TONGFANG GK7CN6S / GK7CP0S / GK7CP7S

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by sicily428, Oct 17, 2018.

1. XXITheUniverse

XXITheUniverse Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So, I purchased a OP17+ also to test, and then I will return the one I like least. But if I stick with the OP17+, it sadly only has a 5400RPM drive. So i will likely need to upgrade storage right away. I saw people discussing the M.2 Slots, and I have some questions.

• When it comes to using the Second M.2 Slot w/ a PCIE m.2 SSD, will the fact it will only support 2 lane be limiting?
    • If the second slot will in fact be limiting to the point of it affecting performance, how difficult will it be to migrate the OS to a new bigger m.2 PCIE/SATA SSD, and what ones are recommended. I am looking for roughly a terabyte.
    • If the battery packs come back in stock, would the same battery modification be usable?

2. deprest

deprest Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just got my 17" unit. I'm happy to report its keyboard is *much* better than the 15. Those hexagonal shape on the key surfaces provide noticeably more contour for my fingers than the completely flat keys on the 15. It's not as much contour as I would like (coming from a Thinkpad keyboard) but it'll definitely do the trick.

As expected, the 32GB is 2x16GB, with the timings detected as 19-15-15-31 by memtest86+

Also, I don't see any PWM on display at its default brightness (measured with my mirrorless camera), at least on the memtest86+ display that's running now (I test the memory of all my new notebooks, to prevent any future issues/data corruption). Will need to check at various brightness levels once it finishes memtest86+

Edit: Under Windows I see PWM at all brightness levels except for the 100% brightness setting.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    Arondel likes this.
  3. deprest

Reputations:
    At 50% brightness I measured the 17's PWM at 1Khz.

Arondel likes this.
  4. XXITheUniverse

XXITheUniverse Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What did you take the measurements with?

5. deprest

Reputations:
    I measure PWM with a mirrorless camera. I take an exposure using it's electronic shutter, count the number of exposure bands in the photo, then multiply that by the full-sensor readout time of the camera's sensor.

6. Installed64

Installed64 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If mobility is king, it seems 15.6" is the better option. I would recommend it for school. The downside of the 15" however is the keycap style... If you're willing to get a larger bag then the 17" is relatively streamlined.

1. The screen on the 17" is pretty awesome. It's LG, but I haven't looked at the model number.
    2. I believe you won't see much better thermal temps 17" chassis compared to the 15", but it certainly won't be worse.
    3. AFAIK, everything is identical on the inside, so at least drivers are interchangeable. Someone would have to confirm on the BIOS/EC (check with Own or Disown on Youtube).

THIS IS ABSOLUTE GOLD.

Great to hear the comparison between the two keyboards! Also thanks for confirming what we suspected regardintg the dual channel RAM. You would probably do well to sell both sticks now and buy 8x2GB, you'd come out ahead.

7. Installed64

Installed64 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @silverwolf0 By the way, what was CyberpowerPC thinking when they applied those badges... so off-kilter! Mine are the same way and they're probably going to come off.

8. silverwolf0

silverwolf0 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I don't even know what they say. I'm so use to stickered up laptops it all blends in together now

9. Jack_D098

Jack_D098 Newbie

Reputations:
    Do resellers use different screens? Just wondering since silverwolf0 says his is an AUO panel while Installed64 says it's an LG panel. Walmart says it's 17" panel has a 5ms response time and so I assumed it was the same AUO panel as that on the 17" Scar II and TUF models.

Also are the keycaps the only difference between the 15" and 17" keyboards? They look about the same size and layout.

10. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The 17" version uses an AUO panel while the 15" uses an LG panel.