TONGFANG GK7CN6S / GK7CP0S / GK7CP7S

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by sicily428, Oct 17, 2018.

1. monroe1

monroe1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks thought so too. No G-sync sucks but the reviews look pretty good

2. AyoMayo

AyoMayo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Did you all see the new "EluktroBoost technology" listed on the Mech-17 page? Apparently they can boost the 2060 to 115 W and the 2070 to 125 W with the 9th gen CPU option. I wonder how they're doing this.

SlickDragon and Installed64 like this.
  3. Riktar

Riktar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The powerspec while is ridiculous value, especially if you can get a Microcenter open box deal, has very, VERY underwhelming keyboard. i had the i7 7700 1070 version on a trial basis and it was a struggle lol

4. TheUberMedic

TheUberMedic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Woah there, someone needs to look into this and see if it can be applied to the other models!
    My guess is that if the brick cant give enough power, it'll use the battery :/

5. Bauble

Bauble Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was struggling with the same decision a couple weeks ago, and I ended up going with the Mech17. What pushed me in that direction was the realization that I'd game most frequently on an external G-Sync monitor, so I didn't really need it on the laptop, and the Mech17 is smaller & lighter than the 1720.

Also, I just got off the phone with Eluktronics regarding the EluktroBoost tech. It sounds like it is hardware based and built into the motherboard with the new i7-9750H and that the powerbrick can supply more watts. They said it won't be possible to enable it on my laptop with the i7-8750H... :(

However, they did offer to allow me to return my laptop for the upgrade. It'd be $200 more for the i7-9750H and the possibility of getting 10 more watts to my 2070... Would that be a worthwhile upgrade? Decisions, decisions...

The fact that there hasn't really been any benchmarks comparing a 115w 2070 vs 125w 2070 or heat reviews comparing the 8750 vs 9750 makes the decision much more difficult to make...

Installed64 likes this.
  6. monroe1

monroe1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Same the arrivial of i7-9750 has made things more complicated. Though I think I'll stick with 8750h cause I have no idea if the mech17 will be able to cool the 9750h sufficiently.

7. AyoMayo

AyoMayo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If the 9750h 2060 can hold the 115 W boost well, it most likely performs better than the current 8750h 2070 combo, considering the performance difference between the 2060 and 2070 is already so small. I'm disappointed that the TDP of the 2070 was boosted by a measly 10 W when compared to the 2060 being boosted by a whopping 25 W.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  8. Bauble

Bauble Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    OWNorDisown did a nice comparison of the 8750h vs 9750h. Here are my three takeaways:

1. It seems like the 9750h, on average, pulls about 10 to 15 fewer watts during the same tests as the 8750h. Most likely, that is where the extra wattage is coming from for the Eluktroboost.

2. However, despite pulling fewer watts, the final chart shows that the 9750h runs 5 degrees C hotter than the 8750h running the same tests. This is counterintuitive given the lower power-draw. Perhaps it is the result of other variables?

3. On the whole, the 9750h doesn't seem like that much of an improvement to me. I'm inclined to just keep my 8750h+2070 combo. I really wish there was a 115w 2070 vs 125w 2070 comparison...

Decisions, decisions...

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  9. seahawk10

seahawk10 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Has anyone ever brought their LED bar back to life after BIOS upgrade?

I don't want this to get lost!

undervolter0x0309 likes this.
  10. seahawk10

seahawk10 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I found this fix on Own or Disown:

Solution #1 (Tested on BIOS 1.04) a) Reboot into BIOS, pressing DEL key b) From Advanced Menu under: Keyboard BackLight Features Change Light Effect to something else (mine was set to [Wave], I set it to [Rainbow]) c) Save settings and reboot into Windows d) Reboot back into BIOS e) Perform (b) and (c) above but this time in (b) set the Light Effect back to the original setting. [Wave]

Solution #2 (Tested on BIOS 1.08) a) From a laptop with a working Light Bar, export the following registry key using RegEdit utility Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\OEM\GamingCenter b) Copy this registry file to the machine with the broken light bar c) Import this registry file into the machine in (b) by double clicking on the file d) Reboot e) If the light bar still is not working, perfom Solution 1 above.

Can someone with a working lightbar email me the registry key in solution #2?

I will PM you my email address.

undervolter0x0309 likes this.