in case the current values updated before you could scroll down to check them.

thanks mate