TONGFANG GK7CN6S / GK7CP0S / GK7CP7S

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by sicily428, Oct 17, 2018.

1. TheUberMedic

TheUberMedic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Tis be sad times. Guess it's the 17" model I'll get...

2. Riktar

Riktar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Speaking from experience, i'd steer clear of the 17r4 and r5. Those things were veritable hot plates. it could barely cool my 7820hk with a 1080, that 8950hk is going to be throttling all over the place lol.

3. Pabbeni

Pabbeni Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've been gaming a lot on the laptop and my temps are good when under load (about 70C max when playing for hours). But my problem is that I noticed that my fans never run at max speed. The only time I ever hear the fans at max speed is when I open Gaming Center and I manually turn on the Turbo Mode fans under the Power Settings. My question is, should I turn on the Turbo Mode fans everytime I start up a game? Will doing this decrease the lifespan of my fans?

SlickDragon likes this.
  4. Master Stewie

Master Stewie Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It doesn't run on max because it is not needed. 70 degrees is not a problem for CPU or GPU, leave it on auto.

Installed64 likes this.
  5. ezradharma

ezradharma Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    AWs have been complete lemons for me, their QC is the worst, they admitted to flaws recently and still aren't owning up to them completely, there is a reason why the original owners of the Alienware brand left after Dell bought the brand.

That really depends on the QC of the manufacture that makes these fans, I think it would be at least 5 years till fans start failing at max speed unless you did some physical damage to them. I think the mechanical keyboard switches might go out first if your on the first version of the switches.

Any of you know which WiFi 6 Card could better? (btw Intel makes both of them this year, really down to the software and drivers)
    Killer AX1650 https://www.killernetworking.com/products/killer-ax1650/#1538447778233-e1eecaf7-ad85
    Intel AX200 https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/189347/intel-wi-fi-6-ax200.html

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    undervolter0x0309 likes this.
  6. Riktar

Riktar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I had killer in the past and that thing decided to work whenever it felt like it. uninstalling and reinstalling the killer drivers were a very common thing.

undervolter0x0309 likes this.
  7. jml235

jml235 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Will,
    I bought the Mech 15 G2 with RTX 2070 Max-Q that were on sale about a week ago, works like a dream, very happy first 24h. A minor issue I'm having is that the front LED bar doesn't light up at all. I tried reinstalling GameCenter, even without any GameCenter installed, the keyboard lights go to blue, but the front panel doesn't do anything, which makes me think it's unlikely to be related to GamingCenter software things. My hope is that it's just a hardware wire that became loose in transit and am thinking of opening it up to see if I spot a loose wire. I feel like i've read in the paperwork/online that opening up the back panel voids the warranty, and obvs don't want to do that 1d into having the laptop. To be honest, I was thinking of having the LED light off anyway because it doubles as a workstation for me so I really only care about the front LED to the extent that it might reflect other hardware issues.

If it's at all relevant, the only things I've added are a logitech wireless receiver, activated/updated Windows, downloaded nVidia drivers (love that there is no bloatware, thank you)

TL;DR:
    1) Any ideas for troubleshooting the LED?
    2) Does opening up the back actually void the warranty?
    3) (Not mentioned above): Is it possible to buy additional warranty/dead pixel insurance? There did not seem to be an option for that when buying the models that were on sale, but you could for the custom-ordered ones.

Thanks again!

8. ezradharma

ezradharma Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My Intel 9560 is behaving a lot like a Killer Card, random drops, had to disable and re-enable wifi constantly. Don't know if it's the antenna, the drivers, or both. Could try a dual wifi card solution like my last laptop.

9. Eluktronics

Eluktronics Company Representative

Reputations:
    Good morning, the LED light bar should be powered off by default when you are on battery unless you toggle it on in the Gaming Center. Is it powering on when you have it connected to the AC adapter? Try toggling off the "Colorful" option and let me know if that enables for you. It's extremely doubtful there is anything internally not connected. For the Gaming Center software, can you verify the version you downloaded and installed was from the MECH-15 G2R & MECH-17 G1R (RTX) drivers page and not the standard MECH-15 G2?

Opening the bottom panel doesn't void the warranty. After removal of all screws the bottom cover comes right off and you have access to your memory bay as well as the extra PCIe slot. Just keep in mind, there is one screw at the bottom center of your Mech-15 that is a different size than all of the others. If you only want to remove the bottom panel because of the LED light bar, hang off and let's troubleshoot the above.

You can buy an extended warranty here:

https://www.eluktronics.com/services/warranties/

We can not offer the dead pixel protection unless a system was purchased ahead of time with the option.

10. jml235

jml235 Newbie

Reputations:
    Wow, Will, much faster response than expected, thank you!

1) The light does not power on, either attached to the charger or on battery
    2) I toggled colorful in the Gamingcenter app, no change, tried restarting as well just in case, no luck
    3) Game Center installed version 2.0.1.3 from:https://www.eluktronics.com/mech-15-g2r-mech-17-g1r-2070-drivers/
    At some point in my trying to tease this out, I had come across a version of the Gaming Center sans animations, and that was the version I had installed when I initially asked the question here, went back to the original one with animations currently installed, toggling off "colorful," no dice
    4) I'm glad your suspicion is low that it is not an internal connection issue, I wasn't particularly excited to go poking around.