TONGFANG GK7CN6S / GK7CP0S / GK7CP7S

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by sicily428, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Zill

Zill Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

It looks like the 15 has the same mobo, it would explain the free space next to it and makes sense in order to cut cost on R&D and production

But yes does someone have the 17 inch mobo number please? It would help me out a great deal! Thaaaaaaaaanks!!

2. TomoPrime

TomoPrime Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey Lucas. Looking forward to hearing how well your replacement went. I also hope the next NVIDIA driver push is coming soon.

3. Installed64

Installed64 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I can't help with RTX part numbers but I will say that I find the 17" to be fairly portable. I fit it into this bag (which I paid $35 for) and there is ample room for the laptop, AC adapter, and a large collection of accessories. The dimensions of the 17" laptop are 15.5" x 10.25 x 1" (thickness varies from front to back).

The hexagonal keys look awesome to me, and the typing experience it not terrible. They don't scream business or gamer, but exude a subtle retro vibe.

@Zill It seems to me with the 90w performance of the 2070mq, you are already getting excellent performance out of the 15" and should probably keep the 15" if you prefer its features and form factor. I am following your exploits with great interest! Could it be that not only the motherboards are identical, but that they are using the exact same graphics chips as well? It would make sense that they just run the same GPU at lower voltage in the 15" and call it a Max-Q... but I am not sure how that works.

Zill likes this.
  4. LamsonMusic

LamsonMusic Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    It will be delivered back to me on Monday. And I have to say, the customer support there really is great. I got a call about an hour after their closing time on Wednesday from a guy named Brian. He gave me a full update on what he had tested so far, and actually looked at the included screenshot of msi afterburner showing a log of the temps.

As I suspected (and he confirmed) there was a poor application of thermal compound. Most notably was the fact that only one of the cpu cores was jumping in temperature. He had already reapplied the paste by the time he called me and was nice enough to run a few benchmarks with me on the phone and provide temperature feedback and benchmark scores.

All in all it was annoying to have to send the computer back but their customer service really was phenomenal (nothing like the horror stories of past experiences with companies like Acer). Regardless I'll give a full update at the beginning of the week and hopefully be able to contribute further to the thread if questions arise.

TomoPrime and Installed64 like this.
  5. Zill

Zill Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I tried the new driver 418.91 ( i think?) and I get a different error message but still not working
    @ezradharma

Yes, cyberpower have confirmed that the motherboards are the same between the 15 and 17 and that all the 2070 are compatible regardless of size. But coming from Cyberpower I'm still being careful, and would like to see the motherboard number for myself so I can crosscheck with mine.

Imo, They are segmenting the cards via firmware (vbios) and to also adapt the same 2070 to different thermal designs depending on the laptop.

I was very happy with the 90W results and would've left it at that if it wasn't for losing the mini dp functionality.

However now I have more information and managed to find a way to flash the 17's rtx 2070 115W vbios I am VERY tempted to try it out. I would benefit even better performance and have mini dp support. I don't think the cooling is good enough for 115W of heat dissipation but I don't have to use all the power budget, reducing the clocks should do just fine and running max fans too. Will let you guys know if I take the plunge !

The new driver 418.91 doesn't work. I don't understand I was told it would be fixed with next release. Cmon! I get a different error message this time tho and I don't know if it could be because I'm running windows in unsigned driver compatibility mode..?

Maybe you guys will have better luck!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    steberg and Installed64 like this.
  6. Cerreta28

Cerreta28 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I hope this diver thing gets fixed I’m thinking about sending mine back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. ezradharma

ezradharma Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I heard from many RTX owners, this problem is RTX Laptop wide, not just tongfang laptops.

8. TomoPrime

TomoPrime Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That’s is true. You now wonder on launch which of the 40 NVIDIA decided were the chosen ones to get RTX driver support. Hope it’s not as slow as FreeSync.

Edit: typo

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  9. Zill

Zill Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    418.91 is now installing through "Gefrost" Experience.

Enjoy.

roakes and LamsonMusic like this.
  10. Edward M.

Edward M. Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ----------HELP----------

Hey everyone just got my OP 17 yesterday and I was updating driver and bios and my light bar stopped working!

I heard from OwNorDisown YT video on his OP 17 review that people who update to 1.08 led stop working. All I wanted was the turbo button feature, but when I upgraded mine by double-clicking in efiwin F bat file to run command prompt it updated to the latest (1.08) and now I have no way of using the light bar even after a fresh install of everything.

Hopefully, if I downgrade back to 1.06 this will fix the issue if not can anyone confirm a compatible bios from a different vendor that will 100% work with the OP 17 and maybe even better. (Of course, I don't mind a different splash screen and having to swap the gaming control center to their version of that vendor)

someone, please advise for a different/better bios or how to downgrade away from 1.08 to like 1.06 to get my light bar to work again.