TONGFANG GK7CN6S / GK7CP0S / GK7CP7S

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by sicily428, Oct 17, 2018.

1. hodgeMN

hodgeMN Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I would get 64 GB - 2 of the new 32GB modules.

2. hodgeMN

Reputations:
    Bauble, Installed64 and seahawk10 like this.
  3. badmod

badmod Newbie

Reputations:
    Sure, why not.

4. badmod

badmod Newbie

Reputations:
    I feel that way but I was overpowered and it's hard to go back.

Riktar likes this.
  5. Riktar

Riktar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Haha I can relate, I tend to be the same way. 32 gb for your use case will offer literally no benefits and you won't even be able to feel it anywhere... other than your wallet lol.

6. undervolter0x0309

undervolter0x0309 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    LamsonMusic likes this.
  7. biggietm

biggietm Newbie

Reputations:
    Question for the OP owners or this chasis's experts, please bear with me.

I have the OP 17+ and am on the fence with switching out the goldkey RAM modules (32gb x 2) for something like the Corsairs or HyperX's. I'll also upgrade the SSDs to 970 EVO and 870 EVO, and take out the HDD for better airflow. I'd keep all of the old parts just for warranty purposes (I know, I can push them on how warranty stickers can't void my warranty if I'm just doing a simple hardware upgrade, but I'm hesitant and would keep the old parts anyway). I don't game, and this machine will be for web development work. Is my upgrade use case even worth it? Or am I better off waiting for the 2 year warranty to run out before I refresh my system with these new (hopefully cheaper by then) parts?

I'm starting to think I'm just throwing $400 worth of upgrades out the window just to have a "more performant" machine that I won't actually make good use of. Help!

Thanks in advance for any calming advice you gurus have!

PS - I have a 2015 MacBook Pro with 16gb RAM and a 512gb SSD which has lasted me the past 2 years doing the same web development work (docker, reactjs, sublime text, chrome, Spotify, Slack, some Microsoft products). I just needed a secondary machine to leave at work so I don't have to lug my machine back and forth.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

8. hodgeMN

Reputations:
    Outside of benchmarks, I seriously doubt you will notice any real world difference in system performance by moving to faster ram. Also, for warranty purposes you are best to have the original config available if you need to send it in.

biggietm, LamsonMusic and Installed64 like this.
  9. silverwolf0

silverwolf0 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hello. Haven't been here in a while. I had sent out my cyberpower tracer 17 to get the keyboard fixed (it didn't work at all) and they had it for over a month because they were waiting for a new motherboard to arrive. When it finally came back, the keyboard looked newer and less spongy and the rgb backlight looked cleaner. There was also plastic on the touchpad and top bezel. I guess it came with the new motherboard.

Anyway, when I booted up the device it didn't have the cyberpower logo but instead an American megatrends logo. I went into the bios and it looked like some generic bios from June of last year.

https://imgur.com/a/Qv0ptm2

Do you think I will have any trouble flashing it with something newer? I actually want to sell the notebook now and get it back to the stock cyberpower bios.

Another issue is the light bar/strip on the front does not work. It is suppose to pulse with the keyboard on boot but it never turns on. I don't know if it's because of the older bios or if the ribbon cable is torn somewhere.

There is also a broken or missing clip on the right side of the laptop where the bottom snaps into where the two usb ports are. There's a 1-2mm gap. Doesn't matter how hard I squeeze it doesn't even get close to flush.
    https://imgur.com/a/r7apNWC

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 3:56 AM
    Installed64 likes this.
  10. Bauble

Bauble Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for posting this! I've had my eye on this forum for months, and finally pulled the trigger on this amazing deal!

I called their toll-free number posted on their website to confirm that the RAM was 2x8 dual channel and not 1x16. Imagine my surprise when an ACTUAL PERSON picked up the phone after 2 rings! I gave him my order number and had my question answered in less than a minute from when I dialed. It is indeed dual-channel RAM.

He then also took the time to give me details of the thermal compound upgrade I ordered and assured me that they'd do a re-paste for free if it was not satisfactory, and also that they'd run tests for any dead pixels before shipping it out.

Incredible customer service! A+++ so far!