TONGFANG GK7CN6S / GK7CP0S / GK7CP7S

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by sicily428, Oct 17, 2018.

1. SlickDragon

SlickDragon Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Got a response from Eluktronics, apparently one can upgrade the thermal paste even for an order from newegg/amazon, by ordering for example this - https://www.eluktronics.com/mastergel-maker-to-cpu-gpu-thermal-compound-upgrade followed by copying the Order Number (that one got from Newegg/Amazon) in the Comments during payment info. Just want to avoid Expedited Shipping so that they will be able to apply the thermal paste in time, otherwise they have to meet a deadline and ship it out quickly.

Also this was what i got in response to asking about EluktroBoost "Yes, any Mech-15 or Mech-17 system with the 9th gen processor will receive the EluktroBoost feature so you will receive the 90 watts increase to the GPU when using the TurboBoost mode on your system."
    So seemingly the only time one would have access to increased TDP for Gpu is when using the TurboBoost mode, which is sorta unfortunate (due to the loud noise from Turbo) but makes sense i guess.

Regarding the 512 NVMe SSD, it can either be the 512GB Adata SX8200 Pro or "At minimum" the 500GB Eluktro Pro-X, but couldn't get the exact model confirmed.

Edit- Here is the standard Ram they use, such as in the Newegg deal i listed. Sadly is C19 so not the fastest- https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ct8g4sfs8266

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    Installed64 likes this.
  2. SlickDragon

Reputations:
    Not to double post, but this probably deserves it's own, got more details on EluktroBoost that explains why 9th gen can have it, and 8th gen can't -

"In regards to the EluktroBoost, that is actually hardware and software related but we decided to equip every 9th gen unit with the feature instead of charging extra for each. Our CEO took an evening to try switching the motherboard from a Mech-17 (Max-P 2070) in to the Mech-15 and found it was actually pretty capable to handle without thermal throttling even with the smaller fans the Mech-15 has. That led to a lot of back and forth with our ODM TongFang until we concluded on the option for a slight revision to the motherboard, a larger AC adapter and changing the TurboBoost mode to function differently. The TurboBoost mode button is where the software will enable the feature to run up to the wattages we've disclosed per graphics card depending on thermal temperatures. Opting for game mode or office mode will still retain the 80 watts. We were really hoping this could just be a BIOS solution so previous 8th gen customers could take part and simply upgrade the power supply, but there was a hardware change to the motherboard to complete the capability as well. "

3. undervolter0x0309

undervolter0x0309 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just hearing the CEO being this technical makes me want to order this bad boy (17") sooooooooo bad. Is it possible to switch the lcd back panel (where the logo goes) with the overpowered so my wife doesn't nag me about upgrading my laptop again? :p (I'm half joking)

edit: I guess ordering a custom OP sticker also works :)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    seahawk10 and SlickDragon like this.
  4. SlickDragon

Reputations:
    Yeh the detailed explanation and the quick and helpful responses via e-mail tech support from Eluktronics have me about ready to pull the trigger. Interesting that you also have the MSI GP73, since the other main option i was looking at is a MSI GP75 with 9750h and 1660ti. From gentechpc it's 1499 (https://www.gentechpc.com/product-p/msi-gp75-9sd-437.htm) and includes free thermal paste and fujipoly pad upgrades. With the 2% NBR promo code it comes out to $1469. So that is nearly $200 more for identical specs to the Mech 17 newegg deal +$25 MasterGel thermal upgrade = $1275. I prefer the more gamer friendly look of the MSI GP75, and seemingly the MSI speakers will be better than those on the underwhelming Mech 17 (not to mention the speaker driver issues). Performance though would seemingly favor the MECH 17, especially with the TDP increases ( 90W 1660ti should be able to match the 2060's which usually have the paltry 80W. If one opts for 2060, it's 115W should now outclass 2070 MQ tier). Only tradeoff for the EluktroBoost Watt increase seems to be it forces you to run Turbo Mode to activate it, and the over 50 decibel fans are not overly appealing tbh (would be nice if one could manually control the Fan Curve even during Turbo Mode. Maybe the program that was linked some pages ago can do that though, will have to check it out if i bite the bullet).

Would be nice if there was an updated video by a top tier reviewer such as Jarrod'sTech, Bob Of All Trades, or OWNorDisown for the 9750 and rtx series/gtx 1660 ti. I know Dave2d did a video, and his are ok for like a Snack, but a more thorough video with detailed analysis/benchmarks/temps and the like would be ideal.

Also since 9th gen intel mobile and 1660 ti JUST came out, there is still plenty of new/updated laptops that will be coming out in the next couple weeks. Just makes it harder to know if i wanna join the Tongfang Club right now, or wait a few more days. Still it's unlikely that anything else will out-value this in terms of specs, and price is most important to me (otherwise I'd be getting an Alienware 51m with 9700k and 2080).

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  5. undervolter0x0309

undervolter0x0309 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'd wait and yes they're all good options. MSI GP73 is such a pleasure but definitely caters to more heavy gamers than myself. I love the smaller footprint of the tongfang and mechanical keyboard. Performance has been awesome. I absolutely love this chassis. Strikes perfect balance between size and performance.

I think OwnOrDisown is receiving a test model from Eluktronics shortly! :) @OWNORDISOWN can confirm ;)

SlickDragon likes this.
  6. Installed64

Installed64 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @SlickDragon I got a great deal on the laptop in my signature for about $1250 shipped (CL 19 RAM and a single 500GB SSD). Not as good a deal as the OP version for $999, but I’m happy. The 1660Ti model for the same price I paid sounds like an excellent value. You may be getting up to a 30% performance boost over the 1060. Though if you can find a 2060 for just a bit more it might be worth it.

Thanks for the info from Eluktronic, very interesting! It would be nice to be able to get max wattage without committing to the full fans. I prefer to run my fans on auto, which is usually around 70% under load... less obnoxious than the loudest setting.

SlickDragon likes this.
  7. TheUberMedic

TheUberMedic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well dayum, I think that rules out us non US users getting that feature except from importing it ;-;

SlickDragon likes this.
  8. Master Stewie

Master Stewie Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Who wants to play in turbo boost anyway. The fans are very load than.

SlickDragon likes this.
  9. Riktar

Riktar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I agree, it doesn't make for the best experience but i'd bet that the majority of people game with a headset, which make it a non-issue.
    If you use decent external speakers, or even a good $30 2.0 system,the audio will easily drown them out. If you game with laptop audio ... then you're not living right :p

SlickDragon and Nicat93 like this.
  10. Master Stewie

Master Stewie Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you are always gaming at home and have place for a sound system, you can also buy a desktop :p.

SlickDragon likes this.