TONGFANG GK7CN6S / GK7CP0S / GK7CP7S

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by sicily428, Oct 17, 2018.

1. LamsonMusic

LamsonMusic Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Not sure in regards to the bios. But from what I've gathered they are interchangeable between vendors if you choose a comparable configuration (ie. The same gpu/cpu options). I know companies like eluktronics keep their support pages up to date with the most recent bios versions. You could always cross reference with the version available on their website.

Bradk_1749 likes this.
  2. Riktar

Riktar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I currently have the latest BIOS according to Elulktronics (v 1.02), as @LamsonMusic mentioned, the BIOS varies between 1060/2060/2070 units and some are american megatrends and others vendor branded.

Apparently the new Eluktronics Bios has removed the ability to hit the turbo fan but instead swaps between gaming and office mode... which is kind of lame lol

LamsonMusic likes this.
  3. LamsonMusic

Reputations:

Good point. I didn't even think of the change to the turbo button with the new bios. Then again I switched my fan profile to the user created fan manager found a few pages back in this thread. I have it set to run the fans at turbo speed whenever Temps excede 65 degrees. So much easier than having to toggle the turbo fans through the gaming center every time I want to sit down and play.

4. Riktar

Reputations:
    Oh, really? Would you happen to have the link readily available, might give that a go, I'd much rather have it automated too.

5. LamsonMusic

Reputations:
    Riktar likes this.
  6. Fastidious Reader

Fastidious Reader Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Dunno Eluktronics says they do a clean install

7. Riktar

Reputations:
    thanks! can't wait to set it up and tinker with it.

So far, i gotta say i'm really impressed with this unit. For $1800, it's a hell of a package :i7, rtx2070, 144hz Screen, 16gb 2666mhz ram, 1TB NVME SSD + 128gb , Liquid Metal, Dead pixel warranty.

Pros:
    • The build quality is pretty robust. the top lid feel solid, it's relatively thin aluminum so it's not Omen X build or AW magnesium but it's right up there with the Asus and MSI metals.
    • Performance is ridiculous. I ran some basic stability benchmarks and ran Apex for 2+ hours and the highest recorded temp was 81 on synthetics (occt and aida 64) and hovers at 71-74 while gaming.
    • The screen is snappy and bright!! I'm coming from a 120hz (and 144hz which was plagued with screen bleed) and this is a nice surprise. Very minimal screen bleed and 144hz, with a relatively low response time. (9ms based on Eluktronics specs)
    • My previous Omen X 17 has a phenomenal mechanical keyboard and this one, is right up there with it. I was worried about the camped layout but I haven't had an issue yet. It stays cool under load and +1 on adding backlight on the FN. It isn't as tactile and clicky as the omen X but i chose the brown switches on purpose. My wife was not a happy camper with me clickity-clackin' in bed at night lol.
    • The chassis has little to no flex around the keyboard and solid around the palm rest area.
    • I absolutely love the thin bezels and the form factor as whole. Being this compact i'm now able to fit this laptop in my Northface Router backpack, in the actually built in sleeve. It's super and snug and doesn't scrape on the zipper.
    Cons:
    • Top lid "bobbles" a bit more than i'd like it to. It's operating as it should, it's smooth as butter and stays put at all angles but if i move the laptop it just bobbles back and forth for a second. Not sure if it's because of the weight on the hinge or i'm just nitpicking.
    • Bottom panel plastic is very soft and has more give than i'd like. i'm worried about long term effects especially with heat cycles and plastic drying out (common problem on both of my Sagers)
    Meh
    • RGB is not really a Con or a Pro but more of a Meh Imo. I'm glad it a per-key RGB but it's also not too hot. It's nice to have options but the animations and options are choppy/clunky. It's also not that bright, if you're coming for regular backlighting, it's more than adequate, but if you've been exposed to good RGB, it leaves more to be desired.
    • Sound is meh. It's a non-issue for me as I use headsets when gaming or browsing
    • Gaming Center software - It's good that it comes with one, and while it's not as intuitive as the mainstream brand ones (Omen, AW, ROG, MSI) it's still MUCH better than the ones i had on my Sagers but it does look dated, un-intuitive, and just lackluster.

Arondel and Installed64 like this.
  8. Riktar

Reputations:
    Okay, so just ran into my first issue - anyone experiencing issues with GeForce experience? I'm able to run games and do pretty much everything on and off battery but as soon as I open GeForce experience and start pressing buttons (scanning for games or any tab) I get a BSOD with error listed as "VIDEO_MEMORY_MANAGEMENT".

It was all working fine yesterday but I upgraded to the latest driver from Nvidia and latest GeForce experience version. Is everyone upgrading drivers or sticking with the vendor ones?

9. LamsonMusic

Reputations:
    This is good to know. I've updated my drivers through GeForce without issue. But i think my last update was a few weeks ago (around the time of the anthem game ready driver update). I'm hoping this isn't a widespread issue. Have you tried doing a reinstall of GeForce experience?

10. jrwingate6

jrwingate6 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What are the benefits of GeForce? I always just manually download my drivers.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk